Pet Owners - Dusting/Cleaning products! Help?!

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

sooooooo my mom taught me a lot of things in life, but the fundamentals of keeping a clean house were lost!! I have two cats and I thought this would be the place to ask about reccomended cleaning products!!

I mostly have hardwood/laminate flooring so that isn't much of an issue, daily sweeping and the odd wash over with a mop is great! especially since my cats LOVE to vomit on the carpet *sigh* even though that usually means the base of their cat tree or the front mat. (any advice for cleaning that?? I use oxyclean....works ok)

My main question is for dusting products!!!

Usually to dust I just wipe the dust off with a dry cloth. Obviously not a good system since it just settles back down, and I am now determined to do a better job. What cleaners/system do you use to dust?? especially a house with animals and hair!!!

Thanks in advance!! I should probably be ashamed to be asking this......

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the dry swiffer wipes, they seem to work just fine at picking up hair and dust without spreading it everywhere. The only time I use anything else is when I am putting oil on the wood furniture. I use lemon oil made specifically for wood furniture. For dusting the wood floors, one of the swiffer things on a stick should work just fine.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of putting outdoor lighting, switches and plugs inside the house, replace the carpet with vinyl, and coat the walls with clear polyurethane; that way I can clean house with a water hose.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Swiffer dry cloths, Swiffer Dusters, or a microfiber cloth. Lately I mainly use the microfiber cloth. The microfiber cloth is great for dusting. Grabs everything, then just throw it in the wash.

Edit: for my wood furniture I like Method "good for wood" cleaner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

I'm thinking of putting outdoor lighting, switches and plugs inside the house, replace the carpet with vinyl, and coat the walls with clear polyurethane; that way I can clean house with a water hose.

a whole new way of thinking........I love it!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem! With 6 cats, 4 dogs and a husband all tracking in mud (which turns to dust when it dries) it is a challenge! One thing I do recommend is don't use Pledge or any kind of polishing spray. It looks wonderful...until the first cat walks across the table and you can see EVERY foot print. It also collects more dust (ie..mud that dried on the carpet). Pledge wipes work better than the spray, IMO. Also, try dryer sheets. I've used them to clean the TV and they work better than a bare cloth that just makes the dust fly everywhere.

Also, what kind of heating/air conditioning system do you have? We have the kind with the vents in the floor that serve as both heat and aircon. My husband cut filters to fit the vents and that cut down on the dust a LOT. I was amazed.

It's sad when you husband has to write on the TV "Dust me!". Of course, he could have just picked up a cloth and wiped it down himself...but he's a smart-a$$

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another way to help control some of the dirt in the house is take off your shoes before you go into the house.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently switched to the swiffer duster and I can dust much faster!!
We heat with wood and in the winter the family room where the wood stove is, is alway dusty.

Oh one item missing is skippymjp's plan is a floor drain in each room!!