What do you mean you don't eat meat? That's....

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
okay, I'll make you lamb!

Remember that line from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding?" It reminds me of our Passover seder this past Sat. night.

At the last minute, I invited my friend from the health club to come because her husband was out of town. She asked what to bring and I said a salad.

My friend, AM, arrives with flowers and a beautiful salad. I have spent 2 days making a wonderful dinner. We start with reading the Passover story while eating some ritual foods including Haroset, which is a mixture of fruit, nuts and sweet wine. I pride myself on my Harosets. I made just 4 this year: Yemenite, Morrocan, New England style and Haroset a la Romana. Everyone loves them.

I bring them to the table. AM says that she is allergic to walnuts. I almost die. All but one of the harosets have walnuts. The Romana one is made with bananas and almonds and is one of our daughter's favorites. I asked her to pass it over to AM. She did so with such a sad look on her face.

At dinner, AM loved my matzoh ball soup. We loved her salad. We knew our son only wanted hot dogs. So, I bring out the lamb, the veggies, and hot dogs for Ben. A beautiful platter of roast leg of lamb. A delicious, marinated in mustard and rosemary, leg of lamb. I put it on the table and AM says, "I don't eat lamb."

After I picked up my jaw from the floor, I tried to think of what else to serve and AM says that it is okay, she will have hot dogs, too. So I end up serving my guest hot dogs. At least they were Hebrew National.

The only thing I pride myself more on than the harosets are my flourless desserts. So I brought out my Chocolate Silk pie, meringue "mushrooms," a Syrian apricot and pistachio dessert and matzohs covered with chocolate, apricots and pistachios to match the other dessert. AM takes one look at the pie and says that it looks wonderful and is the crust made of graham crackers (they are not Kosher for Passover) and I said no that the crust was made of pecans and...walnuts. Oy vey! Well, at least she loved the other desserts.

The Passover seder calls for you to drink 4 cups of wine. We usually just top off what is in our glasses. This Passover, I drank all four glasses!

I have an apron that says on it, "Why is this night different from all others (a question we ask every Passover)? Don't ask!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lamb must be an acquired taste because it's something I never really got into eating. The desserts you made sound delicious.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wont eat lamb but hot dogs are fine!
hahaha, its just such a funny thought, just think of what is in hot dogs!
Everything you served sounds amazing, you can invite me next year

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

I wont eat lamb but hot dogs are fine!
hahaha, its just such a funny thought, just think of what is in hot dogs!
Everything you served sounds amazing, you can invite me next year
For you, I'll make Orange Chicken with Golden Raisins and Figs. Please tell me that you are not allergic to figs because then you can't eat any of my harosets because all of them have figs.

Also, I will make you my Mango haroset and Almond Torte with Mango Coulis. If you really want the hot dogs, I will prepare them whatever way you want - boiled, nuked or grilled. With the condiments on the side!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I love love love my meat, but won't eat veal or lamb just because I've seen upclose how those poor things are treated to get the meat the way it is... but let that cow grow up and I'm game! haha

So, I also would've eaten the hot dogs

I have hard enough time not eating meat on Fridays during lent, I don't think I'd make it through passover with not eating bread! (I know there are alternatives lol) Most of my diet is bread based carbs, I might die! jk jk

I've never attended a sedar, but would like to if I'm lucky enough one day... I like learning about other religions

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never eaten lamb but I would have at least tried it! I will try anything as long as there isn't any mushrooms or cabbage... I am mildly allergic to them. I won't die but I will be in a world of hurt... LOL

And I love, love, love walnuts, almonds and pecans

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Rosemary!!! I eat lamb, no problem!!! No wonder you said in your PM that you were in full-on cooking mode! Not next year in Jerusalem, but next year in San Francisco!!!

What time is dinner!!!??? I'll book the flight right now!!

We also had roast leg of lamb. I made a wet rub with olive oil, dijon mustard, garlic, rosemary, oregano, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. It was already boned - so rubbed the paste inside, tied it back up, rub the remainder on the outside and then cover it with Panko (Japanese bread crumbs) and drizzled a little more oil in it. BOY was that good! I also made herbed, oven roasted potatoes...

We had a vegan guest but he's been coming to our Seders for four years
(undergrad at U of Michigan) so I made him homemadeThai peanut sauce with sauteed veggies and soba (buckwheat) noodles. And bought a mixed box of really good vegan pastries for him from a local bakery that specializes in gluten free, vegan, all natural, etc.

We bought dessert from a local cateress whose stuff is really, really good. I sometimes take classes there.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Oh, Rosemary!!! I eat lamb, no problem!!! No wonder you said in your PM that you were in full-on cooking mode! Not next year in Jerusalem, but next year in San Francisco!!!

What time is dinner!!!??? I'll book the flight right now!!

We also had roast leg of lamb. I made a wet rub with olive oil, dijon mustard, garlic, rosemary, oregano, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. It was already boned - so rubbed the paste inside, tied it back up, rub the remainder on the outside and then cover it with Panko (Japanese bread crumbs) and drizzled a little more oil in it. BOY was that good! I also made herbed, oven roasted potatoes...

We had a vegan guest but he's been coming to our Seders for four years
(undergrad at U of Michigan) so I made him homemadeThai peanut sauce with sauteed veggies and soba (buckwheat) noodles. And bought a mixed box of really good vegan pastries for him from a local bakery that specializes in gluten free, vegan, all natural, etc.

We bought dessert from a local cateress whose stuff is really, really good. I sometimes take classes there.
So even though I'm not into lamb, that rub/dressing sounds really really good! I'm like drooling! I might've "forgotten" my stance on lamb at your seder for just a taste! Wonder if it would work on other meat....

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bet she will be the last person you ever invite to dinner again! I know someone like that wouldn't get a second invite. I enjoy cooking but I'm not going to knock myself out trying to accommodate someone's likes and dislikes. The walnuts I can see if it's an allergy. But for her to come to dinner and not ask what is being served and then tell you she doesn't like what you are serving is just plain rude!!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So, where do you get that lamb from?
Yum.

Next time, invite me, I will eat whats in front of me!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I
lamb.

The best part of Passover for a non-Jew? Buying lamb in bulk because it's on sale.

Not that I'm attempting to take advantage of a wonderful holiday tradition. It's just nice and all.

Your meal sounded wonderful! Will you invite me next year? I'll bring the wine.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds like a fabulous meal! I would definitely eat up everything! And I'm really on board with drinking 4 glasses of wine.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I celebrate passover with you next time? Those dishes sound absolutely YUM!
I admit, I'm not a fan of lamb either - it always reminds me of woolly socks (and my MIL thinks I don't notice when she tries to sneak it into a lasagne) - but everything else on that menu sounded like a real mouth-watering moment!!
I'm not Jewish either.... but I could convert for the sake of eating your food!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

Can I celebrate passover with you next time? Those dishes sound absolutely YUM!
I admit, I'm not a fan of lamb either - it always reminds me of woolly socks (and my MIL thinks I don't notice when she tries to sneak it into a lasagne) - but everything else on that menu sounded like a real mouth-watering moment!!
I'm not Jewish either.... but I could convert for the sake of eating your food!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everything about your dinner sounds divine - except the lamb. I used to have a pet lamb and I can't get past his beautiful little face in order to eat lamb. And he followed me everywhere I went like a little dog. Aw, sweet little Snowflake is over the rainbow bridge waiting to play with me again.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your harosets sound so wonderful! And lucky for me, I'm not allergic to walnuts. Maybe I should try making one of those recipes sometime.

I can imagine that you must have felt your amazing culinary efforts were going unappreciated... and it does sound like AM could have been more graceful in how she stated things.

May I ask -- how do you wish she had handled it? Would you have liked her to...

a. Tell you beforehand about her allergies and so forth, so you could fix something separate for her?

b. Ask you privately about the ingredients, so she could be sure not to accidentally eat something with walnuts in it?

c. Not mention anything about it, and just push the food around on her plate to make it look like she was eating some of everything?

d. Decline the invitation altogether?

I'm asking very sincerely, because this is a problem I have, too. I'm a vegetarian, and I have some allergies, and the range of things I can eat is very narrow.

But the last thing in the world I want is for someone to fix me anything special -- I'd be so embarrassed! My own preference would be to have a little of whatever there is that I can eat, and hope that nobody makes an issue of it.

I hate to just turn down the invitation, because it's primarily about the people, not the food, y'know? But maybe that's the right thing to do.

I'd really love to have some guidance on this issue. What's best for you as a hostess? What do you wish AM had done?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I'm asking very sincerely, because this is a problem I have, too. I'm a vegetarian, and I have some allergies, and the range of things I can eat is very narrow.

I'd really love to have some guidance on this issue. What's best for you as a hostess? What do you wish AM had done?
great questions! i also have some [read many] food allergies. i usually decline to eat something if i'm not certain of the ingredients. [think potluck dinners, etc.]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Your harosets sound so wonderful! And lucky for me, I'm not allergic to walnuts. Maybe I should try making one of those recipes sometime.

I can imagine that you must have felt your amazing culinary efforts were going unappreciated... and it does sound like AM could have been more graceful in how she stated things.

May I ask -- how do you wish she had handled it? Would you have liked her to...

a. Tell you beforehand about her allergies and so forth, so you could fix something separate for her?

b. Ask you privately about the ingredients, so she could be sure not to accidentally eat something with walnuts in it?

c. Not mention anything about it, and just push the food around on her plate to make it look like she was eating some of everything?

d. Decline the invitation altogether?

But the last thing in the world I want is for someone to fix me anything special -- I'd be so embarrassed! My own preference would be to have a little of whatever there is that I can eat, and hope that nobody makes an issue of it.

I hate to just turn down the invitation, because it's primarily about the people, not the food, y'know? But maybe that's the right thing to do.

Thanks to all who replied and you can all come to our seder next year. Just bring the wine!

I liked your question about what I should have asked or what I expected AM to tell me.

First of all, tell me about your allergies. If I had known that AM was allergic to walnuts, I would have doubled the recipe for the haroset with almonds. I would have made my almond torte, or made the crust of that pie with just pecans.

As for the dinner itself:

- First, if you are a veggie or vegan, I usually have something that you can eat because I make lots of veggie dishes. You would not go hungry. Trust me.

- As a hostess, I am only too happy to prepare something special for you if you tell me first. I would have made another entree that was veggie, fish, or chicken (which AM eats). I would make sure that I did not single her out by saying something stupid or rude like I only made it for her. That is not being a good hostess.
But as a hostess, I was not pleased. I was mortified that I had to serve AM hot dogs. I was frustrated, because if I had known, I would have made an even better, fresher dinner.

Lastly, I was raised to be polite when eating dinner at someone else's house. I had to try everything and not make a face or say anything bad. If I did not like something, I should at least look like I was eating it. It was okay not to make clean plate at a guest's table. An "I am full" would do. If I had said what AM said when I was a child, my father, the picky eater that he was, would yell me that I had to finish everything right now. My Mom, on the other hand, would give me a look that meant that I was really in trouble for longer than this dinner.

Anyway, AM is a kind person but as one of our mutual friends put it, she is not good at picking up on social cues.

Would I invite her next year? You betcha, she is funny. Would I discuss the menu in detail before? You betcha!

Sorry it took so long to reply. Please look at my "commit to get fit2" post.