Apartment Hunting (bit of a rant)

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All I have to say is
I thought I'd be much less stressed getting out of our lease and this dump. (For those of you who remember our apartment flooded with raw sewage last week.) Well because I got so sick and we have begun to see traces of mold we are out of here. But I forgot how much of a hassle it is trying to find a new place especially since we have now 10 days to be out. Our budget is now very limited since we won't be taking our current roommate to the new place, and my bf and I have very different views on which is the best place. In my mind right now is not the time to be too choosy, yet he doesn't want to get locked into another 12 month lease mostly because we are having some problems (long story). In my mind at this point I really don't care we need a place ASAP. It's not looking like this post has a point but I just needed to rant a bit and get it all off my chest.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like the landlord may owe you bigtime -- moving expenses, at the very least.

And I know it's overwhelming when you have so much to do in such a short time. May I suggest... if you can make a detailed list of everything you have to do, figure out the order in which it needs to happen, and put in some deadlines, that may help you feel a little less scattered. At least you'll be able to see where you stand... and it can also help a lot just to have it all written down, so you don't feel like you have to try to hold it in your head.

Is there a "suite" hotel in your town? One of those where you can rent a room with a small kitchen on a weekly or monthly basis? They're usually not the nicest places in the world, but they can be a great short-term solution while you figure out something for the long term.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could look for a sublet that won't last a whole lot longer (like through summer or something).

If your bf isn't completely sure that the two of you should sign a year's lease together... don't do it. At least not until he is sure. I ended up living with my ex bf for 6 months after we broke up because of this. It is. Not. Fun.

I'm sure all that's doing is adding stress on top of stress

I hope you find shelter soon.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending prayers and vibes that you find another place soon Will your current landlord offer to help you find another place?? Seems like he'd owe you something for helping you evacuate the premises. Have you checked into your state's landlord/tenant laws? Your county's environmental health dept. may have some suggestions, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Sending prayers and vibes that you find another place soon Will your current landlord offer to help you find another place?? Seems like he'd owe you something for helping you evacuate the premises. Have you checked into your state's landlord/tenant laws? Your county's environmental health dept. may have some suggestions, too.
The way we were able to break the lease is because of the tenants rights but unfortunately I didn't read anything about the landlords being liable to help us get into another place. I think we found one that is really nice and within our price range but the pet deposit is outrageous $350. The other factor is the fact that all the cities around here do background checks and mine isn't exactly squeaky clean. I'm trying to get off the program I'm on early but I have no idea how long that'll take.