One of my rat terriers was attacked yesterday

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By one of the neighbors labradors. The dog has been coming down here causing problems for a while now. And last night my uncle let one of our older rat terriers, Bubba, outside to pee and he didn't come back in and he waited till daylight and went to find him and he wouldn't come to him. Well dad was alway's Bubba's favorite so he went and called for him and Bubba came up and he had been attacked. He has a big hole in his side my uncle could put his thumb in it. He took him to the vet but I had to go to work so I don't know what they told him. But I do know that he said if he sees that dog again he is going to shoot him. We don't want to but animal control won't come out here and we have to protect our dogs and my horses and my barn cats. And we have repeatedly told this woman to keep her dogs at home. So we are going to have to take action. I hope my Bubba is okay we have had him for almost ten years now and he is such a sweet boy.
And he's still at the vet

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. My 70 lb Golden Retriever was attacked by a much larger Akita one day while my mom was taking her for a walk. The Akita stalked my dog and then kind of pounced on her, grabbing her at the neck, obviously trying to kill her. My dog, being as passive as she is, didn't retaliate but the Akita wouldn't let go. A neighbor of the Akita came running out with an alluminum bat and had to hit the dog a few times before it would let go of Abby. Apparently, the owners of that dog let it run lose, and it has cause a few cat casualties and attacked other neighborhood dogs. We filed a report with the police, but I'm not sure anything could be done past that without going to court. :Sigh: It's had to blame the animal when it's the owners responsibility. I hope Bubba has a quick recovery and that things are sorted out with your neighbor.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Bubba, I hope he'll be OK. That is so upsetting, and frustrating to have such an irresponsible neighbour.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was your dog contained in a fence or on a chain? ...it sounds like he wasn't.

If he's wasn't, both owners are to blame for this. Hopefully Bubba heals quickly and doesn't have to pay much more for this mistake..

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Was your dog contained in a fence or on a chain? ...it sounds like he wasn't.

If he's wasn't, both owners are to blame for this. Hopefully Bubba heals quickly and doesn't have to pay much more for this mistake..
I agree it's both you and your neighbors responsibility to contain your dogs. My neighbors rat terrier came on my property and was attacked by my chow mix neither dog was contained so it was both mine and my neighbors fault we are both more careful now. You shouldn't shoot the dog it's illegal and wrong! Go talk to the neighbor and tell them to keep their dog contained. It's not the dogs fault it's the owner's (and your) fault. I'm sorry that your dog was hurt. Sending healing your way. Also was your dog attacked on your property or your neighbors? If on your neighbors go take your vet bill to the neighbor and ask for them to pay it. This worked with another neighbor who attacked one of my dogs. He payed the vet bill and I never saw the dog loose again.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

Also was your dog attacked on your property or your neighbors? If on your neighbors go take your vet bill to the neighbor and ask for them to pay it. This worked with another neighbor who attacked one of my dogs. He payed the vet bill and I never saw the dog loose again.
Why would someone be responsible for paying the vet bill if the dog attacked was the one illegally running loose and trespassing onto their property?

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Why would someone be responsible for paying the vet bill if the dog attacked was the one illegally running loose and trespassing onto their property?
Sorry I didn't clarify. The first time a neighbors dog came onto my property and my dog attacked her there were no vet bills because my dog didn't hurt her too badly. We just worked out an agreement and he keeps his dog on a leash and so do I. The other one I was talking about and didn't clarify was when I was walking my dog down the street on a leash and a lab mix ran into the street and attacked my dog. THAT time the owner payed the vet bill.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I agree it's both you and your neighbors responsibility to contain your dogs. My neighbors rat terrier came on my property and was attacked by my chow mix neither dog was contained so it was both mine and my neighbors fault we are both more careful now. You shouldn't shoot the dog it's illegal and wrong! Go talk to the neighbor and tell them to keep their dog contained. It's not the dogs fault it's the owner's (and your) fault. I'm sorry that your dog was hurt. Sending healing your way. Also was your dog attacked on your property or your neighbors? If on your neighbors go take your vet bill to the neighbor and ask for them to pay it. This worked with another neighbor who attacked one of my dogs. He payed the vet bill and I never saw the dog loose again.
I know you are angry that your dog got attacked but shooting it? That would just be insanely wrong! Its not the dogs fault. It has never been contained so it doesnt know what it is doing is wrong. The owner needs to take control over it! How would you felt if someone just shot your dog because it was out wondering?

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about Bubba. If where you live is anything like where I live, animal control won't do anything. If the other dog is coming onto your property and attacking your animals then the way the laws are around here, you have the right to protect your barn animals. If you have already told her to keep her dogs off your property then you have given her fair warning. I would just make sure to file a police report so you are covered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bubba was not on a chain because we are on our on property that is 2 miles from the nearest house and our dogs respect the property lines and here as long as your dog is on your property then they are still in the right. This dog was 2 miles from his owner. And I understand shooting the dog seems wrong but this has been an ongoing problem these dogs chase my horses and have killed my chickens and so forth and I have not been able to get animal control to come out. And I am sorry but I have a duty to protect my animals and if that means shooting this dog as bad as it sounds then I have to. Because the owner will not keep it at home. They have 2 or 3 dogs that run all over the area bothering people's animals so if the law won't do something and the owners won't and if I am afraid to go near the dog because he has already shown he will attack stuff what am I supposed to do keep letting him get after my horses and such.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you told your neighbor the dog will be shot if it comes on your place again?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The other one I was talking about and didn't clarify was when I was walking my dog down the street on a leash and a lab mix ran into the street and attacked my dog. THAT time the owner payed the vet bill.
Ok, that's definitely different. Your dog was properly leashed.

As for letting dogs run on the property... fencing protects them, not just keeps them in the yard. With no witnesses to the attack and no means to contain your dog while outside it may be hard to file a report over what is just speculation. No one knows 100% whether either dog was it's own property at the time. And if the other dog is coming onto your property with you and others witnessing it chasing other animals, report it while it's there! Say the dog is aggressive and you're afraid of it, that should get someone out.

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel that until you fence in an area for your terrier to roam, you have no right to shoot another person's pet. Besides judicial law, it's moral law. Neither the lab nor your dog know what property is, nor do they know what defines your property or your neighbors, two miles away or not. This is not the way the world was meant to work.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree you should contain your dogs with a fence. Small dogs are always at risk from larger dogs. Could you possibly go talk to the owner and tell them the dog WILL be shot next time it comes on your property so that they have a chance to contain their dog?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not defending anything here....I'm remaining impassive.

We've shot a dog on our place. Police were called/did nothing. Neighbor forewarned multiple times. Dog was always running loose.

The dog was on our property & attacking our livestock (chickens, at that point, we depended on those chickens for food on the table). Dad shot the dog & hauled the body to the neighbors. Never had an issue with their dogs since then. This was years ago.

Legally, that dog is on her property & causing damange. It is a danger. I would video-tape what the dog is doing, when being aggressive. Call the police over & over & over until something is done. You'll have to watch your dogs closely for the time being. I know it stinks....but it isn't the dog's fault. I wish dad had never shot that dog years ago....I still get sick thinking about it because I was standing there. But that dog was literally sapping away the food from our table. It's just "him", drives me nuts. He has no appreciation/understanding for animals, they're just pests to him.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'm not defending anything here....I'm remaining impassive.

We've shot a dog on our place. Police were called/did nothing. Neighbor forewarned multiple times. Dog was always running loose.

The dog was on our property & attacking our livestock (chickens, at that point, we depended on those chickens for food on the table). Dad shot the dog & hauled the body to the neighbors. Never had an issue with their dogs since then. This was years ago.

Legally, that dog is on her property & causing damange. It is a danger. I would video-tape what the dog is doing, when being aggressive. Call the police over & over & over until something is done. You'll have to watch your dogs closely for the time being. I know it stinks....but it isn't the dog's fault. I wish dad had never shot that dog years ago....I still get sick thinking about it because I was standing there. But that dog was literally sapping away the food from our table. It's just "him", drives me nuts. He has no appreciation/understanding for animals, they're just pests to him.
It is a very sad thing. When the neighbors dog attacked my dog my dad tried to shoot her once and then on several occasions tried to run her over. Since he was overreacting so badly I went and talked to them and they agreed to pay the vet bills and keep their dog put up.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've used methdos that are a little gentler but still convincing. A few years ago when a neighbor's dog was getting into our trash, mu husband contacted the dog's owner. She was not happy about her dog getting loose (her property was fenced but this dog was an escape artist) and less so about him strewing her neighbor's trash all over the place. So she said she had no problem with us pinging her dog with a BB gun. I know some may disagree with this, but sometimes taking your case to the dog will get things resolved. It did work by the way.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2dogmom

We've used methdos that are a little gentler but still convincing. A few years ago when a neighbor's dog was getting into our trash, mu husband contacted the dog's owner. She was not happy about her dog getting loose (her property was fenced but this dog was an escape artist) and less so about him strewing her neighbor's trash all over the place. So she said she had no problem with us pinging her dog with a BB gun. I know some may disagree with this, but sometimes taking your case to the dog will get things resolved. It did work by the way.
All that would have taken is a chain within the fence so the dog couldn't reach the sides of the fence and climb... Really, you would think anyone could figure out such simple solutions and if they're cheap - that one wouldn't cost but a few dollars.

The only problem with using a BB gun in that sometimes the BBs will get lodge under the skin. I took in a stray cat as a child that had two in him, one under the skin on the back of his ear and another in his shoulder.

And I agree with Jillie, dogs don't know and anything can distract them into running off the property.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Bubba! Animal control is usually really good about comming out. Call them again, and if they don't come out then call the police. Show them pictures of your dog and tell them what happened.