I pride myself in having patience with my cats... BUT..

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I purchased a new desk and credenza for my office. The cats are not doing well. They CONSTANTLY jump up and start pushing things off the desk. They also climb my legs and basically just get in the way. I wouldn't mind this from time to time but it's constant.

I've gotten to the point I'm quickly starting to lose my patience and I don't know what to do. I don't believe in spanking animals and these guys have never been hit. But I honestly don't know what to do.

This is bad. I mean they sometimes jump into my lap then cling on the back of my chair (cloth) and climb my back to get to the top of the chair. Of course it's excrutiatingly painful, even with trimmed claws.

Any suggestions?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course hitting them is a
. Loud sound works for me. I have this roll of "cartolina" paper (what postcards are made of). The cats scatter when I hit the wall or desk or chair with it. I keep it hidden though. They are only scared by the sound it makes. If they get hold of it, they'll tear it to pieces.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Certainly not a stupid question at all. Unfortunately no there isn't. I didn't set my office up in my spare room. I put it in the dining area. I did this because I didn't want to have to buy another TV etc.

I am just coming off a contract now and when I'm not on a job I spend approximately 18 hours a day on my PC. I thought about locking the cats in a room but that's just too long. Of course I can do that at odd times but I just feel like that's punishment.

Ugh.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give them an alternative like a cat condo in the room. But you have a new piece of furniture and of course they are going to be curious, particularly if you are paying attention to something on the said furniture (your computer).

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good idea. I got them a scratching post with a ball on a spring on top while I was shopping at Wal-Mart today. Figured they'd like that, and they certainly do.

They don't even get on the desk when I'm gone. it's only when I'm here. But I can be sitting on the couch in the other room and they'll get on. It's irritating because they get on the desk, then push off everything they can with their paws. They aren't trying to be messy, they're just pawing at the stuff, but it still makes a huge mess. lol

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens learn about the world through the exploration they're doing. I'd like to tell you that as they grow older, they won't push stuff off, but I'd be lying.

One thing that works for my cats is to put a sheet of paper on the floor. They love to lie on it.

As someone else mentioned, a cat tree that they can climb and lie down and watch you, perhaps with some toys on the various "landings." My cats like to be in my office when I'm in here. Punkin likes to lie on the windowsill or on top of a karaoke machine or in a shoe box top or on a piece of paper. Sterling likes being on top of the guitar amplifier, which is looking a little the worse for wear.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I got this far
. I've got dual monitors on this PC and she's fixated on one while I work on the other.

marjan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
maybe you can try cat repllent spray.

or

Some do swear water spray works! Just shoot them with the water when ever they go places where you don't want 'em to go. But watch out for the water since this is not a kitchen counter

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All my cats seem to be scared of the air can.

When they do something bad, I just take the air can and point it at them. They usually squint their eyes a bit and take off, but if they don't, I let it hiss just a little and they take off.

whitewillow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Well I got this far
. I've got dual monitors on this PC and she's fixated on one while I work on the other.

LOL that is great!

smirkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

They don't even get on the desk when I'm gone. it's only when I'm here. But I can be sitting on the couch in the other room and they'll get on. It's irritating because they get on the desk, then push off everything they can with their paws. They aren't trying to be messy, they're just pawing at the stuff, but it still makes a huge mess. lol
Get a kitty condo or two and set them up near your desk. I have one shelf on my computer desk cleared off, and I put a kitty blanket on it. Randy sits there happily (only occasionally showing an interest in my cursor). Major Tom sits right next to him on a microwave cart (sans microwave) with another kitty blanket. When either makes a move toward the "no no" part of my desk, they get a loud "TSSSSSSSSSST!", and then a "goo'boy" when they move back to the kitty-safe area.

They want to be near you! They know they could help you with your work, if you'd only let them!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just for clarification....

A kitty condo is one of those wood poles with a couple platforms on it that cats can climb and there are places they can lay in different spots, right?

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i call mine a cat tree but that is what you are describing. i bought one for my 2 reprobates a few weeks ago and they love it! it has 2 platforms, scratching posts with mice on elastic hidden in them, balls on strings hanging down, it's great!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page with kitty condo. but cat tree is what I've called it too. So it's the same thing.

I'm going to go get one today. I saw some at Petsmart for about $130.00 Does that seem about right?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can get them for a good deal less than that, if the price is a concern. You can even buy them online on e-bay for next to nothing, but the shipping is pretty hefty. Check Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

Somebody else mentioned a squirter. I've used a little spray bottle, set on "stream," essentially like a squirtgun to get the cats to stay away from some place.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another noise maker you might try is a soda can with a couple of pennies in it. It makes quite a racket. If you shake it each time they jump up on the desk, they may stay off. My Toby hates the sound of my blow dryer. If he is pestering me in the morning while I'm trying to get ready for work all I have to do is pick up the blow dryer and ZOOM!, hes gone.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol. that works for me with the vacuum cleaner. They scamper away the moment I open the closet.

I thought about the squirt bottle but since I've got thousands of dollars worth of electronics on my desk that might not be a good solution

Money isn't really the issue on the cat tree but nobody wants to spend more than they have to. I'll check that out starting today.

Thanks for all the help!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure the base is steady. In my zeal to find a deal I bought one that could not hold up to kitten play. It toppled over.