Stinky!!! And weird eating habits

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For Luna and Shermie, let me say 1st of all...it's impossible to feed them different foods. Currently they are on Natural Balance Wet (the non-fish varieties) and Shermie gets Blue Spa dry (on top of fridge where Luna doesn't go). Luna gets 1/2 can in the morning and at nite. Shermie gets a little less than that (b/c he doesn't eat a whole can and Luna just ends up eating whatever's left). Here are the weird behaviors:

1). I first fed them Natural Balance but then they both decided that they didn't like that.
2). Then I was feeding them Merrick, but Shermie decided that he didn't like the fish kind. (Luna likes them all)
3). Then I noticed that Luna was getting a lot of dandruff and someone suggested that she may be allergic to something. And Merrick has a lot of variety of stuff in it.
4). So I switched them back onto Nat. Bal which has a Limited Ing. Diet. - the venison and duck ones.
5). Shermie soon decided that he didn't like those. So I started feeding him the other varieties (non-fish) but Luna decided that she liked those better than the L.I.D. ones about the same time that Shermie decided that he liked dry food better overall.
6). Luna was eating all Shermie's kinds of food and not hers so I scrapped the L.I.D. diet (I think the dandruff has gotten better but I can't be sure why).
7). Now Sherms only eats the Turkey and Chicken foods and Luna eats all the non fish ones (fish was one thing that was easy to eliminate from her diet to see if it may have been an allergy). And SHermie is also eating dry food which he really likes.

Is this weird? Have others had this stuff happen w/ their kitties?

So, here's the "Stinky" part: They both (but ESPECIALLY Luna) have quite stinky poos. I thought this could be from changing their food, but it's been over a month on the NB and her poos have gotten stinkier. But, throughout owning her I've noticed at random times how much she smells. Why?? I also noticed tonite that her poos were pretty soft. I think Shermie's gotten less-stinky and his poos are normal now (though occasionally I did see him having diarrhea, but seemed to get better the next day).

Luna is due for a vet visit soon where I plan on asking these questions. Sooner if she gets diarrhea or continues to have soft poo. ANyways, I really don't know if i'm articulating this correctly or anything and it may be really complicated but any suggestions are great!

(p.s. i know I sound kinda like a creep watching my cats crap. LOL)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sharky! Will look into that. Also..anyone know anything about fish oil? Good?/ bad?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fish oil is a common recommendation from my vet so I would dare say it should not hurt ... are you using a good brand .. Ie molecularally distilled ( I am sure that aint spelled right
)

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So does anyone else have cats that get bored of food?

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine gets bored easily...like if he eats something two days in a row that is the same, he won't eat it the third day. I rotate out his dry, too, because he gets bored of that...ugh...and to top it all off, he only eats the "slices in gravy" type food, so that cuts out all the pate style foods. He likes the wellness pouches, meow mix pouches, Merrick--the "soupier" versions, Nutro pouches....occasionally he has Friskies cans of sliced. His dry is rotated Orijen, Chicken Soup, and Wellness....he eats better than I do!

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Fish oil is a common recommendation from my vet so I would dare say it should not hurt ... are you using a good brand .. Ie molecularally distilled ( I am sure that aint spelled right
)
I'm using a brand I got at Whole Pets (the Whole Foods for pets LOL). So It should be a good brand. I gave it to them last night, but then someone puked all over my bathroom rugs. and neither one of my babes pukes often so...I guess we'll see if it happens again tonight. =P

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats, one prefers dry the other wet although the dry one will lick the gravy out of the wet. I have tried all the premium brands of wet and they don't go over well. Currently Sweetie like Fancy Feast and occasionally Friskies and never the pate. For the dry I use Purina Natural, or Purina One. Neither would eat Chicken Soup or Nutro. I buy Friskies dry because I'm feeding an outside stray kitty and its affordable. Once in a while I give Juno Friskies dry and she loves it. I know its not too good for her. They both are fussy. Juno is overweight 15 1/2 #. She's inactive and I know the dry is not good for her but its all she'll eat.
fussy kitties.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

www.nordicnaturals.com

This is recommended by several holistic vets and I even use the human version
One of them did puke the 2nd night so last night i didn't give any to them and there was no puke. (or at least not that I've found *knock on wood*).