25 days of doing the right thing!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the many aspects of my post-lap-band-surgery program that fell by the wayside was exercise. I was supposed to walk at least 20 minutes three or four times a week, but I'd done exactly nothing.

About the end of last month, I finally pulled myself sufficiently together to make an effort at walking. I dreaded it, because walking causes me major back pain. So on the first evening, I only walked about a quarter of a mile. It didn't hurt much, but I figured I'd be sore the next morning.

I wasn't, though. So the second night, I walked twice as far -- with no problems at all. I concluded that the 20 pounds I've lost so far must have been enough to almost eliminate my back problems!

I kept increasing my distance until, ten days later, I walked three miles in forty minutes -- a miracle for someone so hopeless as I had been! After that, I started carrying a bottle of water as a weight to exercise my arms while I walk.

And tonight, even though it was hot and humid, I walked for 45 minutes, and only stopped then because a thunderstorm hit!

I'm just amazed at how quickly I've gotten stronger, how much muscle I've built in my legs, and how much sleeker my lower half is now -- in just 25 days!

The key, I think, is that I'm walking every single day. They always tell you to exercise every other day, and I know that's better for you in some ways -- but somehow, an every-other-day commitment is easier to slip out of. Goodness knows I've never managed to follow through on that kind of exercise program.

But by requiring myself to take a walk once in every 24-hour period no matter what, I've been able to stay committed. So for the first time in my life, I've followed an exercise program for 25 solid days -- and now I find I actually want to walk, I like it, I'm eager to do it!

It'll be hard to maintain this during the summer, because the heat will soon be unbearable and I'll have to go someplace to walk indoors, or find other forms of exercise I can do inside the house. But I really believe that as long as I do something every single day, I can be faithful to this commitment.

Just thought I'd share my breakthrough, in case it might work for you too!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
great job!!!
keep it up.
i would still suggest some swiming also, it will cause less stress on the body,and can help to increase you stamia

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
CONGRATS!
That is really awesome!

Do you have a curves gym near you? (I didn't look at your location, haha, so I don't even know if you're in the states!) My mom joined curves, and yeah you're supposed to go 3 times a week, but I'm quite sure you can go as much as you want... I've gone with her a couple of times (not to exercise, I can barely keep weight on cuz my metabolism's so fast - not really the blessing it sounds like lol) I'd wait for her to be done so we could go somewhere together after... anyway, my point lol - her's has treadmills and elipticals which would be fine to come in and use every day... my mom really loves it there and it's very comfortable because it's all women, all who think they need to lose weight too lol (none of those "hot bodies" at the big gyms lol)... anyway, that could be a good alternative to get your daily walking in inside when it's hot out (or if you have room/money you could get a treadmill lol)... my mom has done quite well there (unfortunately, her post-cancer meds have made her gain some weight that's hard to lose, but she recently switched meds so she's hoping to lose the extra pounds)

OK, I've raaaambled!
But way good for you! Keep it up! If you're looking for a suggestion for a good workout dvd for inside, I just love Carmen Elektra's set! She gets you working out AND sexy (you gain mucho confidence!) It's not racy, lol, clothes stay on in all the videos... I got my set on ebay!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bruce, I said my lower half is getting sleek -- my upper half is nowhere near swimsuit-ready!

Yes, Buzby, there are Curves gyms around here, and you're right, that's the sort of place where I wouldn't be too self-conscious to go. I'll check that out! It might be affordable, at least for the summer. Thank you!

I wish I could do a video workout at home, but I'd be much too self-conscious with my mom around. However -- don't tell her! -- sometimes after she's gone to bed, I play a little Michael Buble very quietly and samba around the living room...

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

great job!!!
keep it up.
i would still suggest some swiming also, it will cause less stress on the body,and can help to increase you stamia
And keep you COOL!

Congrats on the 25 days! I really need to start taking some motivation from all you gals reporting good news on here!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Yes, Buzby, there are Curves gyms around here, and you're right, that's the sort of place where I wouldn't be too self-conscious to go. I'll check that out! It might be affordable, at least for the summer. Thank you!

I wish I could do a video workout at home, but I'd be much too self-conscious with my mom around. However -- don't tell her! -- sometimes after she's gone to bed, I play a little Michael Buble very quietly and samba around the living room...
As far as I know, Curves is pretty affordable... we're by no means rich and my mom goes year round - I believe, also, that insurance companies are starting to cover gyms, so that would definitely be worth looking into!

Here is the curves website: http://www.curves.com/
If there is one near you, you can go over (from what I hear from lots of women - mom's friends lol - all over the place, all the ladies at various curves are super nice!) and the person in charge will give you a tour and explain the process and fees - I think you also get a couple of workouts free to make sure it's right for you... I know new people have come in a few times when I was there with my mom and all the ladies working out always say hi and welcome the new lady and tell her how much they love curves!

PS: I'm in NO WAY affiliated with Curves, I've just seen it work for my mom and her friends, lol and I know some people at her's are post-weight-reduction surgery

Once you keep losing weight, you'll be samba-ing all over the place!!!
(but yeah, I'd feel weird doing it in front of my mom haha... I did it a lot in my own apartment at college, and do it here at home when no one's home or in my room)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

But by requiring myself to take a walk once in every 24-hour period no matter what, I've been able to stay committed. So for the first time in my life, I've followed an exercise program for 25 solid days -- and now I find I actually want to walk, I like it, I'm eager to do it!
That's wonderful!

I am the same since I started into the Cardiac Rehab Program at a local Wellness Institute. I was going 5 to 6 times per week and even on days when I really didn't feel like going, no excuse I came up with seemed to justify staying home, so I went anyway.

I was sick with the flu, and then looking after Chynna, so I missed 5 weeks of the gym, and I sure missed it! I'm back into it again and I look so forward to going. I regret that I live so far away from it because there are times in the evening that I feel like I would love to go and work out on the treadmill or something.

Keep up the excellent work! Bookmark the following thread and keep us updated on your progress!

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho....php?p=2163686

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also found that commiting myself to every day, was what works for me! Congratulations Carol! I am SO very proud of you!!!

I've taken time off from going to the gym, since I started my back injections. I was on a 7 pound weight restriction. I plan to start back on Monday, the 28th. I can't believe how much I've missed it! I still walk nightly on my treadmill, but the weights had become part of my workout.

Keep up the good work girlfriend!!!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you're doing great! And in the summer you could be one of the mall walkers!
Or take up swimming. I so wish I could have the lab band done. But my insurance doesn't cover anything like that.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats! I am also doing a walking program as part of my college req's. We need 2 - 0.5 credit PE classes to graduate and I chose walking. It is so nice to get out and walk, and it is cheap, too.

I listed to audiobooks on my iPod, or else a playlist I made called walking music.

In the summer, can you walk super-early in the morning? It may be cooler then.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You are really on your way!
Isn't that a wonderful feeling? I know I was over the moon when I realized I had lost enough weight to eliminate my chronic sciatica. First it was just wonderful to walk without pain and tingling, then it was wonderful to realize that I was actually feeling lighter and, um, certain areas chafing
was no longer an issue. Now I even occasionally run/jog a little and go to the gym and do a lot of indoor exercise tapes. DVDs are particularly good when it gets really hot outside and it's not as safe to exert yourself.

The tapes I started out with were "Walk away the pounds" with Leslie Sansone--really just walking/marching in place, but I could do 2 or 3 miles in my living room. I also had a "Yoga for Weight Loss" DVD that was good for stretching. Then I graduated to "The Firm" and added weights.

I belong to a video fitness forum where they review tapes --let me know if you want the link!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That is great
The every other day applies to resistance training so your muscles have a chance to repair. But walking every day is definitely a good thing.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awesome Carol!!

When I used to work at a mall in Chicago, we had the winter walkers come out in force. While it was too cold to walk outside, people would come to the mall and walk back and forth the length of it every day. Perhaps when its too hot down there to walk in the summer, find an enclosed mall to walk in? It's free!!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Isabel

Congrats! I am also doing a walking program as part of my college req's. We need 2 - 0.5 credit PE classes to graduate and I chose walking. It is so nice to get out and walk, and it is cheap, too.

I listed to audiobooks on my iPod, or else a playlist I made called walking music.

In the summer, can you walk super-early in the morning? It may be cooler then.
Haha, I had that requirement in college too... but I have stress fractures in both my shins (high school track injury) and I can't do a whole lot of walking/running at once... so I took a "health" (sex ed lol) class to fill the req

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your story reminds me of the one about the man who was discouraged and went to his doctor. He wanted the doctor to tell him some way he could commit suicide so that it wasn't obvious, so his wife could collect his life insurance.

The doctor told him the only way he could think of was to run himself to death. Just start out running, and run until he dropped dead. He went home, put on some sweats, and started running. He only got 3 or 4 blocks before he got so tired, he just gave up and decided to try again the next day. After a month of doing this, going farther each day, he felt so good he forgot why he wanted to commit suicide!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Your story reminds me of the one about the man who was discouraged and went to his doctor. He wanted the doctor to tell him some way he could commit suicide so that it wasn't obvious, so his wife could collect his life insurance.

The doctor told him the only way he could think of was to run himself to death. Just start out running, and run until he dropped dead. He went home, put on some sweats, and started running. He only got 3 or 4 blocks before he got so tired, he just gave up and decided to try again the next day. After a month of doing this, going farther each day, he felt so good he forgot why he wanted to commit suicide!
Smart doctor!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great job! They do say exercise is addictive.

I just started using one of those mini trampolines but I have to admit I don`t do it every day which really annoys me. My excuse is I`ll wake Kitty up

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you, that's fantastic! When it's too hot, you might try an easy jog in place while watching your favorite TV show. Just keep moving, and you can exercise your arms at the same time. Keep up the good work!