TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok.

1. Luxor likes to wake us up anywhere from 3.30-5.00am
2. We ignore him for as long as we can.
3. We then put him in the 'kitty room'
This used to work. He'd just lay down and go to sleep again
4. Luxor figured out how to open the closet doors.
5. We had to wedge the 'kitty room' closet doors shut with a heavy metal music stand.
6. Luxor figured out how to open OUR closet doors (the two closets are connected by a cat door.
7. We bought rubber wedges to slide under the closet doors so we could remove the music stand.
8. Luxor chewed up the rubber wedge in his room. Back to the music stand.
9. Early this morning we put Luxor in his room and the noise he was making trying to get the stand out was AWFUL. I was afraid he'd hurt his paw or teeth.

I can't have that again tonight. But I'm at a loss at what to do. I will be very very very grumpy and angry if I can't sleep as long as I need to. And I'm going back to work soon so I won't be able to take a nap when needed.

The whole reason we put him in the 'kitty room' is because he'll sit at our door forEVER (like over a half hour) and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow and meow (get my picture?) until it drives you insane. He does it to DH when he's using the bathroom in the morning. Something about a closed door.

suggestions? I don't want to do the vacuum thing unless I have to because Stoli is fine. I don't want to scare him. He sleeps all night with me and gets up when it's time to get up with the humans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my god, no one has replied to this thread and it's almost time for me to go to bed!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess, IMO, I'd try to vacuum thing. It's probably the fastest option....and the more tired you get the less patience you'll have.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid I won't hear what I need to if I use earplugs........

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first time I had a cat start waking me up at all hours of the night, I nipped it in the butt! Literally.

On my very next day off I stayed home and dedicated my entire day to making sure my cat stayed awake! No naps at all. If I caught her napping I went and woke her up and played with her. If she went off to hide, I dug her out. I did that for the entire day until I was ready to go to bed. The poor girl was practically asleep on her feet and had bags under her eyes. But she slept all night long and every night after that.

Now when I get a cat I do that right away.

And as they get older they tend to not be as active and want to sleep more, so that helps too.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When are you feeding him? I had to stop feeding my cats when I woke up because Gus would terrorize me while I was trying to sleep around 5:30/6 every morning. He's slowly getting the picture and has stopped trying to wake me up by biting my head. Now he just lays by my face and purrs loudly, but at least I can sleep through that.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed him about 20 minutes after we get up.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dang I wish I asked this question earlier - i'm sure he's sleeping right now and I only have one day of vacation left!~

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can suggest is having a hard play session for 10-15 mins before bed....some nice treats and go to bed. See if that helps.

Does he have toys out he can play with while you are asleep?

Unfortuantely I don't think this can be resolved tonite. But keep at it. My cats now know that i will in NO WAY pay attention to them until I AM READY. I had to endure a few sleepless nights but it was worth it.

They would try and try....meowing loudly in my ear...even nipping my face to get my attention!
I just made sure we had play time at night before bed and again when I did get up. Also nice food before bed and when I got up. Lots of attention once I did get up....but absolutely no recognition if it was an unacceptable hour!

They have there favorite toys to occupy themselves with and each other, also i keep some blinds open so they can look out the windows.

One of the cats still bugs my roomate at 4 every morning but thats because she gives her attention when she does.

Tough love!
Luxor will get the hint eventually. Sounds like he is just needy and misses you when you are asleep....it's sweet really.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do NOT feed him as soon as you get up. It will be hard, but doing that is a sure way to turn him into an alarm clock.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

We feed him about 20 minutes after we get up.
Are they on wet or dry food? If it's dry food, try switching meal time to before you go to sleep instead of 20 minutes after you wake up. If he's waking you up there's a good chance he's either bored or hungry, so I would switch his meal time, and remember to rotate toys (give him half for a week and put the other half away, then switch off because I know mine get really bored of the same ol' toys).

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

The only thing I can suggest is having a hard play session for 10-15 mins before bed....some nice treats and go to bed. See if that helps
I agree, though I'd play longer. Assuming EM's are about as active as Oci's, I play with them for a good 1/2 hour before bed and they all have slept through the night since kittens.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well - then I'll try that tonight. He's just as picky about his toys as stoli is - and it's hit or miss if I find the one he wants to play with.

On a side note - Luxor has eaten something he shouldn't have - don't know what it looks like food, not plastic or parts of a toy. And now his stomach is upset. If he still gets sick later today - I'm going to have to take him to the evet.

Anyone know if Mesculan Salad is poisonous to cats? I think Luxor may have gotten a piece of lettuce yesterday.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

Anyone know if Mesculan Salad is poisonous to cats? I think Luxor may have gotten a piece of lettuce yesterday.
Not that I'm aware of. One of our cats loved lettuce and ate some every time I did.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my sister's cat has a tendency to try to 'wake the humans up' on the days that they want to sleep in... they do wet food in the morning. i suggested they switch to an evening wet feeding like i do. while mine are usually happy to see the fresh kibble, it's not like the reaction in the evenings when it's 'wet food time'!
hope Luxor's tummy is ok, btw!

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to have this problem with one of ours not long after we moved house. The OH felt sorry for them having to sleep in the living room so decided to have them in the bedroom with us and as a result for almost 4 months I ended up on average with about 3 hours of sleep a night because Pixel would sit at the door and wail until you open it.

Now I just stick them both into the livingroom and leave a light on, that way they don't think we have gone to bed and since they don't wear watches or even understand the concept of time, they think we are coming right back and don't end up meowing at all hours of the night like they used to.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stoli wears a Rolex.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the story of a cat person's life, isn't it?
I don't feed my cat first thing when I wake up, doesn't matter though, still annoying. If I were you and you can I would get an automatic feeder, make that the new feeder, not you. Sounds like your cat would bust it open so you might have to make a creative design.
A play session, like an hour, before bed is good.

We finally made a totally cat safe room where kitty sleeps at night on most nights, she kept waking us up, and if left out to roam the house she will try to destroy our bedroom door and yell and yell at us. We still give the cat chances to sleep with the rest of the herd and sometimes she does okay, but most of the time is annoying like that and no one gets any sleep.
I wish she could sleep with me, I really do, and I hate it that she can't but we need our sleep (and sanity)