Does anyone know?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK last week when Popsie had a blood panel done his ALT was 265. I took him to a new vet today and was going over all his counts and he said that high of an ALT count really concerned him. Especially with a Ca count of 12.2. Popsie had another panel done today and his ALT was only 47. The vet said that was very weird. Um, his Ca was 11.4 today so that's still a small concern. He is going to get another panel done in two weeks and see what comes up. Would anyone know why his ALT would drop from 265 to 47 in a week?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was Popsie on any type of medication lately? Many medicines are metabolized by the liver, and can cause transient liver enzyme elevations. Also, if he quit eating, or ate less than usual, it could cause elevated liver enzymes (fatty liver disease), diabetes can cause elevated liver enzymes, viral infections also can cause elevated liver enzymes. There can be lots of reasons that liver enzymes are elevated, and often they return to normal without incident.

Whenever Cleo has to go on Flagyl (metronidizole) for her IBD, she ends up with elevated liver function tests. These gradually return to normal, over the course of a week or two after the Flagyl is discontinued.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Was Popsie on any type of medication lately? Many medicines are metabolized by the liver, and can cause transient liver enzyme elevations. Also, if he quit eating, or ate less than usual, it could cause elevated liver enzymes (fatty liver disease), diabetes can cause elevated liver enzymes, viral infections also can cause elevated liver enzymes. There can be lots of reasons that liver enzymes are elevated, and often they return to normal without incident.

Whenever Cleo has to go on Flagyl (metronidizole) for her IBD, she ends up with elevated liver function tests. These gradually return to normal, over the course of a week or two after the Flagyl is discontinued.
Last week when his ALT was 265 the only thing he was on is lactulose. He hasn't been on anything since a renal diet since then. Someone from the crf yahoogroup said a drop in ALT could be from malnutrition which a renal diet certianly could cause that. Today his BUN was 32 and his CREA was 2.5. I stressed my concerns about a renal diet to the vet and asked if he really needed it. The vet said as long as he likes the food and he's not losing weight on it, I should just keep him on the diet. He's going back in two weeks for another panel. If his ALT is low again I will ask about malnutrition.