I'm not a nice girl.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I talked to the owner of our shop and let him in on things that have been bothering me and told him I was leaving. He said that some of the things I said, he wasn't aware of and that he'd look into all of it. He also told me that he didn't want me leaving so he was going to call our "supervisor" and see what could be done to change things there.
I am extremely proud of myself. I wasn't rude, I wasn't mean. I just told him exactly what was happening and why I was leaving. I told him I made MORE then enough money and that wasn't the case, just the other issues I had were.
Which is true. For what I make, I am very satisfied. I know it could be a WHOLE lot less, so I am not complaining about the money aspect, just about the fact that she is trying to take it after giving someone a raise and more hours when they said they were leaving for another higher paying job.. There's one thing I chatted with him about...the others well, there are to many to type. My fingers would fall off..

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

Good for you for standing up for yourself like that
hopefully things will change- if they do are you going to stay?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

hopefully things will change- if they do are you going to stay?
ya know, it'll have to change alot for me to stay. And I seriously doubt at this point that it will before my notice is up..

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well at least you brought up your issues to the owner. If conditions don't improve for you at least the other employees might have a better working environment.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Good for you!

I quit my job in March for kind of the same reason... I wasn't there that long, but I got the job because my dad's buddy has worked there for an eternity (well I didn't get it because of him but he got me the interview)... the whole place is run so very backwardly and anciently and since I know my dad's buddy, I know this company will not listen to suggestions on change... the way they ran things was causing me so much stress that I was getting migraines after an hour of being there and could see myself heading towards depression - I knew no job (let alone $12/hr) was worth that so I quit... I had gone to the personell department before quitting though and explained to them what a hard time I was having and why... of course they were like "oh we'll get right on this and fix things for you!" and of course not a darn thing was done (and I knew nothing ever would be done)... some times you just gotta get out of places like that!

If you don't mind me asking, what type of place were you working at? Just curious

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
being nice, has nothing to do with it.
if the rule is managers only close twice a week, then they will just have to share the load. if you boss wont do what they are supposed to, then you need to go over that person head.

hehhe i go over my boss head so much that both he and his boss have foot prints on there head.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Good for you!

I quit my job in March for kind of the same reason... I wasn't there that long, but I got the job because my dad's buddy has worked there for an eternity (well I didn't get it because of him but he got me the interview)... the whole place is run so very backwardly and anciently and since I know my dad's buddy, I know this company will not listen to suggestions on change... the way they ran things was causing me so much stress that I was getting migraines after an hour of being there and could see myself heading towards depression - I knew no job (let alone $12/hr) was worth that so I quit... I had gone to the personell department before quitting though and explained to them what a hard time I was having and why... of course they were like "oh we'll get right on this and fix things for you!" and of course not a darn thing was done (and I knew nothing ever would be done)... some times you just gotta get out of places like that!

If you don't mind me asking, what type of place were you working at? Just curious
I was working in a restaurant as the asst manager. I was there for a total of 17 years. I had my first panic attack a week ago. Not fun and not worth keeping my job over.

Originally Posted by theimp98

being nice, has nothing to do with it.
if the rule is managers only close twice a week, then they will just have to share the load. if you boss wont do what they are supposed to, then you need to go over that person head.

hehhe i go over my boss head so much that both he and his boss have foot prints on there head.
Good for you! Us little people need to keep the upper crust in check so to speak.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, don't you just feel great! That took a lot of guts.

Nobody where I work is happy, and we're losing all of our good/experienced employees by the time I leave in Sept. The department I'm in will fall apart (not just because of me leaving, lol)

I'm crossing my fingers hoping stuff will change. I can't do much because I am transferring to a Philadelphia and need that job waiting when I get there. Hopefully someone will step up like you!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you!

I was in difficult work situations at times when I was younger.

Back when I first entered the work force I was always afraid of losing my job because I needed it! And this came across to my employers and they took clear advantage of that. So as a result I put up with a great deal of abuse including sexual harrassment.

As I got older my attitude changed completely. I came to realize that my physical and mental health were more important than any job, and that money is not my God. Because of that I am not afraid to speak up and stand up for myself and what is wrong. As a result I am always the one in control of where I am working and employers don't hold any leverage to hold over my head.

I work as a nurse and because of the staffing shortage the supervisors will often ask if you can do a double shift. If everyone says no, and it's deemed a necessity that someone stay to fill the staffing shortage for the next shift, the supervisor can tell you that you have to stay.

If you refuse to stay even when told you have to, you can be arrested and charged with "Abandonment" which carries a jail sentence of 5 years and up to a $2,000.00 fine, plus you could lose your job.

I've told many supervisors that if they ever try to force me to work a shift that I've refused because of my health, that I will quit on the spot. And they know that I mean it too.

Yes, I need the money, but I don't need it enough to make myself sicker than I already am.

Never show an employer that you are desperate for the job or that you need the money. Some employers when they find this out, will take full advantage of the situation because they know they can walk all over you and you will take it because you are afraid to lose your job.