Mouse-o-rama

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My wirehair cats have really begun taking mousing seriously. It's spring in Texas and everything is blooming and growing and moving. I'm rural and do organic gardening so have a big composter. The mice like to nest in there in the winter and now the young ones are moving out on their own and it's getting too warm in there in general and heavy rains are also driving them out--and right into my cats' waiting jaws/paws.

It's not enough that they catch them---they have to bring them into the house....very much alive! In the last 36 hours there have been 5 mice brought in, including one in the kitchen at 6:30 am and one in my upstairs bathroom at 11 pm. I just got one out of my bedroom. I have "mouse catching" boxes in every room so I can scoop them up quickly and put them out front (my backyard is catfenced and they have a pet flap so they come/go at will.) My former feral cat also mouses, but he does the "whole job" outside and either eats the mice or lets the dog eat them--also a big yuck.

Dh and I really need to rethink our compost set up, since that's where they originate. I keep thinking of what might happen if we leave town for a few days. Will the house be filled with mice????

Anyone else dealing with vermin loving cats right now?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pee-cleaner

My former feral cat also mouses, but he does the "whole job" outside and eats the mice...
Anyone else dealing with vermin loving cats right now?
My cats are like your former feral - thorough. Joji however, once caught one and dumped it in the toilet bowl, watched it swimming (or drowning) until I got it and released it outside.