Anyone else get Terrible Migraines when it is Hot?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to the Asparagus Festival then I got a terrible Migraine which still has not gone away. It seems everytime I got to a fair or festival whe it is hot this happens. I am allowed to take 3 Pills and if they do not work then they said get a Shot.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually get about two or three migraines a month in the summer time, and rarely get them in the winter.. maybe only one the entire winter if I do.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You were in close proximity to Evil Asparagus, that's what caused it! Get away from that stuff!

No, seriously, could it have been too much sunlight, or maybe dehydration as fwan suggested? Or if the festival was out near an asparagus field, maybe you were exposed to fertilizers or pesticides...

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have seasonal allergies? I find that often my sinus headaches turn into migraines when I'm outside in the heat. Also, make sure you get a LOT of water and eat plenty of food, even if you don't feel hungry, but it's been a while since you last ate.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gotten alot of migraines in the past three weeks. But I just ended up taking some meds for them and they never got past the point of untorrerable.
Sorry you're feeling poopy. Like the others have said, maybe you dehydrated yourself, or had to much sun in one day.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too get bad migraines when it is really warm. I also get them the humdity levels go haywire before a big storm front when the weather is cooler. If you were outside all day in really warm weather it is possible you are dehydrated. If you are able to keep liqiuds down try sipping on some Gatorade. This has helped me sometimes during the summer. I hope you feel better soon so you do not have to go get a shot.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I get them fairly often and the weather is never a factor. I wish I didn't have them at all.
same here...
here's my stuff that helps when i get them.
1st. i try tylenol [i can't take nsaids anymore].
2nd. i try my prescription painkiller.
3rd. i try my imitrex injections.
sometimes the tylenol will do it, especially if i catch it early. sometimes the painkiller will do it. if neither of those work, i'll do the shot - but they're expensive, so i try them last. otoh, they almost always work!
prior to my WLS, i would take a combo of OTC nsaids instead of the tylenol. dosage will vary depending on your size, but take at least 1 otc migraine med [like exedrin], 1 ibuprofen [advil] & 1 ketoprofen [orudis KT]. somehow the combination was more effective than any one by itself.
oh, & in your particular case - this sounds suspiciously like heat stroke or heat exhaustion.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that your day was ruined like that.
I hate it when stuff like that happens!

I agree with everyone else, focus on rehydrating yourself today. Gatorade is nasty...but it should help. Your other option is eating something salty and drinking plenty of water. Drinks with caffeine may or may not help you, as a vasoconstrictor it can help with headaches but it also causes dehydration.

The standard dark room with a cool washcloth may help you some, or at least help you to relax. If you can tolerate having your neck and head rubbed, have someone do that for you. Tense muscles can make the migraine worse or harder to get rid of.
How's your blood pressure? High or low? If that factors in then migraine meds may not help at all.

I hope you get to feeling better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks All,
I aways bring alot of Water when we go to Fairs and Festivals. It happens everytime it is Hot. If its 80 or less I am ok. I get Migraines all the time too. I have Maxalt from thr Dr. They said take 1 Pill and if that dosent work take another but not more then 3. If that still dosent help go to Er and get a Shot.
I have Hay Fever too. The Tylenol never helps my Migraines. I had to take 3 Pills last night. I take Advil Migraine too. I am ok if its Hot and we do not go outside in it for a long time. I have had Migraines for over 25 Years. Alot of times I get the Auras and take the Meds fast and it will stop them from coming.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

same here...
here's my stuff that helps when i get them.
1st. i try tylenol [i can't take nsaids anymore].
2nd. i try my prescription painkiller.
3rd. i try my imitrex injections.
sometimes the tylenol will do it, especially if i catch it early. sometimes the painkiller will do it. if neither of those work, i'll do the shot - but they're expensive, so i try them last. otoh, they almost always work!
prior to my WLS, i would take a combo of OTC nsaids instead of the tylenol. dosage will vary depending on your size, but take at least 1 otc migraine med [like exedrin], 1 ibuprofen [advil] & 1 ketoprofen [orudis KT]. somehow the combination was more effective than any one by itself.
oh, & in your particular case - this sounds suspiciously like heat stroke or heat exhaustion.
I don't take tylenol because it doesn't do anything for me and it really kills your liver. That is the last thing I want to be reminded of.

I try Excedrin Migraine and if that doesn't work, I try advil. Sometimes vice versa. Normally, one or the other works.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Excedrin Migrane dosnt work for me. The Worse thing is when you think its another type of headache and take Meds for another type of headache. I get Sinus headaches too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I don't take tylenol because it doesn't do anything for me and it really kills your liver. That is the last thing I want to be reminded of.

I try Excedrin Migraine and if that doesn't work, I try advil. Sometimes vice versa. Normally, one or the other works.
Excedrin is acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine. Tylenol is acetaminophen. Thus technically you do take tylenol, just not under that particular brand name.

Excedrin migraine is the same thing as the extra strength formula, and you can also get a generic of the same combination.

Non of the over the counter stuff would help my migraines either and I don't get enough of them anymore to bother getting a specific migraine med for them. The NCS is have been diagnosed with has migraines listed as one of the issues people with it deal with, so I suspect that it was just how that was primarily effecting me when I was younger.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I am scared to take the Maxalt because it says it can cause chest tightness.
all of the triptans can raise blood pressure, [possibly the tightness side effect?] because they're vaso-constrictors - that's how they work. have you taken any of them in the past? do you have high blood pressure? i checked - they all have that side effect, but i've never experienced it.
my migraines will actually raise my blood pressure [when i was heavier, to fairly scary levels] so it's better for me to relieve the pain, even if it causes a slight elevation in my BP - it still doesn't shoot as high as it can when the migraine is at its peak.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I dont have High Bp.
if you're still suffering, you should try the Maxalt. like i said, the chest tightness is also a listed side effect of Imitrex, which i use - but i've never experienced it.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hot weather is definitely a trigger for me too, as is bright sunshine. We've had a couple of heat waves this year already, and I was getting the initial symptoms on both. Tylenols do work for me if I catch it early, and I did, on both occasions, though I had to take 4 of them on each day. By the way, I have a small website about migraines - http://migraine-notes.com/ - , with a list of potential migraine triggers on there.