fish oil and CRF

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I give Popsie fish oil to help with his coat. Do I need to stop now that he has CRF?

ruthiesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Only your vet can answer that question for you. Ruth's vet just put her on fish oil as part of her treatment for struvite crystals for better urinary tract health.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ASK the vet .. but personal experience with CRF and fish oil ... fish oil does in fact benifit coat

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Sometimes I give Popsie fish oil to help with his coat. Do I need to stop now that he has CRF?
Only your vet can answer that question for you
Yes, and, well, NO.

Many people who are caring for CRF kitties do use salmon oil as a supplement.

There will be many questions like this which will come up for you, and there are groups of people who "meet" to share questions and answers like this one. The groups have some very experienced CRF caregivers and people like yourself who are just starting out on this journey. They "meet" 24/7/365 in an online group you can find here.

Being part of that group won't take you away from here...it will give you access to a world of knowledge and practical experience that only comes from day-to-day dealing firsthand with these kitties.

Many people in the group frequently comment on the fact that together, their accumulated knowledge and experience far outstrips that of many of their Veterinarians.

You might want to consider joining up...you could do that and just read the back-and-forth postings until you get the "hang" of it, then post if/when you feel comfortable. You'll be well-welcomed there!

(On a side note, I believe that you were concerned about a high calcium value in Popsie's bloodwork - in an earlier post. I came across something that I think you might want to share with your Vet. I do have to dig it out & will post it back in that other thread.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

Yes, and, well, NO.

Many people who are caring for CRF kitties do use salmon oil as a supplement.

There will be many questions like this which will come up for you, and there are groups of people who "meet" to share questions and answers like this one. The groups have some very experienced CRF caregivers and people like yourself who are just starting out on this journey. They "meet" 24/7/365 in an online group you can find here.

Being part of that group won't take you away from here...it will give you access to a world of knowledge and practical experience that only comes from day-to-day dealing firsthand with these kitties.

Many people in the group frequently comment on the fact that together, their accumulated knowledge and experience far outstrips that of many of their Veterinarians.

You might want to consider joining up...you could do that and just read the back-and-forth postings until you get the "hang" of it, then post if/when you feel comfortable. You'll be well-welcomed there!

(On a side note, I believe that you were concerned about a high calcium value in Popsie's bloodwork - in an earlier post. I came across something that I think you might want to share with your Vet. I do have to dig it out & will post it back in that other thread.)
Thank you for that link. I just joined. It's nice to have other people to talk to this about. Popsie's CRF isn't bad but I know one day it will be. It's just a matter of time.