Science Diet

madi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think of Science Diet kitten food? Some people seem to not like it..?

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like Science Diet as I don't think the ingredients are very good, especially for the price. The first ingredient is chicken by-product meal, followed by corn and animal fat. Then corn gluten meal and brewers rice. None of these are quality ingredients, or even real food, IMO. Sharky's best with explaining the food ingredients though.

For the same cost I can get a premium food that's high in protein and contains quality whole foods without things like corn and gluten.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The veterinary formulas are excellent for many things, but for just regular kitten food you can probably do much better. I like purina pro plan if you're a grocery store shopper, but if you can find a pet supply store you can do even better yet.

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you are looking for a great kitten food that is relatively inexpensive, I would recommend Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover's Soul.....you can find it at specialty pet stores and I would say that it is less expensive than Science Diet.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Eliot'sMom

If you are looking for a great kitten food that is relatively inexpensive, I would recommend Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover's Soul.....you can find it at specialty pet stores and I would say that it is less expensive than Science Diet.
if you can't find it, try local feed stores. that's where i can find it. at mine, it runs about $23 for 18 pounds [regular adult - the kitten i've never gotten]. here's an ingredient/price comparison from petfooddirect.com & the chicken soup website
SD kitten/$37.99 for 17 pounds
Ingredients:
Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Corn Gluten Meal, Brewers Rice, Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Potassium Chloride, Soybean Mill Run, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, L-Lysine, vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Iodized Salt, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, L-Tryptophan, Magnesium Oxide, L-Arginine, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.
Chicken soup kitten/$24.59 for 15 pounds
IngredientsChicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), ocean fish meal, white rice, potatoes, oatmeal, millet, powdered cellulose, natural chicken flavor, salmon, turkey, duck, flaxseed, salmon oil (source of DHA), egg product, methionine, potassium chloride, choline chloride, taurine, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.