What possessed him to poop in the sink!!

helen863

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was 30 mins late for work this morning coz i had to spend my morning disinfecting the sink and chasing a mad hyper kitten around with a flannel trying to get the left overs of his tail and back legs. I had to leave some there too! It was just impossible to catch him. it was on my pillow... i think he might have even managed to get some on my boyfriend whilst he was sleeping! God knows where else! I hope my housemates dont kill me!

WHY DID HE CR*P IN THE SINK!?

he is usually so good, uses his litter tray like an angel. He is only 4 months old.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe he has an upset stomach or he may be getting sick. Don't rule out worms either. What was the texture of his feces?

joyzerelly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww.... I can't help you as to the reason, unless his litter tray was dirty so he found a knew pooing place. But our cat, Lily has used our bath as an emergency litter tray ever since she watched water trickling from the tap straight down the plug hole. She's a clever lass our Lil' and she worked out all on her own that her pee would go down too, so she squats, neatly over the plug hole. Unfortunately, she hasn't worked out that poo doesn't go down as easily, and occasionally you'll go into the bathroom and fine a crap nestled neatly over the plughole. We're very proud of her.

As for your pillow, GUTTED! I'd give it a thorough wash and make him sleep in a washable room till he's better. Haha, poor boyfriend...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helen863

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i wish he had squatted neatly... it was smeared all around the entire sink up to the edges.

We found him in there yesterday actually, he was playing with the dripping water and rolling around all over the place. Might somehow, the water have made him want to go? How do we make sure he never does it again.

joyzerelly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only way I can think of is to religiously keep the bathroom door closed.... or maybe put a litter tray within view of the sink so he'll go there instead. Good luck

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosie_863

I was 30 mins late for work this morning coz i had to spend my morning disinfecting the sink and chasing a mad hyper kitten around with a flannel trying to get the left overs of his tail and back legs. I had to leave some there too! It was just impossible to catch him. it was on my pillow... i think he might have even managed to get some on my boyfriend whilst he was sleeping! God knows where else! I hope my housemates dont kill me!

WHY DID HE CR*P IN THE SINK!?

he is usually so good, uses his litter tray like an angel. He is only 4 months old.
It's usually bathtubs. I also had a four month old kitten living with me for a while and she much preferred the bathtub. Which sink are you talking about anyway? Not the kitchen sink?

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At least it was the sink. Pan sometimes hits the bathtub. Better something easy to wipe up, rather than the carpet or the laundry bin or the shoe rack. (Been there, done that for all of those.) Maybe he ate something he shouldn't have?

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I have heard all about this! My husband's family cat, Spike, used to go in the shower. He was an indoor/outdoor cat, and if the weather was particularly bad or it was raining (and this was in Leicester, so that was often) he would not want to go out and he run straight to the shower basin. My father-in-law didn't mind - he said at least he was going somewhere that he could clean out easily enough.

My friend's cats started pooing in the sink - much to her annoyance. She couldn't figure out why - they just decided to do it. She took them to the vet - no problems, nothing. She got another litter box and that solved it.

Our girl kitten, Conor, has taken to peeing in the fireplace grate. She hops straight in and just squats down - even after I have cleaned and scrubbed out the litter box! There is some coal and peat in there left over from the last fire we had in there, so I think she just kind of sees it as another place she could bury her business. Luckily, she only pees in there (thank god). My husband cleaned out the old coal and I am going to scrub it down with enzymatic cleaner to avoid her going again!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chynna and Abby have pooped in the tub on occasion. Usually it's because of one of the following:

Dirty box (either needs scooping or cleaning)
Not enough litter in the box
Box too close to the wall and tub and they feel crowded with only 2 free sides.

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine is doing it also. I asked the vet about it and she said to bring a urine sample in its usually an infection. Sure enough, her urine showed an infection. She started clavamox yesterday so I see how it works. I am thankful its in the sink and not on the carpet. She did this when she was a kitten. Everytime I left her alone I'd come home to poop on the toilet seat or in the sink. I learned that if you put a small paper plate with a thin layer of soft food on it they will stop. I don't think a cat will poop on their own food. However you risk them finding a new place to poop which may not be as easy to clean up.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by joyzerelly

The only way I can think of is to religiously keep the bathroom door closed....
i keep mine closed - not because of this problem, but mainly because Java will 'tightrope walk' on the towel bar & knock my towels onto the floor...

if the stool was loose [sounds like it was, from your description], check w/the vet - your kitty may need some meds.