Da Bird is a Disaster.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my Oh my Oh my,

Stoli has always been extremely possessive of his special toys - mice, feathers. Well on a suggestion, I purchased Da Bird and a refill. Yesterday was his first time playing with it and it was a scene. I had a hard time getting it away from him but it wasn't abnormal. Well today I didn't get it away from him. I finally had to let it go and he ran away upstairs with it. Hissing, growling all the normal but just much more of it.

I followed him and finally was making headway on getting Da Bird out of his mouth when the thing snapped off. Yup. I was left holding the string and wand and he had the feathers.

So, I started down stairs and fed Luxor dinner. Stoli came down but didn't want to give up his bird. I fed him on the floor and when he was occupied I stole da bird. I don't really know if I want to get it out again after that encounter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He loves this thing but he get possessed. And I have to say - I only was flying it around for about 10 seconds before he did a flying leap and caught it.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got it out again - and he was still pretty possessive, he popped the bird off again but I got it away much quicker.

I was shocked though that it took all of about 10 seconds of him assessing the flight pattern then jumping up and killing da bird.

video - up coming.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found mine were like that the first time or two but have since settled to a medium frenzy when playing with it. I've even trained my three to sit in a triangle in the backyard and take turns with it. Of course, I HAVE to make it dissolve into a free for all by spinning wildly for the finale.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i got chloe a toy kinda like that when i first brought her home. it had a suction cup on the end and since she wouldnt come out yet i suctioned it to the oven door.
i got up the next morning and it was DESTROYED. she had broken the little arms into pieces (she was only 5mos old to the day plus had just been spayed) the string was in bits and i dont know where the feathers were. i found pieces here and there. she didnt eat them. the suction cup was still on the oven. there were parts of the arm piece i never did find

i think she had some unresolved anger about being adopted lol

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I think we need video to help... uhhh.... assess the problem
I agree. This could be critical to our entertainment....I mean...critical to.....uhhhh, yeah, assess the problem!

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pan does the same thing with da bird....super possessive weirdo behavior.

As I type this, he is walking around with the feather part of da bird in his mouth....I can't get it away from him....BTW, it is also a destroyed, stubby feathered mess. He eats through them so regularly, I could buy two replacement feathers a week.

Good luck now that you have introduced "The Monster" , as my BF calls it.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sure brings out his hunting instincts!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zekkie's possessive of Da Bird too. I have to hide it in the closet, since he hasn't figured out how to open door knobs yet. When I do get it out, he huffs and growls at Odo when Odo comes near. He then drags it around the house by the feather end while Odo chases the stick end. Zek stops every few feet to huff and growl again. It's really quite funny. I've found that they get less possessive if I leave the toys out--Zek had another wand toy that he did the same thing with. When I stopped putting it away, he lost some interest in it and no longer growls at Odo over it. With Da Bird, Zek will actually eat the feathers, so I still have to hide that one from him when I'm not around to supervise--refills are expensive!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just wondering if I should let him drag the toy around because when I was holding onto the wand end and he had the feathers (it looked like he was walking me on a leash) the feather part just popped right off the line. Does that happen to many people?

caroleen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll fess this gave me a visual that would be better substantiated with a video but I was laughing hard none the less.....
Cats are a riot.....

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

I'm just wondering if I should let him drag the toy around because when I was holding onto the wand end and he had the feathers (it looked like he was walking me on a leash) the feather part just popped right off the line. Does that happen to many people?
It does happen occasionally, but I can't say it's a regular occurance. Usually when it does happen, Bella goes padding off with the feathers in her mouth

I try to never leave them with it unattended if at all possible. Da Bird (and any refills) live in the "closet of mysteries" with the radio controlled mouse and the surplus cardboard scratchers... I know it would be completely destroyed otherwise.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sonic is like that with furry things - if he finds one he will prowl around with it in his mouth growling. After a while he does calm down and will start playing normally and will even share with the other cats. It is really quite funny, he gets so worked up bless him.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sounds like the same thing Roxy does! We have to hide it from her when she's not playing with it or she will shred up the feathers and eat them! It is currently between our mattress and box spring when we are not playing with it, because she finds it anywhere else!

What's really funny is watching our 100 pound puppy chasing it and trying to pounce on the feathers!!!

Roxy has other ones where the string part is cloth(not sure what it is called)...these we can leave out and every morning when we wake up they are all dragged into our bedroom, along with her catnip-filled mouse!