Animal Shelter....

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So im gonna be Volunteering at the Animal Shelter near my house!! Ive been planning on it for a long time but havnt been able to get there to sign up for it... until today!!!
They are like soooo over crowded!
in the outside pens theres about 4-6 Dogs in each Pen... and there all large dogs! They have 2 smaller dogs, about 4 medium size dogs and the rest are Large sized.
My mom offered to Foster a couple.. as we have a whole ((heated/cooled)) Garage/Yard to spare... but they dont do those types of things.
Well I start tomorrow
and hopefully sometime this week I can get pics!

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good for you! One of the most fulfilling jobs I've ever had was working in the cattery of an animal shelter. You will love it!

I'm located in South West, NY but haven't been able to come across any animal shelters since I've been here. What town is this in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its in Mercer County ((hr and a half North of Pittsburgh))... but it has more Dogs than Cats.. they just got in a litter of Kittens though! and they have a couple cats running around the Office/Kennels.
Its a cool place!

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still two hours away from me :-(

Well, I hope you enjoy it!

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww that sux

------------

Well I had sooo much fun today!! I may not be working for money but its so worth it!!! I cleaned out Kennels
and I socialized the dogs while showing them to potential adopters.
Sadly no one got adopted today but I think a lady is coming back for either a 6yr old Beagle or the 2yr old Terrier Mix who shares the cage with the Beagle.
A litter of "Feral" kittens were dropped off (supposedly they were found under a shed))... covered in ticks! so I helped with de-ticking them and bathing them, sad thing is... I dont think they're Feral, they were to friendly and cuddly to be born wild... and my Boss agrees.
I worked for 5 1/2 hrs today ((there only open for 6-7 hrs)) and I plan on working for that amount of time regularly, every Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat.
Im sick of sitting home all day doing nothing and the Shelter can use my help during the week ((the other Volunteers are in School during the week)).. also this way I have something to do while im getting my GED.
Maybe by Fri or Sat I can get pics of some of the dogs/cats... im still learning right now

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Day 2 of my Shelter Adventures

So I got to interact with the dogs a lil more... I actually got in the Cages with a couple of them. I think ive fallin in love with a lil female brown and white Short Haired Pointer ((im not sure if shes mixed.. it doesnt look like it)).... shes been at this Shelter for about 3yrs, I think
When my mom decides to adopt
im gonna have her adopt that one!
I also got to interact with the cats more... HAHA! if it wasnt for the lil black and white cat I would have gotten a spider in my hair!! ... he was pawing at my shoulder and when I went to look at him there was a spider hanging on a web right above my head! the cat was trying to ketch it!! good kitty!

So the Inspector dude came in today... omg! i was the ONLY one cleaning ((there were no other volunteers and the lady there was ordering pet meds)) and I bet if I hadnt drank that RedBull this morning we would have failed the inspection at first sight!!
When I got to the Shelter this morning, something told me to be quick and thorough at cleaning... I guess my feelings were right!! The only thing that I didnt like was the Inspector dude had me go out and count all the dogs with a clicky thing... lets just say he counted wrong and tried to blame me
till my boss went out and counted the dogs, there are 42 dogs at this shelter... he counted 44.
Well I think thats all for today... I go back late Wed. morning!!

P.S.
I actually really like this job!!!
pay or no pay... ill do it anyway!!

EDIT:
Oh and they have this one cat there that sits in the the Kitchen area ((the Shelter Owners cat))... this cat is soooo pretty!!! I mean its like a Yellow Point Siamese looking cat with Blue Eyes and long silky fur!!! I guess shes the daughter of a Siamese that is also there ((not for adoption))... I guess shes orange and white.. but I think she looks Yellow! and I mean bright Yellow!!
Ive never seen anything like it.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thats awsome that you are volunteering! I signed up the day after my 16th birthday (age limit) i had wanted to do it for years. My fisrt day i got attacked by a dog

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by save_adopt

thats awsome that you are volunteering! I signed up the day after my 16th birthday (age limit) i had wanted to do it for years. My fisrt day i got attacked by a dog
Haha.. what are the odds. aww.. was it bad?
I have been attacked by Hitler, one of the cats in the cat room, several times. Thank goodness I was wearing my Boots!
... and ive been nipped at, on the hand, by one of the Jack Russel's known for biting.. but it wasnt bad enough to complain.
I guess ive accepted that the occasional bite comes with the job

EDIT:
Oh and I forgot about one of the other cats... he's in a cage cause he hasnt been fixed yet and when I went to clean his cage, he bit me a couple times. Not cause hes mean but because he wants attention.. and it wasnt no lil playful nip.. it was a full on bite! lol.. I was warned about him though.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Day 3:

So a dog got adopted today
!!! I cant really tell you what breed it was
... but it was a golden brown color with short hair and it was med size.
The people stayed at the shelter for a half hour debating on Miller ((a cattle dog mix)) or Lonnie ((the golden brown one)) and they chose Lonnie!!! I really wanted them to take Miller as he's been there longer but they didnt.
Also we got another stray cat in... it was a fluffy looking Siamese thing ((i didnt really get a good look at it)) and it was found on someones porch with gooey eyes and stuff.
Im gonna se about bringing my Camera in to get pics on Sat... if not then, then next Wednesday.
I guess a dog got claimed yesterday but im not sure which one.
Also I handled one of the more skidish, none-friendly dogs and he was sooo cute! I mean he's like a Beagle-Boxer-Pointer mix or somethin and he was so funny... hes shy around men and people with crated and bags... poor guys a mess as far as trusting and stuff.
Well that was my day today... hehe I love working there!

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2dogmom

That's so great what you're doing. Good for you! And I enjoy reading the day by day of what it is like. Keep those posts coming!

Oh really.. wasnt sure if I was annoying you guys with the day by day thing
... hehe.. Ill keep the post coming then!!! lol I just learn something new everyday and its really fun!!!

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

That's great. Because if you enjoy it that means you'll do it well too.
TOTALLY!!!
I always make sure I clean/feed/walk the dogs and cats perfectly... even if im not getting paid... I still make sure its perfect!!!

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
D*mn it!! my work schedule has been all messed up cuz my brother is moving back... we have to drive down to the Train Station to pick him up tonight ((2am)) so idk if ill be able to work tomorrow.... I ended up working yesterday because I wasnt ((now im not still)) supposed to work today.. but I found out after work yesterday that I could have worked today, we were supposed to pick my brother up yesterday but he missed his Train... so I wont be able to take pics Saturday ((if I dont end up going))... if I dont work Sat than I promise ill get pics on Wed.

Umm.. so my boss complimented me on how I clean the Kennels
... she said I clean the quickest and also better than most the Volunteers!!
I like to Be quick about cleaning but I also want to make sure its clean... so I still take my time!
Heres a good example... on the days when nobody is in to help me clean, and im cleaning myself.... I get it ALL (cat room, kennels, feeding, watering etc.) done by 11:00-11:30 ((I start at 9:30)). But when the other Volunteers are in and were all cleaning, it takes all of us till about 2:00 to clean it all... I guess I just do better on my own

So yea... lol if I could work everyday I would... but its to far for me to take my bike and my mom doesnt have the Gas to drive me everyday... my moms amazed I love my job

When I was about 2-3yrs old my mom worked at a shelter and I would go to work with her and either sit in my play room with my kitten or id help her with certain dogs... I think its still in my blood! lol and before I started working and told my mom I wanted to... she kept saying how crappy the job was for not getting paid and how ill have to pick up crap and it smells so bad and I have to watch out for the mean dogs and its horrible...
BS!!! although I do have to pick up crap.. thats not the worst part of my job ((the dog hair in the drains and rinsing down the urine are the worst parts))... and it doesnt smell as bad as I thought it would and the only mean dog im worried about doesnt seem to mind me ((she even licks my hand occasionally)) and I have to work right next to her cage 70% of the time... so this job is not what my mom put it out to be.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
awww if you can try and turn the "mean" dog friendly etc
then she may stand a chance at a new home

cant wait for pics

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pixietina

awww if you can try and turn the "mean" dog friendly etc
then she may stand a chance at a new home

Well I visit her first whenever I go in that part of the Kennels and she licks my hand and stuff. She has issues with some people and other people shes fine with... you just gotta understand her.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey vixen, nice update! Maybe it IS in your blood! I envy you a little - I didn't get to do much with critters until I was middle aged.
But like you I love it - I love my critters so much I don't mind dealing with the poop and the puke.
Maybe you're a "critter whisperer!"

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hey vixen, nice update! Maybe it IS in your blood! I envy you a little - I didn't get to do much with critters until I was middle aged.
But like you I love it - I love my critters so much I don't mind dealing with the poop and the puke.
Maybe you're a "critter whisperer!"
Haha... Critter Whisperer! lol maybe

Well im the only one in my family who has a true love for animals.. my mom says she was the same way when she was my age but I doubt it as she never understands me when it comes to my pets or other pets.
I live for animals... all my brothers and sisters ((8 all together)) were into drugs, sports, cars, etc.. but not animals... only I was really into animals. Well my brother has his cat, and my sister had her hamster way back when... but none were into animals as much as I am.

Oh and thats another thing... I remind my mom every so often that if it wasnt for my pets id be into drugs, running away, skipping school etc. cuz id be bored.. animals are my hobby.. my life.. they keep my busy!

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yay!! Im finally able to get pics!!!
I didnt go in on Sat. cause I felt sick but I did go in today and I asked my "Week-Day Boss" ((I have 3 Boss's: 1 Week-day and 2 weekend)) if I could bring my Camera in Wed. to get pics and she said yes!! So either Wed. afternoon or Thursday ill post the pics on the Pic Forum!!

So I came in today... went in the "Police Run" (its the quarantine kennels/room) and there was a dog in one of the Kennels that id never seen before and it wasnt moving and it didnt respond when I said "Hey There, Puppy".... I got a lil worried so I went up to it and kinda pet his head through the fence and he jumped right up... *sigh of relief*

His eyes are so Blue that he has like very light gray Pupils... so he's obviously blind. I talked to my Boss and she would tell me anything except that hes Blind and Deaf ((not really old though... maybe 5-8yrs)) and that if hes not claimed they might have to put him down... because no one will adopt a Blind and Deaf dog.

Hes a Healer (mix?) that has medium fur, a brown spot on his left ear and another brown spot on his rear, and stands about 21'' (give or take).
Well when my mom picked me up today I mentioned him to her and my mom was interested... I mean if there gonna put a perfectly good dog down because hes got some kinks and some people suck... why not adopt him. So Wed. I gotta talk to my Boss about him... they charge $140 for the adoption, but thats for everything including Neuter/Spay, Heart Worm, Chipped, Wormed, and Health problems fixed... well if my mom waits for all that to happen she wont have the money... so if she can pay a small adoption fee and guaranty to take the dog to the vet to have his eyes and ears checked, Neuter ((if hes not already.. i couldnt tell through his hair)) and dewormed now than we can adopt him right away and have the vet check him out when she comes to check Jack out ((while my mom has the money to do it)). Ill update you on that.

Also a dog, Daisia (no not Daisie), got adopted today.. I barely started working when a guy came up to me and was like "where's the boxer with the black eye patch"...
im gonna miss her... Adoptions give you a happy feeling inside, and a sad feeling.

Umm thats about it for today.