Just a minor rant

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I may have mentioned (
) that I grew up awfully poor. Didn't hurt me any, probably. But I've always kind of lived by my mother's mantra, learned during the Depression and WWII: "Wear it out, make it do, use it up!"

So, a while back, my Mr. Coffee coffeemaker's glass carafe got broken. I've had it for...well, I think about 10 years, since I don't think I've bought a new one while I've lived in this house. I've replaced the carafe before, too. Just went to Wal-Mart and got it off the shelf. Exact replacement.

Well, guess what. That classic low, round carafe is not available any more. So I had to buy another shape, and it didn't work with the filter holder, so I had to replace that, too.

And the dang thing pours water like a dribble glass.

GRRRRRRR!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Maybe this suggestion is a little bit late, but you might be able to find "obsolete" coffee makers/parts on ebay.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry. It is always a pain when you have something you like and you can't find replacement parts. They are always coming up with "bigger and better" models than those of us who like the older models can't find parts we need to keep using them.
Sorry you had to spend extra money to replace the filter as well and now it doesn't work.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you can buy the original piece. Just search the web, find the Mfg. they sell replacement parts. I did that with a food processor. I broke the bowl, and was lucky they were still selling them.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

And the dang thing pours water like a dribble glass.

GRRRRRRR!
yeah, the new ones aren't as good. we call them 'state of the art dribble carafes'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, I've checked the manufacturer's web site and ebay. No luck.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do understand financial concerns, but in my experience, you could replace the whole system used, or buy a new coffee maker for as little money as the replacement carafe's tend to cost...

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Actually, I've checked the manufacturer's web site and ebay. No luck.
Do you know any "thrift store" shoppers?? I have found replacements there - and the price is right and I love the thought of recycling. My problem is finding the time to go (the selections seem to vary by the hour, if not the minute), so I just put the word out to my friends on disability - they love to shop and it gives them an excuse to go one more time. Plus the thrift stores often support great causes.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Too bad I didn't think of that...I went right by the Salvation Army store yesterday.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they do that on purpose to make you buy a whole new coffeemaker! (or whatever it is that you are replacing)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah we had to buy a new coffee pot too. I only drink tea. DH has to have coffee in the morning. Thought it was just us with the problem of the dribbles from the pot - he hates that

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed you live in Texas too, MrBlanch. In the area we live in, there are a lot of flea markets and the like where you can find just about anything if you look hard enough. Do you have any flea markets in the area you're in??

It's worth a shot..

~KK~

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too was going to suggest goodwill as I've seen them there in the past but its also hit or miss. Several yrs ago I borrowed a crock pot to a friend and the glass lid broke -I ended up tossing the thing vs going to goodwill to look for a replacement. Its worth a shot.

Also if you have a store nearby called Tuesday Morning they have some very good named appliances at good prices vs dept store prices.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I noticed you live in Texas too, MrBlanch. In the area we live in, there are a lot of flea markets and the like where you can find just about anything if you look hard enough. Do you have any flea markets in the area you're in??

It's worth a shot..

~KK~
Yeah, Trader's Village, the largest flea market in the world (they claim).

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

I do understand financial concerns, but in my experience, you could replace the whole system used, or buy a new coffee maker for as little money as the replacement carafe's tend to cost...
Unfortunately, that just puts so much stuff in landfill and the replacements rarely last as long as the older appliances.

I had a hand mixer from 1966 that was awesome. I finally could no longer get beaters for it so hubby tried to tinker with the holes in order to fit another type of beater but it didn't work so I had to buy a new one. The new one doesn't have near the power of the older one.

We also bought a new deep fryer and after using it once a week for about 3 months, it just stopped working.

Mike, I hope you can find a pot for your coffee maker at a flea market or Sally Ann's.