seasoning for lamb, pork, etc.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the request of Kiwideus, here is one of my "takes" on a wet rub for roasts.

I gave this to BuzbyJLC10. She used it on a pork tenderloin to rave reviews.

OK - this is my best guess for proportions:

1 tbp minced garlic (I buy the stuff in the jar)
2 tbp dijon mustard -either regular or "country (grainy)"
1/4 c. olive oil
1 tsp crushed up dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried oregano
optional:
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander

1 tsp salt (I don't do this -I cook low salt. But you can add it in.)
3-4 cranks of a black pepper mill (1/2 to 1 tsp est.)

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and spread liberally on the piece of meat you are cooking. This would be very good on beef or pork.

Optional: sprinkle Panko (Japanese bread crumbs) or regular non-seasoned crumbs on top of the meat and press in. Drizzle a little more olive oil on top to make a crust. (This is good for a lean cut of meat like pork tenderloin.)

Roast as you would normally for the cut of meat.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ

Loved it!
I used regular unseasoned bread crumbs... didn't have coriander... and had to nix the cumin when I opened the jar to find bugs
(it was a last minute thing tonite to decide to make this - happened to have a fresh pork tenderloin in the fridge) - so even making these changes/omissions, it was to die for!

My pork tenderloin was between 1 and 2 pounds... I baked it at 325*F for 45-50 minutes until the internal temperature was 170*F: just in case anyone was wondering the temps/times for that (I went searching through cookbooks for temps and then estimated my time)

We will definitely do this rub again - maybe try it on chicken and other meats at some point! I made mashed potatoes with it tonite and I ladled some of the drippings from the pork pan onto my serving of potatoes - it was great!

Props to you, Adrien, for putting this together and figuring out proportions for me yet again... my family just can't get over how good it was!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Loved it!
I used regular unseasoned bread crumbs... didn't have coriander... and had to nix the cumin when I opened the jar to find bugs
(it was a last minute thing tonite to decide to make this - happened to have a fresh pork tenderloin in the fridge) - so even making these changes/omissions, it was to die for!

My pork tenderloin was between 1 and 2 pounds... I baked it at 325*F for 45-50 minutes until the internal temperature was 170*F: just in case anyone was wondering the temps/times for that (I went searching through cookbooks for temps and then estimated my time)

We will definitely do this rub again - maybe try it on chicken and other meats at some point! I made mashed potatoes with it tonite and I ladled some of the drippings from the pork pan onto my serving of potatoes - it was great!

Props to you, Adrien, for putting this together and figuring out proportions for me yet again... my family just can't get over how good it was!
Anytime, hon! If you want other suggestions, glad to help. I don't eat out very much, so the only other option is to cook - something I have been doing since I was a little girl.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much! I will be sure to try it! It sounds sooo heavenly.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Anytime, hon! If you want other suggestions, glad to help. I don't eat out very much, so the only other option is to cook - something I have been doing since I was a little girl.
Awesome! Yeah we don't order out all that much and recently have been trying lots of new recipes... tomorrow's new one is a slow-cooker recipe involving chicken breasts and cheddar cheese soup (there are a few other things in there but I can't remember off hand) and then you serve it over pasta... sometimes it just seems like "we always have this for dinner" and I start looking for new things... I love cooking and since I quit my job in March, I'm usually in charge of making dinner for my family - too bad student loans will prevent me from staying the family's cook forever
(unless some sweet, funny, faithful, adorable, rich man comes along to marry me
)

Your rub recipe has already made it into one of the recipe books lol

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am going to be using this rub on my beef roast tonight. I can't wait to taste it!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're probably going to use the recipe again this coming week haha

My mom is going on her yearly "girlfriends" trip starting next Thursday morning... her one best friend who is flying out with her will be coming over to stay the night on Wednesday and I'm taking them to the airport in the morning (the other girls live other places and they'll all meet in SC)... so my mom suggested tonight that we do this rub on the pork again for dinner the night her friend is here

OH! And (I hope it's ok) but my mom was telling people at work how good it was and had me print up a few more copies of the recipe to share! (I had just copied and pasted the needed content from your PM into Word - your sn isn't on there just how you signed "-Adrien"... don't worry, my mom doesn't work with any weird ladies lol)

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

1 tbp minced garlic (I buy the stuff in the jar)
2 tbp dijon mustard -either regular or "country (grainy)"
1/4 c. olive oil
1 tsp crushed up dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried oregano
optional:
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander

1 tsp salt (I don't do this -I cook low salt. But you can add it in.)
3-4 cranks of a black pepper mill (1/2 to 1 tsp est.)
Hey that's almost the exact recipe I follow, but without rosemary or mustard!
I use it for lamb only though. It's a great recipe for those looking for something that won't smother your meat with flavor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, wow! I'm going to get a swelled head!!!