Is this ACNE?

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty is going to the vet monday to get it looked at because it just doesn`t seem to be getting better despite me being ultra clean with his bowls ( ceramic and steel ) and I`ve got rid of his plastic place mat.

I just want to check that it is acne, that`s what I told them when I rang up

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like it, but also looks bad enough to require antibiotics from the vet. My Pinky who is highly prone to it, got that bad once and he required antibiotics. Home remedies will not be enough.

Poor baby!!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like an infected case of acne, yes.

Check the ceramic very closely, the glazes on them can get hairline cracks that can harbor bacteria.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will probably get him some more stainless steel ones and keep them just for him. Poor boy, I only noticed because he scratched it and made it bleed

He is very fussy around his head unless he`s in a cuddly mood so it`s hard to get a good look at it.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree looks like acne, but it also looks like it requires anti-biotics. Jordan just finished around of Clavamox yesterday, for a case of bad acne.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, but if its not clearing up, please take him to the vet and see if there is any medication you can use to help clear it up faster.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh poor Kitty
Im glad you have the appt. on Monday.

You can also use glass. Thats what I use, but very heavy, non chipping, bakeware glass, its not porous, so it will not harbor bacteria, but you have to wash it daily.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I agree looks like acne, but it also looks like it requires anti-biotics. Jordan just finished around of Clavamox yesterday, for a case of bad acne.
Was that enough to treat it? I`m just wondering what they will prescribe and want to do to him. He`s not the best patient

Originally Posted by Pami

Oh poor Kitty
Im glad you have the appt. on Monday.

You can also use glass. Thats what I use, but very heavy, non chipping, bakeware glass, its not porous, so it will not harbor bacteria, but you have to wash it daily.
That`s a good idea! I put his wet food on top of a dvd box to help with his vomiting and they do shallow glass dishes that I could use for that in town.
The steel dishes sides are too high to have them raised up.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Was that enough to treat it? I`m just wondering what they will prescribe and want to do to him. He`s not the best patient
The clavamox appears to have worked. I say appears because I want to see if it comes back in the next couple of days. Here is a link to a thread I started with his photo. (his is near the bottom somewhere)

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163198

At the vets office they shaved & cleaned his chin. The only other thing I had to do for him was to wash his chin with dish soap (Ivory or Dawn I forget what the vet said) The vet said I need to wash their ceramic plates more often. He was a little concerned about the plastic in their water fountain, but they will not drink from standing water so he sugested, I just clean it more often.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
for the antibiotics( need to see the vet) to quickly clear it

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I will probably get him some more stainless steel ones and keep them just for him. Poor boy, I only noticed because he scratched it and made it bleed
Does that mean the others use other bowls? If so, could he be eating from their bowls as well so that changing his bowls to SS wouldn't make a big difference? I also don't recommend ceramic as the glaze gets cracked and basically is doing the same thing as the scratches on the plastic.

I also recommend (if you are not already doing so) that you thoroughly clean all the bowls after each meal and before serving the next. I bought extra SS bowls so that dirty bowls are put in the dishwasher after every meal - both dry and wet foods and clean bowls used each feeding.

I hope your kitty's chin clears up soon.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
poor kitty. i hope the antibiotics clear that up quickly. sending lots of healing for him.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty says, Thanks for the vibes guys

The clavamox appears to have worked. I say appears because I want to see if it comes back in the next couple of days. Here is a link to a thread I started with his photo. (his is near the bottom somewhere)

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163198

At the vets office they shaved & cleaned his chin. The only other thing I had to do for him was to wash his chin with dish soap (Ivory or Dawn I forget what the vet said) The vet said I need to wash their ceramic plates more often. He was a little concerned about the plastic in their water fountain, but they will not drink from standing water so he sugested, I just clean it more often.
I hope he`s all healed up. That looked so swollen! I`m suprised you had to wash his chin in dish soap. Was that to get rid of the grease?

Originally Posted by Yosemite

Does that mean the others use other bowls? If so, could he be eating from their bowls as well so that changing his bowls to SS wouldn't make a big difference? I also don't recommend ceramic as the glaze gets cracked and basically is doing the same thing as the scratches on the plastic.

I also recommend (if you are not already doing so) that you thoroughly clean all the bowls after each meal and before serving the next. I bought extra SS bowls so that dirty bowls are put in the dishwasher after every meal - both dry and wet foods and clean bowls used each feeding.

I hope your kitty's chin clears up soon.
Well, Kitty and Maisie are kept seperate mostly but they don`t have their own particular bowls if you see what I mean. I feed them, wash the bowls/plates then the next meal they may get the bowl the other had last time, so I will get some that are for Kitty exclusively.

I used to leave the same bowl down all day for his dry food but I`m washing it out 2-3 times a day now.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I hope he`s all healed up. That looked so swollen! I`m suprised you had to wash his chin in dish soap. Was that to get rid of the grease?
The swelling is gone, but he still has a scab from where it opened up. I did notice some more acne on the other side of his chin and I'm hoping that does not turn into the same thing. I think the dish soap is gentle & does get rid of grease. He didn't really say & I guess I didn't think to question the vet. (I have a little crush on him and I become an idiot around him)

I just thought of something else. Jordan is on Prednisone every day already for his hypercalcimia, but I know they sometimes use pred to treat acne.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The photo looks very much like every case of complicated feline acne that my cats have had. Every single case (and I've had several) has resolved when I changed their dry food (it has always turned out to be a food related allergy which presents itself as feline acne.) If antibiotics, washes, ointments, creams, stainless steel or ceramic bowls, etc., don't clear it up....please consider changing foods. Food change has never failed to clear it up for my cats! Good luck!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I didn't think to question the vet. (I have a little crush on him and I become an idiot around him)
I know what you mean! Our vet is a bit of a dish too

Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

The photo looks very much like every case of complicated feline acne that my cats have had. Every single case (and I've had several) has resolved when I changed their dry food (it has always turned out to be a food related allergy which presents itself as feline acne.) If antibiotics, washes, ointments, creams, stainless steel or ceramic bowls, etc., don't clear it up....please consider changing foods. Food change has never failed to clear it up for my cats! Good luck!
Ah! That`s given me an idea of what it might be then. I brought a 5kg sack of dry food for him and it`s just coming to the end now. Maybe I should stick to small bags so it`s not sitting around so long and is fresher? Do you think that`s what it could be?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the 5kg sack of food what he normally eats? My girls all got it after I had been feeding Purina One dry for a couple of months. It started about a month after I started feeding it, lasted for a couple of months while I fed it, and then cleared up a couple of weeks after I stopped feeding it. It was the only thing that had changed in their daily routine, so that is why I suspected it in the first place. Perhaps he has just developed an allergy or sensitivity to it. You might try feeding something different, and see if it helps the problem any.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was his normal dry food, it just seemed more economical to get the big sack. I know of one brand that only do small bags because they say it goes stale if you buybags that are biggerbut I thought that might be a clever marketing gimik.

So, Kitty is back on his other food but he has been poorly since around midnight
He is sleeping right now but has been vomiting and just sitting hunched in the hall. He`s not eating either. We are going to the vets tomorrow but I`m going to see if they can see us in the morning as our appointment is for the afternoon.

I also have to see if they will let Maisie go too as she is losing her apetite again and becoming subdued. It never rains but it pours