The Hobbit's director is....

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

The fact that it's not Peter Jackson bodes well for The Hobbit.
He's moving to NZ and working with Peter Jackson for the two movies.
I'm very glad Jackson is still involved because for a time he wasn't going to have anything to do with The Hobbit. Given how great LOR was, that would've been real shame.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Guillermo del Toro is a very good director - I can't wait to see his take on the Hobbit.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pan's Labyrinth scared me when I saw it. The monster with the eyes in its hands... *shudders*
It was beautifully realised though, and all the more atmospheric for being so realistic despite the monsters. Bodes well for the hobbit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I looked him up in google. Never saw anything he's ever produced or directed.
Trust me, rent Pan's Labyrinth. It's a beautiful film, and it's worth your time.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hooray! I think that will be a fabulous collaboration!

Edit: And it seems Pan's Labyrinth is available on instant viewing with Netflix - hurrah!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Trust me, rent Pan's Labyrinth. It's a beautiful film, and it's worth your time.
I watched it yesterday. I didn't like it. It's too "Brothers' Grim-ish" for me. I probably would have liked it if they hadn't done all that other world fantasy stuff and just based it on the other portion of the "here and now." Plus it was in Spanish with English subtitles! I don't care much for movies like that because I find it difficult and distracting to watch something, hear them speaking in a language that I don't understand while trying to read the subtitles. It requires way too much concentration and I don't have that kind of attention span these days.

I'd rather watch a good drama.

I don't really care for fantasy style movies / novels, but for some reason there was something about LoTR the LoTR movies that appealed to me.

I just hope that this director doesn't butcher The Hobbit and that he makes it in English!