Do deaf cats meow?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or make other noises, for that matter? How about Maddox?

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
My aunt's cat is deaf (so is my aunt) and Maple meows and purrs... her meows just sound a little strange... kinda loud and off pitch, but it's just cuz she can't hear herself lol she is quite vocal though - begs for treats and dinner... she knows a little sign language too

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard deaf cats meow extremely loud. Because they can't hear themselves. Popsie's not deaf but he meows extremely loud. I think it's because he likes to hear himself.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend had a deaf cat named "Missy". Missy didn't "meow" per se, she bleeted like a sheep!
It was so cute to hear. I guess because she couldn't hear other cats, or herself, she didn't know how to make the usualy kitty meow sounds, so she just made sounds, that came out like a sheep, hehe

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Twitch & Ophelia Rose are both deaf.

Twitch never purrs, ever. She rarely meows, and when she does you hear it.

Ophelia squalls. Like blood curdling noise, I wish I could get it on video sometime. It's an awful noise, comparble to nails on a chalkboard. And she's always got something to say.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

My friend had a deaf cat named "Missy". Missy didn't "meow" per se, she bleeted like a sheep!
It was so cute to hear. I guess because she couldn't hear other cats, or herself, she didn't know how to make the usualy kitty meow sounds, so she just made sounds, that came out like a sheep, hehe
Maybe she was related to my Molly!!
That's the sound she makes bleet!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friend has a deaf cat and we were talking about this the other night. Her Mojo has 3 sounds that he makes: a purr, a feminine meow, and a deep throaty "I'm going to kill you now" growl. He's 4 years old and just discovered the effect of his growl on his cat mates a year ago. He stumbled across it one day, saw that the other cats ran away from him when he made it, and continued to make it. They've all learned to ignore it so I'll be curious if he stumbles across another sound one day.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they can meow just like any other cat. But most times its a little louder and "off-key" then a normal cat's meow. I had a white rex, so I can tell you that she was a lot louder and off-key