Purraise
Thank you so much for posting this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Does that mean the FDA is finally staying on top of things? Thanks for posting that, Pat.
That is a very good question. I am hearing conflicting things - one is anecdotal about a quality issue not mentioned in the FDA posting, the other is the response from the company (posted on the evangers website and I would encourage folks to also read this), saying this is merely a paperwork issue not a true risk issue.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is the company's response on their website--I've looked but didn't see it.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably safer to stay away until it is clear what is going on. This kind of thing is so scary to us pet parents. I hope no ones furchildren have been harmed.

tipitina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I work with Evanger's and hope some of this blog's readers would be interested in the company's response to the FDA statement, which company President and Co-Owner Holly Sher released Friday afternoon. All ingredients in Evangerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s products are sourced in the United States and all manufacturing is done in its suburban Chicago facility.

If any of your readers have questions or concerns, they may send them to me and I'll make sure that Holly Sher and her husband, Evanger's co-owner Joel Sher, receive the information. Below is the statement:

Wheeling, Ill., Friday, April 25, 2008 – As a result of a routine inspection of the Evangerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Dog & Cat Food Company manufacturing facilities by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the FDA recently raised questions regarding recordkeeping and other issues at the pet food producerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s facilities.

Contrary to a news release issued by the FDA Thursday, April 24, 2008, Evangerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s continues to make and distribute its products with FDA approval. Evangerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s is working closely with the FDA and already has addressed many of the FDAâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s questions. Evangerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s expects to have the few remaining FDA queries fully satisfied shortly.

No Evangerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s product has been recalled, nor is there any indication that any Evangerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s product is under-processed, unsafe, or contaminated in any way.

“As our customers, retailers and distributors know, Evangerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s takes the quality and safety of its pet foods very seriously,†said Holly Sher, president of Evangerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s. “Evangerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s has a long history of using only human-grade ingredients in our products. The FDA has not called into question the wholesomeness of any ingredient we use. We are confident Evangerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s products continue to be safe, wholesome and natural, so confident that we continue to feed them daily to our own pets.â€

All ingredients in Evangerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s products are sourced in the United States and all manufacturing is done in its suburban Chicago facility. The routine FDA inspection was related only to Evangerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s canned foods and did not cover production of its dry pet food products.

As the United Statesâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] oldest natural pet food company, Evangerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s products are known for their human-grade ingredients, including hand-packed meats, fish and poultry, and 100% meat and organic meals.

Consumers and distributors may contact Evangerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s customer service department at (800) 288-6796 for further information. In addition, all new or updated information will be immediately posted to the companyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Website, www.evangersdogfood.com.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tipitina

My direct email is [email protected]
Thank you...I hope you read the entire thread - as I did post the link to the company website and their response, and urged folks to read it.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmmm
A little "containment"...."damage control"...?

Seems to me though that Tipitina is tipi-toeing...that is, compared to another similar "visitor" to Itchmo who is referencing a false and misleading report by the FDA.....different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Maybe I'll take advantage of the email address offer to ask why, on earth,something like this would ever be marketed for cats.

A canine and feline dinner of fresh potatoes, carrots, peas, tomatoes, avocados, blueberries, and cranberries from the market place with brown rice makes a flavorful and complete dinner. A healthy choice for pets susceptible to food allergies.
My judgement says a recipie for malnutrition.

dlestarjette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

Maybe I'll take advantage of the email address offer to ask why, on earth,something like this would ever be marketed for cats.

A canine and feline dinner of fresh potatoes, carrots, peas, tomatoes, avocados, blueberries, and cranberries from the market place with brown rice makes a flavorful and complete dinner. A healthy choice for pets susceptible to food allergies.
My judgement says a recipie for malnutrition.
I agree. Neither cats nor dogs are vegetarians and cats, especially, should not be fed a vegetarian diet. (Furthermore, "marketplace" is one word--I hate it when corporations get things like that wrong. But that's just me being grumpy.)

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dlestarjette

...Furthermore, "marketplace" is one word--I hate it when corporations get things like that wrong. But that's just me being grumpy
diestarjette - seems to me that there's a pattern of misspelling with this corporation........

I mentioned a similar "visitor" to Itchmo who was referencing a false and misleading report by the FDA.....well, if I had actually quoted that reference, I would have written "false and mis-leading".

Did I 'make your day'?

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my.........

A poster on Itchmo reports having personally been in touch with the FDA and has been told that, yes, there were paper documentation problems....but....that the problems also related to improper operation of the retorts and inadequate training of the retort operators. Additionally, Evangers cannot 'market' any of its low-acid canned pet food in interstate commerce. They are required to submit requests to the FDA in order to release specific lots.

Could these be the "other issues" referenced in the Evangers "response to the FDA"?
the FDA recently raised questions regarding recordkeeping and other issues at the pet food producerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s facilities.
Perhaps any TCS member using these products would be well-advised to contact the FDA directly.