Inexpensive Gift ideas! Lets hear/see yours!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I was trying to find a gift idea for my future MIL and I found some salt and pepper shakers of dogs. She has two dogs and I couldn't resisit! I painted them to match her two dogs!!!

I'm always interested in homemade gift ideas! Since I am a college student I can't be working all the time. Most often, my money for gifts for holidays come from my student loan account! If anyone has ideas for nice/thoughtfull/usefull gifts, let me know! Let all of us know!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are adorable!

I'm sure she will love and appreciate them more than an expensive sweater or something, because you put some thought into the gift and got her something that has meaning to her, and then spent more time personalizing it just for her.

IMHO those are the best types of gifts to give someone. It really is the thought that counts, not the amount of money spent.

I wish more people thought along the same lines as you do, maybe I'd still be exchanging gifts with my family if they were of like mind. But alas they are very monetary and superficial and if it doesn't have an expensive brand name on it, they don't want it.

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a really cute idea! My favorite, and tried and true, homemade gift idea is homemade cookies in a cute basket or plate. I have picked up some really cute baskets and platters at the dollar store. Fresh-baked cookies are always a hit!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Those are adorable!

I'm sure she will love and appreciate them more than an expensive sweater or something, because you put some thought into the gift and got her something that has meaning to her, and then spent more time personalizing it just for her.

IMHO those are the best types of gifts to give someone. It really is the thought that counts, not the amount of money spent.

I wish more people thought along the same lines as you do, maybe I'd still be exchanging gifts with my family if they were of like mind. But alas they are very monetary and superficial and if it doesn't have an expensive brand name on it, they don't want it.
I know what you mean! We have some family members like that
I would much rather recieve a gift that was useful than one that was expensive. I don't have the room for more "stuff". I LOVE when my granny gives me gifts because they are things like: food, toliet paper, garbage bags, etc.

Originally Posted by Eliot'sMom

That's a really cute idea! My favorite, and tried and true, homemade gift idea is homemade cookies in a cute basket or plate. I have picked up some really cute baskets and platters at the dollar store. Fresh-baked cookies are always a hit!
That's a great idea! I've never thought about making food. I hate buying material things because you never know what that person really needs.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always give pictures. I will either use one of me & DH, or with the person I am giving it to. I have had reprints of me & my sisters when we were little, framing them, and I have never had anyone complain. In fact, my sister's can't wait to open my special reminders of our childhood. I usually get the frames at a dollar store, or Ross, even garage sales. Maybe find a picture of her & your future DH and have reprint made. I love Black & White in a silver frame. Salt & Pepper shakers are really cute.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel! Broke college students unite!

I love cooking either platters of desserts or cheesecakes or something like that to give to people. Another great idea is homemade hot chocolate mixes. Those are amazingly cheap to make and you can make them look very pretty with the different layers and decorating the jars. We made some for the girls at my moms work last year and paid $10 for 5 gifts. And $5 were the jars to put it in!

Also just little gift baskets and stuff like that always works!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently took a couple of classes at the local botanical garden about making your own natural spa and natural cleaning products. The ingredients are pretty reasonable esp if you make for more than one person. Lots of "recipes" on the internet. Find some cool jars/containers and you will have some cool gifts!!