It took a few tries but we got it

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I got Popsies antibiotics and he gets half a pill a day. The half is pretty small so I stuffed it into a soft treat. Well when he ate the treat it crumbled and the pill fell out. OK, trying again I put the pill in between two treats. The same thing happened again but there was enough treat left over to stuff the pill back in a third time. Well the third time was a charm as they say because he the pill finally got eaten. What are some tricks you use to get pills into your cats.

cobbybear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Suki's easy, I just squash it into a piece of fresh chicken and she eats it no problem. My other cats a different story. I've just bought a pill gun, so I'll give that a go tomorrow, usually I pin him down and he spits it out again and again, very frustrating.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty has Seraquin which is chicken flavoured so he eats them like treats and if he gets anti-biotics he has the palatable ones so he eats them like treats too

I can`t imagine having to get him to take a non palatable one. He would be so mad!

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
See I don't understand why they don't flavour all pet pills! Make it smell like chicken and woomph, watch them gobble it up in a heartbeat.

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband used to give his old family cats the pills wrapped up in a little gob of butter. It would always work the first few times of a new course of pills, but soon they would cotton on and just lick around the pill. That was when the pill gun came out (ugh).

Our cats have - so far- been very good about taking pills. I buy them some fancy food, smother the pill in the gravy and moosh it into the fillet and give it to the cat needing the medicine (have to get the others out of the room first, of course) and they have always just eaten the pill with the food. You always see them make a little face when they get to the pill, but they still eat on.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still can't understand why liquids like Clavamox are banana or bubblegum flavored

I use soft cheese to hide pills, so if you have a cheese eater, this may be the trick for you.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
chloe had banana flavored liquid antibiotics once time and she hated it so much that she hid everytime i opened the fridge --- for 3 mos!!!

they make treats to hide pills in but you cant touch the treats with the same hand you touch the pills with and its a big ol' pain in tha arse. chloe ate the treats and spat out the pills.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried pill pockets once, Spaz just ate the treat and neatly spit out the slobbery pill.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I still can't understand why liquids like Clavamox are banana or bubblegum flavored

Originally Posted by wendyr

My husband used to give his old family cats the pills wrapped up in a little gob of butter. It would always work the first few times of a new course of pills, but soon they would cotton on and just lick around the pill. That was when the pill gun came out (ugh).
i do both - grease the pill, then use the pill popper. for Pixel, tho, i do better just using my hand... i still butter the pill, tho.
she's not a treat eater or a wet food eater, so i'm stuck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I use soft cheese to hide pills, so if you have a cheese eater, this may be the trick for you.
Ooh yeah, Popsie LOVES cheese.

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been wrapping the pill in soft cheese, and then roll in butter. The butter makes it slippery, so he can't spit it back out so easily.

I have been having problems with syringing the liquid amoxicillin. Any helpful suggestions? Alex is very large, and he is getting stronger, so he can really fight me. Can I wrap him in a towel, or is that mean?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sierra_K

I have been wrapping the pill in soft cheese, and then roll in butter. The butter makes it slippery, so he can't spit it back out so easily.
i've heard the squeeze cheese can be helpful.
Originally Posted by Sierra_K

I have been having problems with syringing the liquid amoxicillin. Any helpful suggestions? Alex is very large, and he is getting stronger, so he can really fight me. Can I wrap him in a towel, or is that mean?

for Alex getting strong enough to fight you! the cat will try to convince you that you're wicked & evil for wrapping them in a 'towel burrito' but unless you squeeze too tight, it won't hurt them in the least. i've done it to all of mine that have front claws [i can control the rear-clawed-only ones w/o the towel
]