Swiffer WetJet and hardwood cleaner

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone was so helpful when I started a thread asking if hardwood floors would be a problem with cats that I'm going to try again.

I've had the hardwood installed. It's oak with a polyurethane/aluminum oxide finish. A couple of years ago I started using a Swiffer WetJet to clean tile floors and love it. It is so easy and being the basically lazy person I am, being easy makes me clean more often.

My question is, does anyone use the Swiffer WetJet with the Swiffer hardwood cleaner on a poly/alum oxide finished floor? The alum oxide part probably doesn't matter but the polyurethane part does. I've heard that some cleaners will dullen the floor but the people who say that seem to usually not know what kind of finish their floor has and so may not be using an appropriate cleaner. Swiffer says their hardwood cleaner can be used on poly finished floors but I'd love to hear if anyone has actually used it on that type finish.

Thanks in advance!

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

i don't have hardwood floors, but read the label on the wetjet. Someone told me it is not safe for use around animals?
This is something that was going around that is a farce. Just look it up on snopes.com .

As for the hard wood floors, we have them upstairs and I use the wood cleaner for swiffer wet jet. Now, ours is a floating hardwood so not the same as you have. Wish I could help. It works great on our floors though.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
as a worry wort ... I would suggest a steam cleaner

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have laminate, i dont wash my floors i just use a vaccum cleaner or dry swiffer to go around the house and when my mum comes here she does the washing. Im too scared to ruin it. and if she does i can blame her

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

This is something that was going around that is a farce. Just look it up on snopes.com .

As for the hard wood floors, we have them upstairs and I use the wood cleaner for swiffer wet jet. Now, ours is a floating hardwood so not the same as you have. Wish I could help. It works great on our floors though.
Mine is a floating floor also. Does yours have a polyurethane finish? If so, I guess you haven't had any problems with the cleaner affecting the look of the floor? How long have you been using it?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

as a worry wort ... I would suggest a steam cleaner
I've read of using a steam cleaner on hardwood floors but I haven't read enough to convince me that it would be OK to use on my polyurethane finished floors. I'll keep looking into it though. Thanks for the suggestion.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Mine is a floating floor also. Does yours have a polyurethane finish? If so, I guess you haven't had any problems with the cleaner affecting the look of the floor? How long have you been using it?
Oh well, I guess we do have the same flooring then. Ok, DH is not around so I can't ask him if ours has the plyurethan finish on it or not. I know, I should know. I will let you know when I find out for sure. We have been in this house for 4 years and I have been using the swiffer cleaner for as long as we have been here and it is great. There is no dulling that has occurred it has been wonderful.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the floor realy 3/4" solid word or the super thin laminated wood flooring??

In out kitchen/foyer/living room we have solid maple tongue and groove flooring. I clean with vinegar/oil soap mix and a very wrung out mop. This is oil based poly urethane (like a gym floor). The installer told use to make sure the mop is wrung out pretty dry.

Hope this helps.

anmccleod

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i use a swiffer wet jet on my hardwoods, have been doing so for about 5 months.
Before that I used a sponge mop, water, and a drop of murphys oil soap.
The swiffer wet jet seems to work a whole lot better!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anmccleod

i use a swiffer wet jet on my hardwoods, have been doing so for about 5 months.
Before that I used a sponge mop, water, and a drop of murphys oil soap.
The swiffer wet jet seems to work a whole lot better!
And you use their "hardwood cleaner" or just their all purpose cleaner? Does your floor have a polyurethane finish or a wax finish?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

I don't have wood floors but I love my swiffer wetjet! I got the sweeper vac too and LOOOOOVE that even more!
Yeah, I got the Swiffer Vac for "sweeping" the hardwood. It's great! I especially like that it's cordless. Sooo easy to use! I do wish the collection cup was bigger though...

I'm thinking about adding my own cleaning solution of choice to an old, empty WetJet cleaner bottle. I think I can cut a hole in the bottom (the top when it's installed in the WetJet, fill with my solution and close the hole with a cork. That way I could use the floor manufactures cleaner, a water and vinegar solution or just water.

Ah, decisions, decisions...

Thanks for all the input everyone!