Muscle pain or something else?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While I was recovering from my heart surgery, I got a cold, and hurt a muscle in my chest (at least that's what I thought I did).

That was at least a month ago, maybe more like 2 months. Even still when I sneeze, my chest hurts in that same spot - it's even worse when I'm lying down. And because I have allergies, I sneeze often...

Given how long it's been, could it be something else causing it? It doesn't hurt any other time, just when I sneeze.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like more than just a muscle, especially after 2 months. I would go to a doctor right away. It could just be your intercostal muscle (the muscles between your ribs) and I hope that's all it is but with it happening so soon after heart surgery you should get it checked out.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have that problem. My arms hurt to when I sneez. I had a ekg to make sure it wasnt heart. It turned out I have Arthitis in my Chest,Arms,Neck and Back. i would go to the dr to make sure though.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go to the doctor sarah! I hope they havent left anything foreign inside to cause the pain.

(sorry i was just reading an article how a person had scissors left in its stomac!)

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See your doctor, it would be the best option for you right now if you are worried. Hope everything goes well!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've pulled/strained muscles in my chest by lifting stuff that was too heavy but the pain would subside after a couple of weeks. I would have a doc check you out.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was something minor, like just a pulled muscle, I would think it wouldn't last as long as it has. I agree that you should probably see your doctor about it.

I hope it's nothing serious!

~KK~

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

While I was recovering from my heart surgery, I got a cold, and hurt a muscle in my chest (at least that's what I thought I did).

That was at least a month ago, maybe more like 2 months. Even still when I sneeze, my chest hurts in that same spot - it's even worse when I'm lying down. And because I have allergies, I sneeze often...

Given how long it's been, could it be something else causing it? It doesn't hurt any other time, just when I sneeze.
Aww sweetie, i'm no doctor, but i think considering you had open heart surgery, you should go and ask your gp about it, just to be safe *hugs*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not too worried since it's only when I sneeze, I just don't know what could cause it. I'll call them tomorrow

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I'm not too worried since it's only when I sneeze, I just don't know what could cause it. I'll call them tomorrow
Good girl

PS: I love your changing signatures. Smudgey has the most beautiful nose! I hope the girls are helping you keep your stress levels down

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Good girl

PS: I love your changing signatures. Smudgey has the most beautiful nose! I hope the girls are helping you keep your stress levels down
Thanks
Smudge is such a funny thing - she makes me laugh every day (generally at her...)

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH had a problem like that. He didn't have heart surgery, but he had sneezing attacks from allergies so bad he actually ripped the muscle between his ribs. It all happened in one day, and he honestly thought he was having a heart attack so he went to the emergency room.

Honey, I would definitely check with the doctor and have them look at you. It could be something isn't healing right or a muscle was damaged. It doesn't really sound serious, as in dealing with your heart (but, just for the record, I'm NOT a doctor, I was an english major)! But, if it only happens when you sneeze, it shouldn't be anything to worry about but you should get it checked out so you don't have problems in the future.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else that said you should see a doctor. A couple of times when I've had colds, I coughed so hard I actually cracked a rib. Maybe this has happened to you, but only a doctor can tell you for sure.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spoke to the doc, and he said if it was a rib, I'd be in more pain, and it would hurt more than just when I sneezed. He thinks it's just cartilage that maybe got damaged during surgery - apparently that can take a while to heal.