Diva Cup (men may wish to stay away!)

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, so after hearing about it (on here I think), I decided to buy one just recently. For those who haven't heard of it, it's a silicon cup that you use rather than pads and tampons. You just need one, and you use it for the entire period (just wash it out regularly). The website is here.

These are the benefits - holds a LOT more than a pad/tampon, is environmentally friendly (cuts down on huge amounts of landfill), it's supposed to be very clean, and you don't need to buy "supplies" regularly, or worry about going out and not having anything with you. It comes with a little bag, so once your period is finished, give it a good clean, put it back in its back, and keep it in your purse.

Has anyone else tried it out? Is it all it's cracked up to be? Have you had any "accidents"? Do you think it's worth it?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never tried it either, but I would like to hear what people think of it. I also worry about accidents with that! I couldn't imagine how embarrassing that would be! It would be a great way of helping the environment and I'm all for that!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not heeding the warning on the thread I clicked on it thinking it was something else. I'll back away now.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Not heeding the warning on the thread I clicked on it thinking it was something else. I'll back away now.
Hahaha
You were warned!

I'm definitely intrigued! Not that I'm uncomfortable using tampons, but I do go through A LOT of them (I actually buy in bulk from BJs haha - at least my mom's menopausal now so we're at half the usage we were lol)... I would like to hear from anyone on here that's used it though (I know there are testimonials on the site, but you know how they only post the ultra positive ones - plus, I trust us!) - it is a bit expensive... I can definitely see how it would quickly pay for itself, but would definitely want to make sure it's worth it - not like it's something you can return!

Plus, it'd be so much easier to carry that in a purse rather than a crazy stock of tampons haha

I am a little like "ewww weird" but am sure I'd get over that... I guess it's just the cleaning it out that's kind of a con... shall mull this over in my head though

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of those before. They sound kind of gross to me. I might consider one. Being on the Depo shot for BC I haven't had a period in like four years. I just got off the shot though, switching to the pills. So my monthly friend will eventually return and not having to mess with tampons all these years was nice.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it will be good. I do not use Tampons. I have bad reactions to them. My Period comes every 19-20 Days now and is very Painful and heavy.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was very intrigued by these, but just about the time they hit the market, I had a hysterectomy due to fibroids, so no longer need 'em. Am still curious though!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think that inserting and extracting would be really messy.

I tried those ob tampons, the kind without an applicator. Yuck! I would think that these things are along those same lines by way of messiness to use.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I would think that inserting and extracting would be really messy.

I tried those ob tampons, the kind without an applicator. Yuck! I would think that these things are along those same lines by way of messiness to use.
That's the thing I'm curious about.... would totally love to hear about this part if anyone has used one!

I would think, if you were to remove it over the toilet (much like a tampon) most of it could be dumped right into the bowl... ?? maybe ?? Still kind of messy sounding though (and messy is why I prefer tampons over pads lol)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

They mostly have non-applicator tampons in Australia - it was exciting to come here and discover it could be so much less messy...

Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

That's the thing I'm curious about.... would totally love to hear about this part if anyone has used one!

I would think, if you were to remove it over the toilet (much like a tampon) most of it could be dumped right into the bowl... ?? maybe ?? Still kind of messy sounding though (and messy is why I prefer tampons over pads lol)
That's what I'm most grossed about, so it will be very interesting to see what happens.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to try the disposable kind of those. On the pill my cycle is super light, and they recommend you wear a panty liner at least for the first while you use them.

One of the benefits on the site states that you can have sex while using one. I don't believe them, and certainly won't be finding out

I just don't want to have to wash it out in a public restroom. I'm nervous enough about people hearing the wrapper on a tampon.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm guessing this is the brainchild of the same type of people who want to outlaw toilet paper....

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

One of the benefits on the site states that you can have sex while using one. I don't believe them, and certainly won't be finding out
I looked around on the link that was posted a little and it does suggest removing it before intercourse... where did you see that is says sex is ok while using? I just don't see how that's possible if it sits in the same spot as a tampon!!

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I want too add WASH THIS EVERY HOUR OR SO!
i know with tampons you can get toxic shock syndrome!
i cant believe how silly these are!
maybe im missing something but TSS can kill if ignored!
i wouldnt risk it!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

I looked around on the link that was posted a little and it does suggest removing it before intercourse... where did you see that is says sex is ok while using? I just don't see how that's possible if it sits in the same spot as a tampon!!
Oh sorry; that's the disposable kind I want to try, not these. They're shaped and placed quite differently. http://softcup.com/product/frequentl...stions.php#a19

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pixietina

I want too add WASH THIS EVERY HOUR OR SO!
i know with tampons you can get toxic shock syndrome!
i cant believe how silly these are!
maybe im missing something but TSS can kill if ignored!
i wouldnt risk it!
There has never been a case of TSS associated with anything (menstrual-product-wise) but tampons. It is caused by a bacterial infection, and the bacteria thrive in the sort of environment that tampons create.

Not silicone, rubber, or latex.

Aside from that, there are fewer than 10 cases per year. In the early 80s there were nearly 900 a year.

bad_kitty2001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, this thing sounds kinda weird. I understand that you keep it and reuse it which is a plus when I have to continually buy tampons. At least I go to costco and get it in bulk so I buy like 100 at a time.

Another thought is, what if this thing is full and you are at the mall or in a restaurant and need to wash it out? What are you going to do...? Take it to a public restroom and give it a good rinse?

I don't think I will ever be buying this and will stick to tampons.