Still sucking..... The cat, not me :)

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So yeah, I can't seem to figure out why this happens. But every day at least 3 times a day this cat jumps in my lap and starts sucking on his paw pad like a pacifier.

I've tried suggestions from here to stop him but to no avail. I don't really mind anyway, but isn't this strange?

I grabbed a little better video so you can see exactly what he's doing. Sorry it's grainy. The video is actually HD but I had to compress (degrade) it to fit on youtube.

EDIT: hmm. I thought we could embed youtube videos here?

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How cute. It looks like a comfort thing to me, like kneading his paws, or suckling on a blanket or sometimes an article of his person's clothing. It is not at all abnormal, I had one that would suck his tail. It may be something to keep an eye on so his little paw does not get chapped, but other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How cute. It looks like a comfort thing to me, like kneading his paws, or suckling on a blanket or sometimes an article of his person's clothing. It is not at all abnormal, I had one that would suck his tail. It may be something to keep an eye on so his little paw does not get chapped, but other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You kitty is adorable, how old is he?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hha. I forgot I still have the original video. He's WAY bigger now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

You kitty is adorable, how old is he?
He's really a sweet kitten. He was born around Feb 15th. so he's about 2.5 months old now.

He's interesting. Doesn't like to be held much, and isn't real affectionate. This is the only actual affection he ever shows.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's funny
His other paw is kneading, so that makes me think it's a comfort thing. Your kittens were weaned too young and that's pretty typical of kittens in that situation. Chloe does a similar thing, but with a blanket, not a thumb. She almost goes into a trance when she does it.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you look on YouTube, it looks like lots of other people have posted vids of kittens who suck their paws. Yeah, just check the pad and make sure it's not getting raw. Don't know what you would do to stop him from sucking in the pad IS raw, tho'. Maybe the vet has a suggestion?

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So cute. My youngest who is now a year and 4 months sucks the toes of my 3 yr old cat! Wish I could get footage of that! LOL She cleans his face while he does it. He even will stand on his back legs so he can suck her toes if she is in her sleeping chair (my computer chair).....too cute. I am amazed she lets him do it still

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awwww that's just adorable. Stanley kneads constantly. I would rather have him sucking his paw than constantly kneading my belly!