Prayers for my Friends Cat It looks like she will not be coming back from the Vets

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is what she wrote,
Today, I had to take my 23 year old cat to the vet. She hasn't looked well since Saturday and she's having problems breathing. The vet feels that she is in so much stress that he put her on oxygen and is going to attempt an xray as soon as she is oxygenated enough. He said he feels that drawing blood right now might even kill her with the stress it would put her in. Poor kitty. He's going to call me as soon as he can get the xray, but I have a feeling it was the last time I would see her.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers and good wishes for your friend and her sweet kitty. Your friend must have taken very good care of this baby to get her to 23. I hope she'll be alright.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
23 years is a long time to be with a beloved kitty.
Sending vibes for her senior kitty and calming thoughts to your friend.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending prayers out to your friend and her cat. At 23years, there will be so many memories, that losing her will be difficult, but she has definitely earned her reward over RB. when my sister's 21yo cat passed, it impacted the entire family - Rebekka was a family icon!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Aunts Cat was 22 when she died. I sure hope to ahve one that gets that age. I never thought Coco would be 16 because she was very sick when she was 9 and they advised me to have her Pts. I met her on a Jenny Craig Website a few months ago. I sure hope she is ok.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More Info on her Cat
Thank you sara and mews of your sympathy for my cat. I have learned that they were able to xray her and they found a lot of fluid in her lungs. He went ahead and drew out as much as she would let him, which was 5oz and a lot for a little 6 lb cat. She has some fluid in her abdomen and he thinks its pointing towards her liver. she's breathing better so I told him to go ahead with a blood draw and scan. We can get a better idea of what's going on with her. He has told me that without knowing what's going on with why her lungs filled up, she could be in the same way in a few days. I have to take my other two cats in tomorrow for their booster shots, so we decided to let her stay overnight and I will talk to him in the morning.
Since she's 23, I feel I might have to make a decision for her comfort and (sad to say) my pocketbook. He's saying I could do an ultra sound for $150 to get a better idea of her liver, but we all know you can't live without a liver and if its damaged, another $150 spent won't help her. I'm sorry if I seem too much into the money, and not about the cat. She's 98 in cat years and even the vet said she looked like she is really on her last life.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your friend will simply bring her kitty home and let her pass naturally, in the company of her family.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I hope your friend will simply bring her kitty home and let her pass naturally, in the company of her family.

23 is a really looong time for a cat to live. She was obviously well cared for and loved. If she needs to be PTS, it's probably for the best at her age.

~KK~

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

More Info on her Cat
Thank you sara and mews of your sympathy for my cat. I have learned that they were able to xray her and they found a lot of fluid in her lungs. He went ahead and drew out as much as she would let him, which was 5oz and a lot for a little 6 lb cat. She has some fluid in her abdomen and he thinks its pointing towards her liver. she's breathing better so I told him to go ahead with a blood draw and scan. We can get a better idea of what's going on with her. He has told me that without knowing what's going on with why her lungs filled up, she could be in the same way in a few days. I have to take my other two cats in tomorrow for their booster shots, so we decided to let her stay overnight and I will talk to him in the morning.
Since she's 23, I feel I might have to make a decision for her comfort and (sad to say) my pocketbook. He's saying I could do an ultra sound for $150 to get a better idea of her liver, but we all know you can't live without a liver and if its damaged, another $150 spent won't help her. I'm sorry if I seem too much into the money, and not about the cat. She's 98 in cat years and even the vet said she looked like she is really on her last life.
Your post gave me chills...what you have described is how my mom just died. I'm so sorry that this has happened. Your friend's cat has lived a long and productive life. Longer than most cats have. I hope that you will be able to find comfort in knowing that she will no longer be suffering.

I can sympathize more than you know and it is heartbreaking all the same.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry about your Mom again. I did not get to the Hospital in time when my Mom died. Frisky died about 2 weeks after my Mom did. I sent my friend some Poems I wrote when my Cats died. I hope taht can help her.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

So sorry about your Mom again. I did not get to the Hospital in time when my Mom died. Frisky died about 2 weeks after my Mom did. I sent my friend some Poems I wrote when my Cats died. I hope taht can help her.
I think she will appreciate that. It's never easy to lose a pet or loved one.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, I want to congratulate your friend on having a 23 year old cat...that's awesome. It's going to be hard, but I think your friend needs to talk with the vet about what's the best thing to do for her cat at this time. And btw, I don't think your friend is too much into money.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
to have a 23 year old cat is incredible - she is obviously one very VERY well looked after kitty!
I agree that this is the time to talk with the vet about what would be best for the cat now. Whatever happens, happens - and I pray for both your friend and her beloved pusscat.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She hasnt posted yet today. The money would not save her. I was offered more blood tests with Yoshi but he was Pts instead. I asked my Vet what she thought and she said not to get the blood tests. Yoshi looked older then Coco and Coco was almost 16 then. Yoshi was 5. I am glad her Cat is 23. I would love to have a Cat get that old.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on the Cat
Thank you all for such beautiful poems and well wishes for me and my cat Minnie Pearl. They truly touched my heart and how nice of you Mews and Becky to take the time and post them for me.

Compared to yesterday, she's doing a lot better. The vet ordered an ultrasound to see if its her heart, liver, gallstones, etc. If its her liver, then I probably need to put her to sleep. If its gallstones, I understand that there's meds that can take care of it. (im not exactly sure I got that correctly, everything was a blur today) If its her heart, then she can be put on diuretitics and live like a normal cat. I can't make a decision until I know what's causing the fluid. The blood scan showed that she was a little dehydrated, but that's because she couldn't eat or drink during the time she couldn't breathe. Her xray also showed air in her abdomen, but both the vet and I think she had been swallowing air in her fight to draw a deep breath.

I saw her today, and although she's breathing a lot better, she looks like she's been run through the mill. But other than that, she's eating and using her sandbox. She's a lot stronger and I could hear her purr as I massaged her shoulders.

So I guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow and see what the ultrasound shows. I'm trying to get prepared for the worst and if there is a chance of her having a good quality of life, and I can afford it, I can't see to put her down. I would have to make sure that she would be comfortable with what help she might need. If she could only go outside, lie down in the sun, and function happily, I would wish that for her, if she, in fact, can get better. If it is not possible, then I must do what is most humane for her.