Tell me about your wedding

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious to know for those of you who are married...how was your wedding? Big or little? Expensive or inexpensive? Location? Alcoholic or non alcoholic?

Anything you share would be awesome

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there wedding bells ringing in your head already??

My wedding is soon can i share mine too?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Are there wedding bells ringing in your head already??

My wedding is soon can i share mine too?
No wedding bells yet..(we're not even engaged) but I am getting curious how to pull it off with minimal amounts of money.

Yes Fran please share your plans!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my wedding was small-medium, I had a about 150 people, most of whom were my mom and dad's friends
We had my reception in my Aunt's backyard, so while we saved on hall rental, we did have to rent tents and tables and chairs. My Aunt's neighbor catered it, at a discount, my aunt's friend did my flowers, at a discount (notice a pattern here?
)

We shopped around for DJs and photographers, and while we did not hire the cheapest folks, the people we did hire were excellent and well worth the price.

The thing that was splurged on was my dress, i never wanted to buy an expensive dress, but it just so happened that the first dress I tried on was perfect....and cost $1,000

Now, my parents paid for everything but the rehearsal dinner and the honeymoon (the honeymoon was almost as much as the whole wedding
also well worth it though!) and I believe it came to around $7-8000

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katie that sounds nice! $7000-$8000 seems very reasonable to me too. I want a nice wedding, but not a huge crazy wedding..because cost is a factor. Stupid cost

I don't even think I know 150 people
Mine would be like 50 people I bet.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours is currenlty well underway with the planning. We'll be about 80 people in total. We were planning on getting married in the English church in Copenhagen (www.st-albans.dk) but it seems that we'll have to have a civil service and then have a blessing in the church instead. It's all to do with restrictions they have as a guest church. Shame, but we can find a solution. We'll have the blessing, hire a canal boat for the wedding party and guests (which doesn't cost very much for an hour - about $320). The boat will drop us all off at our wedding reception location where we'll get dinner and cake!

I have three bridesmaids and two flowergirls and of course little Alex will be ringbearer. We've saved money by shopping around for things - I've handmade all of the invitations, and found a gown for about $1200. The bridesmaids are in deep red, pink and pale green (each wearing the same style dress, just in a different colour) and their dresses cost about $220 each. The flowergirls I'll worry about later. I'm going to invest in some silk flowers too... that way the girls can keep their dresses and shoes and flowers. Rune and I are having matching wedding rings in silver - instead of white gold - it looks exactly the same and doesn't lose it's colour so quickly.

Of course we will have champagne - but I don't know how much of anything else we'll provide. Probably wine over dinner... I can't say what Rune has arranged for himself and his best man and ushers.... probably not much yet! We've still got 16 months left to plan and pay for things. We started early so that we could have a good long run-up at it and therefore enjoy the day when it arrives. We have a lot of things in place already - just the major headaches - and the fiddly details can wait until later on.

We're planning on shopping around for the best deals we can get really - probably it will come to about 6-7000$.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Katie that sounds nice! $7000-$8000 seems very reasonable to me too. I want a nice wedding, but not a huge crazy wedding..because cost is a factor. Stupid cost

I don't even think I know 150 people
Mine would be like 50 people I bet.
yeah, i don't know 150 people either, but my parents invited all their friends and I had family i didn't even know there!
but since they paid for it they could invite anyone they wanted! Also forgot to mention that my wedding was alcoholic, but due to the fact that I didn't eat all day and then chugged the champagne in the limo following the ceremony, i was a bit green around the gills and didn't drink anything else

my wedding was great, too bad the marriage wasn't

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Wedding had a about 30 people. It was in a Hotel and it was very Stormy. Over 30 people did not come. We had a DJ who is the Traffic Guy on Ktvu 2.
Some of you from the Bay Area know who he is. We had Sal Castaneda. We had Flowers and a Dedcation to my Mom. I can post some of our Wedding Pics if you want. My Color was Apple Red.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiny - Married at the courthouse by a judge (she was nice, too) with just family present and family afterwards for a nice big dinner. Who needs catering? DH's grandmother is a wonderful cook!

And it was perfectly fine by me. Neither of us are religious so we did not want a church and minister, and we don't like big social events. DH, his father, and his mother drank a little. Best of all, no one got me into a dress.

Costs where just for the marriage license and the judge's time.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Trav and I are having two engagement parties and two weddings.. whoo..

I have budgeted the engagement party in germany fully to the detail.
Firstly alcohol in germany is dirt cheap, 4 x 20 boxes of beer plus soft drinks and a heap of finger food for the party. I am making all by my self, which i have estimated 3 hours preparation time. (i work very fast in the kitchen)

Oh yes and dont forget the engagement cake too!
We are having the party in a park!

The second engagement party is held after our legal marriage at the registry office. Because this is held in australia and alcohol is much more expensive there Trav has decided that we invest roughly AUD$2,000 This is our biggest discussion because this is our party its not for his friends to enjoy the alcohol. Oh and we plan on doing this by the beach

We will be getting married this November at the registry office and then we will go out for a meal with his family afterwards.

The big celebration is next year, where all of my family will be arriving to Australia from Scotland and Italy and some friends from Germany. This will be held in Australia. I will be hiring a hall, table cloths, plates and cutlery and of course cups and doing everything else hand made. To cut down on costs. I will hire the hall out the day before so i can do everything in time. Yes i may have help from other people for the heavy stuff.
We will be looking at a caterer who will also be our waiters for the night ect. And if my friend does come down with her husband then he is going to be our DJ (in this case thank jesus that OUR parents are paying for most of the costs because we are looking at more than $5,000AUD)

I am also improvising on making the wedding cake, but i cant get the silly cake straight! It just has a lump at the top

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow Fran, that sounds like some work!! I'm also planning on making our wedding cake. I'll be doing it a couple of days before the big day and Rune and I will drive it out to the reception location outrselves. It will be three-tiered with each tier being a different flavour. We can rent a stand for not a lot of money. And ready-roll icing is my best friend. A length of red ribbon to go round the base of each tier, and a couple of silk roses for the top. Simple as that! And soooooo cheap!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

Wow Fran, that sounds like some work!! I'm also planning on making our wedding cake. I'll be doing it a couple of days before the big day and Rune and I will drive it out to the reception location outrselves. It will be three-tiered with each tier being a different flavour. We can rent a stand for not a lot of money. And ready-roll icing is my best friend. A length of red ribbon to go round the base of each tier, and a couple of silk roses for the top. Simple as that! And soooooo cheap!
Yeah thats what i am doing, but i think i have to order a couple of things from england because over here i cant find half of the stuff, i cant find cake holders or anything like that.

Although for our engagement I found this little bear wedding ornament and thats going on our cake

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first wedding was in 1993 ...many moons ago, we had a sit down dinner for 350 peeps, and my parents paid 1/2 and my in laws paid 1/2 it was about $15,000-17,000 with everything. My inlaws paid for our 2 week honeymoon in Mexico! My first DH died in 1996

My 2nd wedding was in Puerto Rico in 1998 in a hotel...cost us nothing but to pay the man to marry us
And the trip to Puerto Rico was a business expense

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our wedding was fairly small and cheap!
We had a really cool outside ceremony planned BUT terrible rain storms ruined that!!
Talk about last minute plans...luckily we found a church that would allow us to have the wedding there!!

Forgot to add that my in laws paid for us to go on a honeymoon.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to
right about now...when my Bro & SIL got married, her dress cost more than the wedding ceremony!

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
O.O Holy jebus, people! I wish my dad would pay for something like that!

When someday I contemplate marriage, I'm eloping. Seriously.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was 2nd marriage for both of us, so it was pretty inexpensive
(we saved our money for a year to go to Hawaii for the honeymoon).

Long story, but we wound up with a judge. However, she was almost in tears as we made up our own vows and a lot of his family was there - judge said it was the biggest courtroom wedding she had seen.

We all went to a restaurant after for the reception. We paid for our dinners, our kids' dinners and the rest paid for their own meals. We did have a small reception at the house with cake and opened the presents there.

I don't remember anyone ordering alcohol drinks at the restaurant

Our one son is getting married in August this year - his wedding will be non-alcoholic. We've seen enough problems with irresponsible drinking at weddings!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I think I know I want a traditional wedding. White dress, family and friends, dinner...etc..problem is the money. I am not creative AT ALL when it comes to making ANYTHING.

I want the ceremony and the reception to be on the same day. (Traditional right). Josh wanted to get married in front of god SOON and then have the reception when we can afford it. I prefer to wait to afford the whole thing at once. Plus I remind him that he hasn't even proposed yet so he can't be going around planning to be married soon

ETA: our wedding will be non alcoholic...no idea how that will work..lol