Smoke kittens?

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are these two babies smoke? Can a silver tabby and a blue tom produce smoke babies? Now that I think back Olive and sophie's brother was a smoke. I didn't bring him home because he was too wild. Sorry I didn't get better pictures of these guys today. Goldenkitty do you know the colors?
These are the two I was talking about...Green bean I think she is too dark to be a silver tabby

Guava if he is long haired I really want to keep him.
He is basically the same color as Green bean but he has white

This one is some type of tortoiseshell I'm not sure if she is a patched silver tabby or what...Clementine

This one is named Peanut I think she is a brown tabby

And then there is little Pumpkin I think she is a silver patched tabby with white

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

This one is named Peanut I think she is a brown tabby
i wish i could see this one as an adult - would love to see if her 'spectacles' stayed there! she's so cute!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell if it's a smoke unless you brush their fur backward so that you can get a look at the base of the hairs.

From http://www.cfainc.org/articles/hints-color.html

Smoke - Often difficult to tell from solid color kittens except that smokes sometimes have white around the eyes and a paler stomach. May take some months to tell which kittens will be smoke because the full coat color is sometimes not seen until the adult coat comes in at 2 years. Undercoat begins to show at 3 weeks, and by 6-8 weeks have a mottled look.

SMOKE OR SHADED?

* 1/8 of hair length colored at tip - chinchilla and shell
* 1/4 of hair length colored at tip - all shaded
* 1/2 of hair length colored at tip - all smoke
BTW - they're all adorable and I have a fondness for Guava too! Such a cutie! Cant wait to watch them all grow.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I could just snuggle up with Pumpkin and nibble on her little ears...she is soooo cute....well, they are all cute!!

Susan

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll have to get Nial (the Bengal guy) to answer that one. I'm guessing its not a smoke, but a silver tabby. I don't know how the color changes on the silvers from when they are born, but think they are pretty dark, and the silver gets lighter as they get older.

He has silver Bengals - he would know at that age if its a silver.

You can't get smoke from a silver and a blue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really don't think they look like silver tabbies. I just looked up pictures of 2 week old silver tabby babies and found this...They are much lighter than mine

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh and I just found this black smoke mom with silver tabby babies and one smoke baby the little smoke baby is colored just like mine.

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's so hard to say with young kittens. Even the bottom picture, it's hard to say if the one is a smoke for sure. My cat had 8 kittens and 3 of them are smoke. 1 female long hair dilute tortie, 1 short hair black male and 1 female short hair regular tortie. Mama cat is a long haired tortie, but she is not smoked and I don't know who the father/s are.

Tthe kittens are almost three years old now, I can't remember when I first started noticing they were smoked, but it wasn't when they were small.

your kittens are beautiful, I want one, LOL!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If neither parent is a smoke, you cannot have a smoke. One parent has to be smoke to produce it. Only other possibility is that she bred with more then one male and the father of the kitten is a smoke.

I'd wait and see. Its hard to tell with mix breed kittens and not knowing the genetics and background of the parents as to what they are carrying.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess if they are smokes that means the daddy was a blue smoke which can look like a blue. These babies definatly look like smokes to me I don't know what else they could be. They don't look like silver tabbies at all.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When one parent is a smoke, you usually have a dominate amount of the kittens being smoked. The other kittens don't seem to have that "smoky" look to them, so I think the one in question may have a differnent father.

But its a good idea to be taking pictures often so you can document age/color as they grow and can do comparisons later. Be sure to date the pictures with their ages

I wish we could have done a better job with the color changes that Ling went thru! Maybe someone could really explain it to me as to how a blue tabby/white can change to a pointed (seal and blue points) to a black/white cat as an adult.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Right now I think all but two are smoke. There is one smoke, one smoke with white, one torti smoke, one brown tabby, and one silver patched tabby with white. I think these colors are right but of course I could be wrong on the smokes. Not sure where the brown tabby came from. lol

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

When one parent is a smoke, you usually have a dominate amount of the kittens being smoked. The other kittens don't seem to have that "smoky" look to them, so I think the one in question may have a differnent father.

But its a good idea to be taking pictures often so you can document age/color as they grow and can do comparisons later. Be sure to date the pictures with their ages

I wish we could have done a better job with the color changes that Ling went thru! Maybe someone could really explain it to me as to how a blue tabby/white can change to a pointed (seal and blue points) to a black/white cat as an adult.
or the difference in Hennessey!

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If neither parent is a smoke, you cannot have a smoke. One parent has to be smoke to produce it. Only other possibility is that she bred with more then one male and the father of the kitten is a smoke.

I'd wait and see. Its hard to tell with mix breed kittens and not knowing the genetics and background of the parents as to what they are carrying.
I don't know about anything about colors in other breeds but in bengals, one parent has to be silver, but not nessicerily smoke, to have smoke babies. Smoke is a combo between a silver and melanistic (non-agoti gene) the melanistic can be carried recessively.
In bengals, if a kitten is a smoke, even the white on the face is smoked over.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You'll have to get Nial (the Bengal guy) to answer that one. I'm guessing its not a smoke, but a silver tabby. I don't know how the color changes on the silvers from when they are born, but think they are pretty dark, and the silver gets lighter as they get older.

He has silver Bengals - he would know at that age if its a silver.

You can't get smoke from a silver and a blue.
In bengals, a smoke is a silver. It's a silver that is also melanistic. The kitten in the first picture looks like a silver smoke to me.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since golden kitty asked for pics from the top in another thread http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164708 That thread has alot more pictures of the babies
I'll post the pics from the top here
Patched tabby/calico (Pumpkin)

Smoke? (Green bean)

Smoke? (Guava)

Tortoiseshell smoke? (Clementine)

And just for fun Peanut the brown tabby

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin is a dark brown patched tabby. Not sure on the other two yet. If they are true smokes, the base color will be WHITE - not grey or greyish color. Many blacks (especially in longhair kittens) have "fever" coats where they appear a smoke but its kitten coat and when they get the adult coat, its black as should be.

That might be the case with your tortie and the other one that is black/white.