New Adoption - only 5 weeks old today

jennywhite686

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought a kitten home last night thats only 5 weeks old today (I know they should be left with mom for a few more weeks, but the situation prevented it). Now she's home with me though, I want to make sure she's getting everything she needs. My other 2 cats were 12 weeks and 16 weeks old when I brought them home and MUCH larger and more 'able' than this kitten seems to be. I have her feeding on kitten kibble, and soaked kitten kibble mush, she's alternating between the 2. She seems fine with using the litter box, and she's drinking lots. I tried to lock her in the bathroom overnight so the older 2 cats cant torture her without me knowing... but she HOWLED. For a really long time too, so I brought her into the bedroom with me. I guess I have 2 main questions ...
1) Should she still be getting kitten milk?
2) If my 8 month old female wants to be friendly (and she seems to be friendly so far) should I let them just sleep together so the kitten doesnt lose all cat contact.
Any other thing Im missing? By the way she is SO gorgeous
I cant wait until my male accepts her into the house and she can have free run.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a good idea that you are being cautious and supervising them right now, even if your 8 month old girl accepts the baby, she might play too rough and injure your new girl.

The kitten is used to being with it's litter mates and mother, so being separated is stressful on her, hence the howling... she was probably just calling for her family. So it will be nice when you can trust the older cat with the kitten, she will enjoy the companionship. Maybe you can keep the kitten and your 8 month in the room with you at night so that you can hear any squeals the kitten may make if older kitty gets rough. I have a feeling they should be fine. Older kitty might already have some natural motherly instinct and be just fine.

Also - it couldnt hurt to offer the 5 week old kitten milk. She will most certainly enjoy this and the extra nutrition will be good for her.

Good luck with your new addition! If you have pictures, we would love to meet her!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, I'd take her to the vet ASAP. They can offer the best advice on feeding, etc.

Until she's tested negative for FeLV, been dewormed, etc....I'd keep her away from your other cats.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO as long as every has their shots and the kitten has a clean bill of health, its probably better for her to interact with the older cats. They can teach her all the stuff she needs to know that was deprived of her.

Locking a 5 week old in the bathroom with no brothers/sisters, is not a good idea. The older cats might be a little hissy or growling or a little swatting at the kitten, but they will probably accept her in a short time.

I'd be feeding her canned kitten food with KMR or other kitten milk replacement rather then the dry. Wait till she's about 7-8 weeks old before adding the dry into the mixture. You will have an easier time getting her to eat canned food (make it soupy) and might have to sit there and kinda force feed till she gets the idea of eating it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO as long as every has their shots and the kitten has a clean bill of health, its probably better for her to interact with the older cats. They can teach her all the stuff she needs to know that was deprived of her.

Locking a 5 week old in the bathroom with no brothers/sisters, is not a good idea. The older cats might be a little hissy or growling or a little swatting at the kitten, but they will probably accept her in a short time.

I'd be feeding her canned kitten food with KMR or other kitten milk replacement rather then the dry. Wait till she's about 7-8 weeks old before adding the dry into the mixture. You will have an easier time getting her to eat canned food (make it soupy) and might have to sit there and kinda force feed till she gets the idea of eating it.
i agree with all of this. when i brought in Firefox, she was maybe 4-5 weeks old. i fed her wet food mixed w/KMR, plus i also gave her KMR straight in between.
any dry she ate was at her will - it would be sitting out for the adults, she'd occasionally nibble it.
once she reached 2 pounds, i stopped the KMR. by then she was probably at least 12 weeks.
bacteria can grow quickly on dampened dry, btw, so exercise caution.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn't keep the kitten locked up alone. I'd let the cats together and supervise. It shouldn't take very long before you know if you can trust the older cats not to hurt the kitten. Ramsay seemed to know that Gus was a baby when we brought him in. He actually took on a sort of fatherly role. He played gentle (normally he plays very hard), he groomed him, he gave him a clawless smack or a nip when Gus was out of line. I think Gus learned a lot from Ramsay.