My apartment is in shambles!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The building I live in a some serious leaking issues, and my apartment bedroom is seriously effected by it! Words can not explain...................caved in ceiling, crater walls, mold, you can imagine the smell! SO they finally started fixing it, for the third time, and now my entire apartment stinks, has a layer of moldy dust all over everything, even with the door shut and covered with a curtain! Its driving me crazy! This has been going on for 5 years! Time to move...........

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Time to get a lawyer!

I can't even imagine! My apartment in college wasn't the greatest (kinda stuck in the 70s but a steal in a college town at $400/month to live by myself), but the landlord was great about getting right on any problems I had and making sure they were really fixed... good luck with everything... is there anyone you could shack up with for a few days just to get out of there? Or make your landlord pay for a kitty-friendly hotel until the problem is resolved!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Time to get a lawyer!

I can't even imagine! My apartment in college wasn't the greatest (kinda stuck in the 70s but a steal in a college town at $400/month to live by myself), but the landlord was great about getting right on any problems I had and making sure they were really fixed... good luck with everything... is there anyone you could shack up with for a few days just to get out of there? Or make your landlord pay for a kitty-friendly hotel until the problem is resolved!
Hah! My landlord is expecting full rent, even though room is unlivable for atleast one month.............He didn't even want to pay the guy who is doing the repairs to paint the entire room, just the area fixed......................which happens to be 40% of the room! The guy doing the repairs is actually doing much more then the previous idiots. One wall is completely knocked out (window wall), about 30% of the ceiling as well, and he is building a new frame around the window...........if he didn't it would cave in probably!
It reaks of mold in here though, that really bothers me!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh!

I'd totally be whipping out my lease and finding a lawyer! Stupid landlords! You should like report him to the health department or something - it can't be ok for you to be staying there during all of this (I wish I knew more about doing that, but I wouldn't even know where to start! Got any friends in law school?) Is this happening in other apartments in the complex too? If so, you might be able to join together and bring some kind of suit on the guy... or at least threaten to if he doesn't meet your demands....

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Oh my gosh!

I'd totally be whipping out my lease and finding a lawyer! Stupid landlords! You should like report him to the health department or something - it can't be ok for you to be staying there during all of this (I wish I knew more about doing that, but I wouldn't even know where to start! Got any friends in law school?) Is this happening in other apartments in the complex too? If so, you might be able to join together and bring some kind of suit on the guy... or at least threaten to if he doesn't meet your demands....
I agree, a lawyer would be my normal route..........but, heres the issue. The lease isn't in my name, it's in my ex boyfriends name. We are close friends, he lives in Brooklyn and I have been living here for 3 years. He has already had a court case, hired a lawyer, years ago because the landlord was trying to get him out. Basically Eric (my ex) doesn't want anything to do with any legal issues again, and since he doesn't live here, these issues aren't as important to him.
I actually have a headache right now and I think its from the stinky, mold smell............................Thank god its nice enough outside to open the rooftop door!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes, that's an issue... you still might be able to present the whole thing to a lawyer and see what they say (there may be a loophole about your ex subletting the place to you or something)... I know down here there are lots of tv commercials about these lawyer who "don't get paid unless you get paid" and will supposedly listen to your case and tell you their take on it for free....

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

The building I live in a some serious leaking issues, and my apartment bedroom is seriously effected by it! Words can not explain...................caved in ceiling, crater walls, mold, you can imagine the smell! SO they finally started fixing it, for the third time, and now my entire apartment stinks, has a layer of moldy dust all over everything, even with the door shut and covered with a curtain! Its driving me crazy! This has been going on for 5 years! Time to move...........
i bet its something simple like a tile on the roof missing!
thats whats happned here, a tile on the roof was knocked off so as repairs they just plasterd over the hole that was caused by the rain coming throgh the hole!
threaten them with legal action and tht should get there butts into gear

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

I agree, a lawyer would be my normal route..........but, heres the issue. The lease isn't in my name, it's in my ex boyfriends name. We are close friends, he lives in Brooklyn and I have been living here for 3 years. He has already had a court case, hired a lawyer, years ago because the landlord was trying to get him out. Basically Eric (my ex) doesn't want anything to do with any legal issues again, and since he doesn't live here, these issues aren't as important to him.
I actually have a headache right now and I think its from the stinky, mold smell............................Thank god its nice enough outside to open the rooftop door!
ohhhh thats not good the pores from the mold can actually cause cancers and things like!
errrrm i dont know how things work in US, but do you have enviromental health?
as they can asses the importance of the issue and move you too a safer place.......?

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the previous post. Breathing in all that mold is very dangerous to your health, especially if there have been mold problems there for a number of years. Please call the health department and ask them to send a building inspector over to your apartment RIGHT NOW!!!!!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pixietina

ohhhh thats not good the pores from the mold can actually cause cancers and things like!
errrrm i dont know how things work in US, but do you have enviromental health?
as they can asses the importance of the issue and move you too a safer place.......?
I know I have to get out of here, I have been experiencing some sinus and bronchial symptoms. I am just having some money issues right now, new job, want to move but working 6 days, 10 hours a day. But its definitely time to move!