*****KatKwiz! - April 23 - KatKwery=2100!*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KatKwery: Yesterday's word was contest. Other words not chosen were: duplicate, more, superbowl, contribute. Today offers a good chance for some catching up in the race for 100,000 points!

The picture below is not new to some of you. It is the cat's dining room and they always eat together from a large dinner plate kept full of dry food 24/7.

How does the TCS Head Cat feel about this? Find absolute proof and paste the link _______(here)_______

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
TCS Head Cat says,
Personally, I prefer free-feeding. I don't like my cats to go around hungry, or to wake me up asking for food

I leave some dry food in their bowl at all times. They don't overeat because they're not that crazy about the taste. They only eat as much as they need to keep full.
This can be found at this link...
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...t=free-feeding

...which is the same link already posted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I think this is it.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ht=cats+eating
And you think right! That is the very thread that made me feel like I wasn't such a bad guy, after all!
Congratulations!
And I might point out, I weigh my cats often and they never gain weight!

KatKwery: (2,100 points)
How often do you feed your cats? Wet or dry? Are they satisfied with what they get? What about treats? Do they get sick ever/often?

Just in case you have not noticed yet, I ask five questions a day. I read the questions to DW and she gives me a one word answer. These are the five words that the kats pick the final word of the day from. Some hard, some easy to use. If no winner today, the points jump to 2,800 tomorrow in the race to the 100,000 point superbowl.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay
I free feed dry and give him one can of wet a day. One can is all he'll eat. I don't give him too many treats because they bind him up. I just started him on a renal diet and he really likes his new food.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We offer our kiddies dry food all day and night also. The pregnant and nursing fosters get canned food as well, and occasionally I will feed the resident cats wet food as a treat. They seem to be full and satisfied, although I swear Roly Poly is always famished! He will walk away from a dish with food in it though, so I guess that is good. Maybe he's just holding out for the good stuff, the delicacies! None of them are overweight, and they seem to maintain a steady, healthy weight.

Of course we've had incidents where the cats have gotten sick or thrown up, but thankfully it isnt a regular occurrence. Because of Joshua's compromised immune system we are not allowed to have live plants in the house, but I do have a pot of cat grass that I keep outside in the warm months and bring in occasionally for the cats to enjoy.

As for treats, my youngest daughter is a huge animal lover! Every time she earns money or gets it as a gift, she spends it on the animals, buying bones for the dog, or toys and treats for the cats. We've tried cat nip, but our cats dont seem to be affected by it much. They do love pounce treats and such... and will eat them in one sitting if you let them.

Spoiled Brats

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Persi & Alley;2266690 said:
How often do you feed your cats? Wet or dry? Are they satisfied with what they get? What about treats? Do they get sick ever/often?

We feed our cats moist food twice a day and I do tend to do the free feeding with dry food. I cannot stand listening to their pitiful cries begging for food.
I know I shouldn't feel that way but darn they are so cute!
I really wish I could have them on better food. I had them on some really good all natural food but all of them have problems with UTIs so I have to have them on a special diet for that. I do splurge with giving them treats. We have the natural ones that we give them. Usually it is once a day that they get those. They are addicted to them though so we really have to watch it.
As far as sickness, Oreo has FIV and battles UTIs here and there. Snickers and Jazz both have problems with UTIs and we had a battle with coccidia when we got Jazz and he brought it home from the shelter.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How often do you feed your cats? Twice a day, at 5 a.m. and 5 p.m.. Wet or dry? Both - dry in the morning, wet in the evening. Are they satisfied with what they get? No. Jamie would prefer to have just dry.What about treats? He gets four treats every evening. He loves Whiskas Temptations or Dreamies. He also likes Whiskas cat milk. Do they get sick ever/often? Very rarely.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

I can't see the image.
Actually, that would not have affected the outcome but let's try again!

Well, It will not allow me to attach the same picture in the same string again. After you have long forgot about this, it will be a KatKwiz question!
(If I remember it myself.)

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My boys are free fed too, Munchkin gets raw so he gets some every morning plus whenever we're in the kitchen at the same time or when he gives me the "look" (dearest mummy why are you starving me so! I know I only ate a bite and two licks the last three times you've set out my food for me but Oh Im soo hungry and its all your fault). I let the rest nibble at it too because they used to be outside cats and would catch birds and mice and stuff.
They seem pretty happy with their food, they get dry except for the raw and for treats they get feline Greenies which they love! I dont think my boys have ever been sick except for one time Chester had a UTI but that was a long time ago and we're on much better food now, the only problem they have is the occasional hairball.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i feed mine their dry in the morning - about 1 cup split into 5 dishes. then, in the evenings, i feed 1 can + some homemade wet for the 3 wet eaters. there's always both wet [not much] & dry left the next morning - i give the leftovers to the ferals, plus their regular dry, in the mornings.
the ferals also get 3 cans of 9 Lives each night, & they get about 6 cups of dry per day, split into 2 feedings. i'm not sure how many there are, tho.
the inside cats get treats every once in a while. they rarely get sick.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

i keep the cat bowls full with dry food, but becuase 3 of the cats get the runs with wet food i tend too stay away,they get a toy each week and lots of catnip

our 6 are fairly healthy no allergies as such.....
they dont seem too gian wieght but we are attempting too pork misty up a little

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My house cats get food scooped into their bowls twice a day. Usually it's enough that the bowls are only empty for a couple hours at a time. They mainly eat dry, but I am trying to get into the habit of giving more wet, canned or pouched food. In the morning if I try to sleep in I will wake up to a cat-pile...meaning I have up to five cats piled on top of me waiting for me to get out of bed and fill their dishes!
My house cats are not picky at all! They have ate any type of kibble I've put in their bowls! They are somewhat selective on their wet food, but love any gravy. They get treats once in a while, but not too often.
One of my girls likes to bolt her food and will regurgitate it, but the rest rarely vomit.

My barn cats are totally trough fed. They have two big bowls and I never let them get empty. They get 1-3 cans of wet a day. Arctic is my babydoll and has trained my hubby and I well. Arctic will sit at the door and cry until we put out a can of food. The barn cats also get treats quite often. Arctic loves temptations so I'll give him a handful sometimes when he's crying at the door instead of canned food all the time. I think Arctic has become the official spokescat for the other three out there. He does the talking so the others can reap the benefits of yummy soft food!
We have been told by many farmers/ranchers that we feed our barn cats too much and they will never hunt for us. HA! I get fresh kills presented to my door daily in the spring, summer and fall! They may not be hungry enough to eat their kills, but they are still hunting!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As already stated, 24/7. You don't think I'm gonna let you get off with just a one word choice here, do you? They get nothing but dry although Persi is known to beg, every meal. Alley is totally satisfied, but Persi gets cheese when he wants, which is always. Persi gets Pounce after I am done combing him each day, it gives him a reason to want to be combed. Neither of my cats have not only not been sick, but neither has ever had a hair ball!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As already stated, 24/7. You don't think I'm gonna let you get off with just a one word choice here, do you? They get nothing but dry although Persi is known to beg, every meal. Alley is totally satisfied, but Persi gets cheese when he wants, which is always. Persi gets Pounce after I am done combing him each day, it gives him a reason to want to be combed. Neither of my cats have not only not been sick, but neither has ever had a hair ball!
Roly is a begger too! I swear he's our resident piggy! But he is at a healthy weight, so who knows. He just enjoys treats! And he's not too proud to beg, or ashamed to show it! I guess he's not watching his boyish figure like the girls do

I've never noticed the cats with a hair ball either... although I have considered the special formula food since they are long(er) haired. They like to be combed - well brushed, but not as much as Chewbacca, their 100-lb brother!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I do divy up Popsie's one can of wet. Half in the morning and half in the evening. Usually around the same time, if he wants it before then I get told about it.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How often do you feed your cats?
I free feed my cats, but it's through an automatic feeder that my Secret Santa so generously gave me!
It dispenses 3 times a day, 1 1/2 cups.

Wet or dry?
Dry free fed, and about 3 - 4 cans wet split between the 5 of them throughout the day.
Are they satisfied with what they get?
They all are except Tigger. Smudge often wants to bury his wet food - he really doesn't like it much.
What about treats?
I consider wet food a treat!

Do they get sick ever/often?
One of the cats, I think it's Tigger, or maybe Nadette, throws up in the night about once a week, but it's only throwing up - no one has been sick enough to go to the vet for a really long time. (knock on wood)

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have a full bowl of food sitting out but its only refilled once daily and all 3 cats have to eat out of it. They also get 2 small cans of nutro at night, because I think their breakfast should be fed at night because its there morning time!! I have been very carefull with my cats diet, so I think they are normally satisfied with what they're being fed!! So both dry and wet foods are fed, and they have to be the right kinds or UTI will occur!! I dont think the idea of free feeding is all that bad really, I mean, not all creatures are like humans and eat for comfort! I may be a little paranoid when it comes to food though, generally in hard food my 3 cats only get about 1 cup per day, and they dont normally eat it all. Then the total of 5 oz of wet food at night between the 3 of them! If they were to run out, or to still be hungry after the soft food I will give them more, they will tell me too! They'll sit there and meow till I do what they want me too! NO TREATS!! I havn't found a single kind of treat yet that didn't cause terrible UTI! So I just dont think its worth it! My cats are pretty healthy, although just within the last week I almost lost 2 of them to the worst URI I had ever seen! After quality vet time, meds, and sub q fluids though they are now all better!
Eek's immune system maybe a little compromised from being taken away from his mom to soon, because he get sick more often than the others! BooBoo and Jax tend to be the healthier of the bunch. Oh crud, I ramble...