Is it just a guy thing?

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or do any females also feel that curtains and drapes being sold in single panel packages is really stupid! I can understand having single panels available, in case only one has to be replaced (even though, after a few weeks, the new and old probably wouldn't match)

But single panels only? It gets especially aggravating when you finally find one you like, and it's the only one!! So, you hunt around and find one not as good, but it will be ok; and it's also the only one.

Thats when you come home and put your clawed all to dickens curtains in the wash to put back up and say to heck with it, if anyone mentions it I'll just throw them out of my house

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel your frustration
, and I'd be frustrated too, but my frustration would be no different if they packaged them in assorted multiples and didn't have the combination of packages I happened to need. At least with only singles, you can get your exact number, as long as they have enough stock.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol, I completely agree with you. I think they do that because if you saw a pair of curtains for $60 you'd laugh (or cry) and find something else. Instead if you see one curtain for $30 you think oh I can handle that!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO its stupid - curtains come in pairs - not single. Even if its a single window - you need 2 pieces. Must be a guy who came up with the stupid idea of 1 curtain!

Sorta like ONE pillowcase in a package!

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Curtains and drapes are different??? I didn't even know they still sold those things!! I'm so used to horizontal and vertical blinds!!...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

Curtains and drapes are different??? I didn't even know they still sold those things!! I'm so used to horizontal and vertical blinds!!...
Your pets don't destroy blinds when they hear something outside? I gave up on them over twenty years ago! I did away with drapes, too (dust catchers), and I'm now wondering if I should just forget about sheer curtains, as all of ours have snags from kitty claws, and we have outside, roll-down shutters we can use at night. The kitty snot marks block the view inside, anyway. I could clean our kitchen and LR windows every day!

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Your pets don't destroy blinds when they hear something outside? I gave up on them over twenty years ago! I did away with drapes, too (dust catchers), and I'm now wondering if I should just forget about sheer curtains, as all of ours have snags from kitty claws, and we have outside, roll-down shutters we can use at night. The kitty snot marks block the view inside, anyway. I could clean our kitchen and LR windows every day!
I leave them open enough so he can peer outside. He's too old to destroy them!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats have been pretty good on the window blinds. Only one room has curtains and made them so I would make more if they destroyed them.

I do have a couple rooms with swag type valances and they have been spared too.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my last apartment, I had metal miniblinds -- and when Pearl came home with me, only five months old, she immediately chewed holes in the ends of the lower slats of those blinds!
I couldn't believe it!

So I pulled the blinds up high out of her way and hung drapes. She responded by leaping up, sinking her claws into the fabric, and clambering to the top, where she perched triumphantly on the curtain rod.

Next step is half-inch plywood over all the windows...

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meh, I use shower curtains.

They're 1/3 of the price and if you look around a minute you can usually find a nice cloth shower curtain that is nearly identical to some of the high-priced curtains-- and more durable too.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Meh, I use shower curtains.

They're 1/3 of the price and if you look around a minute you can usually find a nice cloth shower curtain that is nearly identical to some of the high-priced curtains-- and more durable too.
That's a great idea!

We aren't supposed to use any window coverings other than the mini-blinds but I am gonna try. I would love to just pull the blinds up and forget they exist!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Next step is half-inch plywood over all the windows...
Maybe that's why some people have their windows boarded - super destructo cats!
I don't have climbers, Sho's so lazy he's lucky if he can make it on the bed.

I don't quite get packaging and prices on curtains and drapes either. Sometimes it's a very very simple curtain with moderate stitching quality. I could go to any fabric store, find the same fabric or a better one (likely on sale too) and make them myself - with better stitching.

In my bedroom there's a large south facing bay window - ick. I've covered it, added a box that allows access for the cats to look out (but no one can see into the room) and put another cat bed up there for them. In front of it, level with the wall are some neat sparkly mesh and satin curtains I made. There was no way I could even remotely have bought something like that for what I made them for.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, not just a guy thing. I decided there was too much light getting in my dining room, and was so proud of myself when I found a whole set of what I needed to cover my windows, chair covers, and tablecloths at a Big Lots for about $50. Did I mention that the chair covers made my back hurt, so they got turned int cat beds and make nifty things to sit on the ground while working on vehicles, and the plastic tablecloths are great for storing under one's truck seat in case you had to change a tire? Much better than laying on the ground. And boy, is all that stuff ugly! It keeps the light out, though, and cools the dining room from the afternoon sun.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is a newish thing to sell them singly, and I think it is to make money. I got caught out once buying a single when I thought I had two, and when I went back there were none left. Grrrr! Anyway, now I make most of mine, and thankfully only Biscotte is a curtain climber.