Need Help with a Stray Cat

cat treats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Fellow Cat Caretakers,

I need your advice. I have been feeding a stray neutered male flame point Siamese cat at a feeding station at my vacant house in New Orleans since November 2006. He is a survivor of Hurricane Katrina and is always at my house or my neighborâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s when I return to my house. This cat appears to have had a relationship with people in the past, but he will not let me touch him although he does allow me to come within a couple of feet. I have not been able to find his owner and I would like to take this cat home with me to my current home in another city. This cat, who I call Sugar, will not enter a box trap though I have tried to trap him this way many times. I have built a drop trap which I put on my deck a week ago to let him get used to it. So far he has shown no interest in going in it though I left tuna fish in it. If Sugar cannot be trapped with the box trap either I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know what I am going to do. Other information that may be relevant is that I believe Sugar was probably an indoor/outdoor cat before the storm, and he has bonded with a spayed feral female cat born since the storm. Although I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t live in New Orleans anymore, I do visit there once or twice a week to feed the cats. Does anyone have any suggestions for working with a skittish stray cat to overcome its distrust of people? We seem to have reached a plateau in our relationship and I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know how to move forward from here. I would love to be able to pet him and win him over so that I can eventually pick him up and take him home.

Cat Treats

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't use a box trap. First, he's wise to you. Second, it is hard to get the animal out should he get trapped in there. See if any of the local shelters or animal control has a hav-a-hart trap (humane, spring loaded door, etc.) Bait it with something irresistable... you know, like tuna or some here who do feral TNR have used Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Once you have him, then you can work on reaclimating him to humans.

Good luck!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Treats

I believe Sugar was probably an indoor/outdoor cat before the storm, and he has bonded with a spayed feral female cat born since the storm.
It would be nice if you take Sugar's friend too.

Originally Posted by Cat Treats

Although I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t live in New Orleans anymore, I do visit there once or twice a week to feed the cats...I have built a drop trap which I put on my deck a week ago to let him get used to it.
If you set up any sort of cat trap, you will have to check everyday. Is your neighbor there to help you?
I was told that drop traps are okay but need more supervision like AddieBee sited. I use this type

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat treats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I do intend to take Sugar's friend. She is easy to trap, walks right in the box trap. The drop trap will only be set when I can be there overnight, about once a week.