KatKwiz! - April 25 - Foul or fowl mouthed?*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KatKwery: Nobody used the word below yesterday, which was the secret word. Other words that Alley had to pick from were eye, farm, Hollywood, and blame.

Certain four letter words (and others) may be censored. If your posts contain any censored words, they will be blanked-out like this:

Censoring for The Cat Lounge is done by ___________________.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I'm guessing the site has a reference list of words we can't use. The censor smiley automatically blocks them in a post. If it doesn't get automatically censored then a Mod would have to do it.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Certain four letter words (and others) may be censored. If your posts contain any censored words, they will be blanked-out like this:

Censoring for The Cat Lounge is done by ___________________.
Auto-censoring and manually edited by the mod squad staff/forum admins, which in The Cat Lounge are:
katl8e, valanhb, clixpix, Chester&Piper

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I just typed up some naughty words and previewed my post...surprisingly only one was considered naughty!

My guess would have to be that TCS has built in profanity detecting software. Anything else not caught by the software is taken care of by the moderators.

tinkrbl5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Board of TCS investigates and tries to implement "censorship" to keep site educational. Anne TCS Head"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

... by a computer simply searching and replacing words.
Click on FAQ above and go all the way to the bottom and you will find this word-for-word. The Cat Lounge is like any other forum.

Congratulations!
FIRST TIME WINNER!

KatKwery: (1400 points)

Standings so far:

whiteforest 3500
marianjela 2100
luvmycat1 2100
monaxlisa 2100
silvionc 1400
MuleNag 700
Kluchetta 700
laureen227 700
glitch 700

Do you think members are censored too much? Too little? Would you rather have a moderator handle each case rather than a computer? Should certain members have "liberties"? How does this site compare to others you have been on with regard to censorship?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not think the site is unduly censored nor too little, I dont think we can be too careful. I have read a thread where some words were being removed and the word was actually not bad when used in context - the word was "freaking" - but I also dont think the word was absolutely necessary, although I'm not offended by it either sense. Obviously, though, it has since been modified/rectified.

I am not a prude, but I love that I can come here and not read vulgar language or improper profanity, and that I can feel safe that my daughters arent going to see something inappropriate. I like the family atmosphere. I also think the automated censorship is best, as it is the fastest method available to moderate, but I feel comfortable knowing the moderators are there to screen what the computer misses, just in case. Especially so for touchy, abusive or out-of-hand subjects and situations. The mods have a tough job watching all those threads. I imagine they have to be very diligent. Thank you for your vigilance!

I cant imagine a situation where I think some members should have special liberties or verbal rights over others, so I guess I'll have to answer "no" to that one. I realize some probably dont need the surveillance, but what does it hurt?

I have seen other sites with auto-censorship, however they just remove, blank, black-out or replace the word with ***. I like the little smilies that are used on this site. I sometimes place the censor smiley on purpose - specifically to express or vent a feeling

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I dont think the site is overly censored, either. It is, however, the only forum that I know of which I am a member of that DOES have censorship. But that doesnt bother me. We dont necessarily need those words flying around all the time, and it's nice to have a "break" from seeing them used as every other word in a paragraph!! Some forums I am on are ridiculous!

I dont think certain members should have "liberties" ... having everyone "equal" is much nicer. And I love the little
smiles
I've used them in place of specific, censored words before.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, TCS isn't overly sensored. No way should the Mods handle all of it because a really bad curse word could be floating around for awhile before they were aware of it. Plus they already have enough to do around here. I don't think certain people should have liberties either. The same rules should apply to everyone. I really don't go on to anyother forums so I have no opinion on how TCS compares.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think members are censored too much? Too little? Would you rather have a moderator handle each case rather than a computer? Should certain members have "liberties"? How does this site compare to others you have been on with regard to censorship?

No I dont think members are censored too much, in fact I dont think Ive seen the censor smiley more than a few times. I dont think they are censored to little either, there are other ways of expressing yourself instead of using words that might offend someone. If I was a mod I wouldnt want to be surfing posts all day looking for inappropriate words. As for certain members having liberties, everyone should be treated equally, the meaning of the word is the same no matter who uses it!
I think this site has the most obvious form of censoring, another forum I am on simply wont let your post go through if you use a word it doesnt like. This isnt forum specific but built into the hosting software, so I expect its fairly common but just not noticed a lot.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you think members are censored too much?
I never knew we where censored i have seen the smiley and assumed people put it in themselves!
although saying that the partner has just said he thinks its this forum that blancked out s

Too little?
like before i never new they did but everyone on TCS is normally well behaved!
Would you rather have a moderator handle each case rather than a computer?
i dont see why they should?
if they can control what the computer says then why make themselves another job?
Should certain members have "liberties"?
i know those that are under 18 cant PM which i think is silly, i understand they may cause more trouble...
so if theyre proved well behaved maybe the liberty to PM be allowed?

How does this site compare to others you have been on with regard to censorship?
all in all this site is really well put together and a bloomin fabulous place too be. the sense of community is awsome too!
The Mods doo a fabulous job too keep it that way

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pixietina

i know those that are under 18 cant PM which i think is silly, i understand they may cause more trouble...
so if theyre proved well behaved maybe the liberty to PM be allowed?
Pixie, I dont think the under-18-no-PM rule is in effect so much to prevent under-18ers from causing trouble, as it is there to protect minors.

I think someone said that if you add a person (or was it cat?) as a friend/buddy then the PM would be allowed through.

I'm not sure on this since I havent done it personally, but I believe I read that somewhere.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pixietina

but is 18 too steep an age!
P.S im not negative feedbacking the forum!!
Yeah but they dont want creepy bad people stalking minors. Its probably some sort of liability that if a minor was assaulted by someone met online the forum company could be sued for negligence or something like that.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Yeah but they dont want creepy bad people stalking minors. Its probably some sort of liability that if a minor was assaulted by someone met online the forum company could be sued for negligence or something like that.
true!
i spose i see it a little different, because i moved out of my parents young and now ive with my partner etc.....
i grew up alot qiuker and act 20 odd instead of 17

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
what helps the mods keep on top of things is the ability we have to report inappropriate posts. i've reported a few in my time.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
And here I was wondering why a thread about "autocensoring" from last year had been bumped up in the Forum FAQs!

With all the posts here, spread over most time zones, and roughly a dozen mods/administrators, I think it would be impossible for mods to personally handle each case. We do need to eat, sleep, have a family life, attend to our pets, and earn a living! It's a great help when members report "questionable/inappropriate posts".

Some of the words censored are perfectly acceptable in one society/culture, but have a completely different meaning/connotation in others.

The rules about no PMs or IM info for minors are in place to protect them from Internet predators. Ditto the ban on links to sites like MySpace or Facebook, where people often provide TMI. Unfortunately, such protections are necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

This first question is one that I think depends whether you spend a lot of time in the IMO forum. I stay out of that forum so see extremely low amount of censoring. Yes, I would have a real person do the censoring instead of a computer for the same reason I hate talking to a computer on the phone instead of a real person. Nobody should have any liberties that others do not have. Not at all. Before I found this site, I was on the AOL cat site and there was absolutely no moderators at all, and that was very apparent. Somebody there pointed me to this site and I have been here ever since. There are times I like to add a little color (emphasis) to what I am posting and that has been OK. The only thing I have had pulled this year is when I put my phone number in my post. For some reason I thought I was sending a pm.