concern about older cat behavior

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My older cat died at 14 yrs. now my exsisting 8 YR old is staring to sleep more and play less. She is taking on more of the behaviors of my older passed on kitty. I am worried. She is healthy, but? I just dont know. Should I get a Kitten to perk her up? or is it just that she is older too? I Think the 8 yrs is like mid age? Does 8 yrs mean slow down in cat time?

alyssa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
8 years is a decent age for a cat ... and slowing down and enjoying the good life by taking lots of naps isn't really a bad thing.

I wouldn't worry about it - but I'd heap on the lovings just because. lol.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She may well be mourning the loss of her friend. Talk to her and give her extra attention. This might be the time to adopt an older cat from a shelter.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get another Cat. My Poor Meeko became very upset when I lost Stormy Dec 5th. I had to take her to the Vet to get tests to see if she was ok. Then her Son Yoshi had to be Pts Jan 11. We had got Oreo 2 weeks before Stormy was Pts. Oreo and Meeko have become good friends. Coco and Meeko are very good friends too but Coco in here. Meeko and Sasha are not very close. Meeko did end up very sick too with a high fever taht was almost 105. I think she got it when she went to the Vets for the Blood Tests. I think another Cat will help your Cat alot. It helped Meeko. Coco is 16 but she still plays and gets hyper sometimes.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats do tend to sleep more and be less active as they age.

But I think another contributing factor here is the simple fact that she no longer has another cat to make her want to play. That doesn't mean she has to have a new companion... she'll adjust and be fine given a little time. Also, most older cats don't want to play very much.

But if you do want to get her a companion, I'd try to get another cat who's around her own age. That way they'll be more compatible in terms of interests and energy level.

alyssa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You didn't say if your 14 year old cat just recently passed on ... from your wording, it sounded like to me that it had been a while now since the 14 year old passed away.

Was it recent?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alyssa

You didn't say if your 14 year old cat just recently passed on ... from your wording, it sounded like to me that it had been a while now since the 14 year old passed away.

Was it recent?
Thank you. You are correct. I am wondering at what age does a cat start acting old? I am not that dumb of a a person, I am wondering i what other 8 yr olds act like? I could of worded it better. TY

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well of the cats I have had 8 yr olds are spunky ... my cats seem to slow around 14 yrs ....

Have you had the vet do a senior blood panel??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

well of the cats I have had 8 yr olds are spunky ... my cats seem to slow around 14 yrs ....

Have you had the vet do a senior blood panel??
She had a full check last June. All was OK. Now you have me thinking may be thyroid? I will get her in for a new check. It is just that she used to like to play with all those danggley feathered fun cat toys. now she just watches me play with them and I cant get her intrested in the lazer pointer. She is sleeping more.

Thank you all for your replys. I am hoping that it is just, "her way". Like some one said, "all cats are different". I will make a vet apt and keep an eye on her for the moment. TY again