TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is having kittensright now and the first one is breach what do i do

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may have to gently pull the kitten out. Do it quickly, because once they are out of their sack, they will try to breathe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandra13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she's been pushing for about two minutes and only the tail and paws are out should i help her some how

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breech kittens happen approximately 40% of the time. It is harder for them to birth them especially if it is the first kitten, but she most likely will have it herself fine. You could try using vaseline to help her a little (though I have never done this myself... came close once but she had it at the last minute!)

If she seems to be having hard contractions for more than an hour, then your vet should be contacted.

I'll be keeping an eye on the thread. Please keep us posted!

And good luck!!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't worry too much yet, if the cat is still in its sack.

Here's a video:

The first kitten is born breech.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt pull... you dont want to break it's leg. Give her some time, if he's partially out already, I bet he'll be out soon. It's a little harder on mom, but like I said, it's pretty common.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do nothing. Many kittens are born breach. Only if mom is struggling or seems to have too much pain would you take to emergency. About 1/2 my rex kittens were born breach and no problems occurred.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just letting you know we're still here. How's Little Kitty doing now? I realize you're busy
Glad the moment has come, and hope everything is ok!

sandra13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
baby 1 came out black/ dark looking.
baby 2 came out blackand white but the placenta is still inside my cat and the kitten is still attached what do i do? I had to clean both of the kittens faces because my cat isnt doing it what can i do. She tried to have babies on my lapbut i out her on the couch.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's not too tired, she will birth the placenta. Especially if there are still more kittens. If this is the last one, it is likely to be awhile.

My last foster went nearly an hour with the placenta unbirthed and I eventually had to do it for her.

To do this: GENTLY tug on the cord until it is out. I stress - do this GENTLY as you dont want it to rip or cause a the kitten to bleed into it's cord.

I hold onto the cord in two places, one on the kitten side and tug on the mom's side, this way I am sure there is no pressure on the kittens tummy.

After it is born, either cut the cord yourself, or show it to the mom and see if she'll take care of it herself.

And Congrats on the two new kitties! Cant wait to see pics

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't worry about it too much right now. Just keep watching her. Also, try not to interfere too much with the kittens; the "cleaning" mom gives them is part of the bonding process.

sandra13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
baby number 3 is breach
i guess i get worried too much lol

and baby number 3 is black and white

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's right, you should let the mom clean the membrane herself, although, if she doesnt do it in timely manner you should assist. A kitten can only breathe a short time in the membrane. I know she is young, if she doesnt seem to be doing it, perhaps you can wipe the membrane off it's face then coax her to clean the rest herself. She should get the hang of it!

How're things going now??? Do you think there are more in there?

sandra13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shes not cleaning them right away she only starts cleaning them when i get the sack off their face and they start breathing. Why? Is it natural?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sandra13

Shes not cleaning them right away she only starts cleaning them when i get the sack off their face and they start breathing. Why? Is it natural?
It is natural for the mom to clean them herself... but since she is so young, perhaps she doesnt think they are alive until after you get them breathing. Good that you are there for her then!

Congrats on the three wee ones so far! Hope the remainder goes smoothly!

sandra13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she has no intrest until i clean their faces off and i put them under her nose.
Shes doing great. She barely meows when shes pushing and shes just purring.
Shes eating placenta Num. 3. Yeah, I think theres moreican feel them. I cant Believeshe tried too have babies on my lap.
Im so proud

sandra13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

She must really trust you! Congratulations.
i think she didnt know what was going on she tried to dig her face into mine,i think she was scared