I dont know whats wrong with my cat!

kereneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5 year old cat. Her name is klarisse. She used to be a very fat cat up until October-ish last year when she started losing weight like crazy.She is super skinny now and i can feel her spine when i pet her. She also seems to be acting funny. She used to be a cuddly playful cat, but now she just sleeps and stares off into space. Her fur isnt soft like it used to be and she's has periods where she'll eat one day and then she'll only pick at the food the next or not eat at all. She also seems to limp walk, or when she walks she leans a bit. She doesnt seem to want to sit, but more curl up on all fours with her back hunched. She also doesnt like lay sprawled out and sleeps in that curled up position. My stepdad doesnt have the money to take her into a vet and we havent been able to find anything useful on the internet.

Please help

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might die without a Vet. My Cats woth Crf did that. My Yoshi went from 14 Pounds to 5.2 the day he was Pts. Your cat seems to be very Sick.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When cat's hunch over like that, it often means they are in pain or discomfort. If she's not eating and her coat is poor, I can pretty much tell you for certain that she is ill.

We could make guesses about what was wrong with her here, but even if we were right (which is unlikly since the symptoms you gave us are pretty basic signs of most illnesses), you would have to go to the vet to get treatment.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Goodness, it sounds as though she is slowly dying which would be terribly painful. Please take her to a vet. At this point he may recommend euthanization but if she started losing the weight back in October, I'd guess that her liver has probably shut down by now or at least not working very well. She honestly really, really, really needs to be taken to a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kereneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for your help guys.. It was her liver.. We didnt get her to a vet. but my friends sister who is a nurse came over.. She's even worse now a week later. Its to painful to walk for her and she doesnt wanna do anything but lay there. Were just gonna let her die peacefully and hope she has a good afterlife. I dont think they was anything we could of done for her..

No she hasnt passed on.. but she's holding on for dear life. Im sure she'll go soon though. =[

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kereneko

thanks for your help guys.. It was her liver.. We didnt get her to a vet. but my friends sister who is a nurse came over.. She's even worse now a week later. Its to painful to walk for her and she doesnt wanna do anything but lay there. Were just gonna let her die peacefully and hope she has a good afterlife. I dont think they was anything we could of done for her..

No she hasnt passed on.. but she's holding on for dear life. Im sure she'll go soon though. =[
So you are just going to let her die a slow painful death? At least have her put down peacefully at the vets. Don't let the poor thing suffer like that! This is awful.

kereneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well there isnt much -I- really could do.. Im only 14 and dont even live with my stepdad which currently has the cat..

plar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The symptom sounds very serious, but if your family can't afford the vet, you should always put food on the table for the family before taking care of the cat. But I think it won't cost too much to put her down. If you take her to a shelter, they might just put her down for you.

dlestarjette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

So you are just going to let her die a slow painful death? At least have her put down peacefully at the vets. Don't let the poor thing suffer like that! This is awful.
I understand that sometimes finances get in the way of medical care, both for ourselves and our pets. Unfortunately, that is the sad reality of things sometimes. It's not fair.

However, I agree that letting the cat suffer until some indeterminate time that she does pass away on her own is, quite frankly, morally reprehensible, regardless of questions of money.

Please read the links that others have posted regarding what to do when you cannot afford veterinary care. Call shelters in the area and ask about free or low-cost clinics they might operate or know about. Call vets, explain the situation, and ask about financial aid or other arrangements, such as working after school or on the weekends (I assume you're still in school, based on your comments) in exchange for care for your cat.

If none of these pan out, then do this as soon as possible: call the vets and shelters back, and find out which ones are willing to euthanize her for no cost. Then take her to the closest one, and pet her little precious head while she passes peacefully away.

If I had the money, I'd be more than happy to send it to you to get treatment, but we're going through some health problems with one of our own cats at the moment, so that's not possible. Please do the right thing, regardless of how difficult it is.

dlestarjette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

well there isnt much -I- really could do.. Im only 14 and dont even live with my stepdad which currently has the cat..
I thought there was more to this situation. Is there another relative you could talk to--a grandparent, for example, or an uncle or aunt who might be sympathetic to what's going on and who might can help you out?

kereneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No there isnt anyone i dont think we could talk too..

dlestarjette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

No there isnt anyone i dont think we could talk too..
Then I'm sorry, truly. I seriously think you need to call the shelters and vets around where your stepdad lives, and find one that will help your kitty pass away as quickly and as painlessly as possible.

This is a lot for a fourteen year-old kid like you to have to take on, and frankly your stepdad or another adult should be calling around to these places, not you. This is just a rotten situation all around.

So, you're going to have to do it. It sounds like that's the best way you can help that cat. Like I said before, it's not fair, but I have confidence that you can do this.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a question - if you're only 14, how come i was able to send you a PM?
[i'm basically a skeptical person, what can i say?]

kereneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
>> cause i think you had to be thirteen or older to join or something..

kereneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My poor baby has passed on at about 10:30 last night. I know a lot of you seem mad that we didnt take her in. But we did what we could. We loved and cared for her up to her last breath.. and though some may think it was cruel to let her die on her own, we think she was very happy with us just being there by her side. She had a small smile on her face as she passed away. I know she will be loved and cared for by my mom up in heaven. I bet she was missing her kitty.

I guess thanks for the err... support. and sorry to those i made angry with our decision.

dlestarjette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss, but she's in a better place now--and your mom is already taking good care of her up there! You both are in my thoughts tonight.