So hurt and disappointed.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe how I've just been ripped off. I paid a lot of money to make an investment in my future and to try to get an education and I was never going to see those books. Because they didn't show up, the uni asked me to wait a further few days, (which I stupidly did) which voided my "10 days grace" cancellation period - and I was never going to get those "#¤&%&() books ever. I contacted UPS and there never was a package for me - So now that I've found that there were no books, I cancelled this enrollment and told them that if any further payments they try and take from me will result in legal action. I'm not even going to get my original deposit back - which for me was a lot of money! I don't earn much anyway, and I was so happy I'd finally got a direction and I was so ready to get started on that road!
I'm so mad and so hurt right now I don't know what to think.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry! That is terrible!

It sounds like you should probably take some sort of legal action anyway... if they really never even sent the books and you have been charged for them anyway, it's fraud.

File a dispute with your bank/credit card company. I'm in the middle of one right now myself; it's a bit of a hassle but it's def worth it!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you pay this via credit card?? You can dispute the payment with the credit card company.
There must be someone higher up the food chain you can contact??

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it just the Books that was the scam or was it the whole school? You should take legal action against these people! There is probably others they have ripped off too!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

Is it just the Books that was the scam or was it the whole school? You should take legal action against these people! There is probably others they have ripped off too!

contact your local prosecutor's office and see if they can steer you in the right direction. Or call your state bar association and see if they have advice. Round up all your paperwork that you can, including a letter from UPS that they have no record of a package for you in their files. And write at least one letter asking for your refund.
Sending prayers and vibes that you win against those crooks - they need to be stopped!!

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is horrible! Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m so sorry =(. I would do what everyone is suggesting and take some action. Screw them! They cant get away with that!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you paid by credit card, you have 60 days to put a charge in contest.

joyzerelly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone here. if you let them get away with this, not only will you be out of pocket but they'll do it again, to other hopeful students. Do you have some kind of citizens advice bureau there?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree you need to follow up on this. Was it a legitimate university, or an online degree without a university backing it up? Was this paid with a credit card, or by check? If you used a credit card I would contact you CC and tell them there is no record of shipment (get any documention you can from UPS or USPS) and send it to them. If it was a check, I think you need to take legal action.

That money you put down for the books was done in good faith, and that money is important to you, so use whatever means to get that back.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely take action against them! That's SO wrong and sounds like a scam!!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they can't prove that they shipped anything to you, you'd definetely win in court. Don't let them get away with ripping you off. They need to be stopped. It doesn't matter what the amount of money was, it's your money and you deserve to either get what you paid for, or to recieve a refund.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others - they can't just take your money and give you nothing, grace period or not.

I don't understand though - did you enroll in class, or just order books? (I guess I don't know the backstory). You could look for the books used; there are a ton of used textbook sites out there.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm sorry that happened to you. I agree with everyone else on taking legal action.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I'm sorry! That is terrible!

It sounds like you should probably take some sort of legal action anyway... if they really never even sent the books and you have been charged for them anyway, it's fraud.

File a dispute with your bank/credit card company. I'm in the middle of one right now myself; it's a bit of a hassle but it's def worth it!