I need advice...

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I finally had it with my job. I put my two weeks notice in.
I can't believe that they'd treat me so poorly while treating the manager (so called at least) like a god when I bust my butt 60+ hours a week and he can come in when the schedule is already posted and tell the "supervisor" I am taking vacation, I need it and she's fine with that!

I finally snapped last night. We didn't get out of there until after 2:45 am and we close at 10. I told her that I didn't want to close anymore ( most of the 5 other managers don't ) and she said "well, we will talk about it tomorrow."
Well tomorrow came today and I snapped, I had a migrane and couldn't get out of bed, I called a friend and bawled telling her what happened this past three weeks and how I felt she told me to call in. I told her I couldn't since I only had a half hour before I needed to be there. But when I collapsed in the kitchen, I called my DH and told him I couldn't go in, he said to call in and quit. The stress is horrible. I called in and told them I wouldn't be there, a half hour before I had to work.
I think I might have had a panic attack also. I was in tears for an hour after I got off the phone with work. My head felt like it was splitting in two. But I managed to fall back asleep until 8 tonight. During that time, the supervisor calls me telling me that she can offer me a lesser paying position working only days and I countered with why can't I work days making what I do now, to which she said, salaried managers are EXPECTED to close at least twice a week, ok now if this is true, when does she, and why don't the other 5 managers we have? Granted they are not all salaried managers, but there are two that make managers wages doing crew jobs, how insane is that?
I hardly eat, I barely sleep, I am stressed all the time, I've lost 10 pounds in two weeks, I can't concentrate, I dread going into work, I cry all the time from stress and exhaustion, It's unreal and she's treating me like I'm just the worst employee she's got. I've been there 17 years and I granted I've felt stressed and angry before, but I've reached my breaking point. I can't do it anymore. I actually threatened a crew member with bodily harm. I'm not that type of person, but I guess pushed to my limits, I am.. I feel stupid and defeated. I should've gotten another job first, but I just can't stomach working there anymore then I have to. I feel sick thinking about working tomorrow because it's a closing shift. I know I won't be out of there until after 1 at the earliest. But I have to finish out my two weeks. (not that they will rehire me. but it's for me not them)
Now for the advice part, do you think I did the right thing by leaving? Or should I have stuck it out and seen if it got any better? So far it's proven to not be getting better, just worse. Any advice on this would be great, I've been there 17 years, I'm kind of lost...

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you made the right choice by leaving. No job is worth risking your health or sanity.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
17 years you say and they still treat you like merde? i dont think so, quitting is just opening a new door for you to a better job with better wages and a better life.

Ive had a job like that before and i refuse to do something like that again, ive found many other better paying jobs, granted i did work 16 hours plus in the last month, but I did it out of my own will because i saw there was an end to it and then to enjoy life.

Why put your life in so much stress? its so short.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I was treated the same way and quit after 15 years when we moved here. I even got yelled at when my cats died for Crying and I was doing them a favor working on a Holiday and Ot. I have not found a Job here though. You did the right thing. I should have done it years ago.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely! You did the right thing in leaving!! Even if you don't have another job to go to, that's ok - jsut take a little bit of time to de-stress, to re-group and then figure out where to go from here. You really need to take some time-out now.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't doubt that you've done the right thing. Nobody deserves to be treated that poorly. You've given them far too much of your time already. I sincerely hope that you start to feel better about your decision. Life is far too short to dread going to work. I watched my father detest his job for his entire life, and it certainly took a toll on our family and his health. I hope that the next job you find is something you enjoy doing, with people you enjoy working around. It can make all the difference in the world. Good luck!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO no job is worth you being sick, too much stress, unfair practices. Under the circumstances, I think it would be good to look for another job that you enjoy.

I wish you the best in finding another job quickly

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's best that you took some time out now hunni, some 'me' time will do you the world of good, and you will feel so much better for it. You did the right thing by leaving, no job is worth going to if it makes you feel so stressed out like that. You need to put your health first

Wishing you luck in finding a new and fulfilling job..vibes too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all.
I know life's not fair, and that sometimes you have to roll with the punches, but comeon, how many punches does a person have to take? Why do people think they can take advantage of others and treat them so poorly?
I gave 17 years of my life for that store. Giving an honest days work for a crappy wage. I hardly ever called in unless I had a seizure (only three in 39 years) and honestly couldn't work. I have never hated anything so much. I'd take working with my ex husband over being there another minute, and I can't stand the sight of him. Like I said, I had stresses before but nothing like this. I just wanted to be treated like I am a human being, not a slave.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You absolutely did the right thing... I work retail and completely understand... I've had my
jobs as well... in one, I got to my breaking point with my supervisor and made the decision... I walked in, made one last 'employee purchase' (bad, I know, but hey, I needed the items), and talked to the store manager. No one else. I never went back, not even to shop. Basically, when I wanted to get homicidal on my supervisor, I knew it was time to quit...

You need time to destress and pay attention to your life... period. Since you are still going back in for your two weeks, I would honestly write down all the things that are bugging you, in a calm manner, when you aren't as emotional... and before you leave, sit down with the head honcho of the store (or if you know a regional manager, that might help), and discuss, calmly, what you've written down. Simply ask to be heard, and they can comment after you're done. One of my current jobs (non-retail), we're done that because we're being treated like 2nd class citizens there... our supervisor is listening... we also talked to the HR rep... which helped... Sometimes, if the immediate boss won't listen, take it above them... like a Regional Mgr... you are being treated unfairly, you need to let them know that, but be calm about it. If the last impression you leave is of emotion and crying, they won't take you seriously... so write it out and then take that to someone in charge and have a serious, calm sit-down...

Good luck, and I believe this will open up doors for you... things will get better...

Amanda

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a HEROINE for doing what you did! I wish I'd had the self-respect to walk out, but I just clung grimly to the job for 18 years, firmly convinced that I didn't deserve any better, blind to all the lies and manipulations until it was 'way too late to reclaim my reputation. As a friend of mine said, you would have thought I had "VICTIM" tattooed on my forehead.

BUT YOU GOT OUT! Congratulations! Now you can start a whole new chapter of your life, and you don't ever have to take that kind of abuse again. I'm so happy for you!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love all of you! thank you for making me feel like I've done the right thing.
I hope that they finally realize that treating people like crap won't get them anywhere, except for a failed business.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me ask you something. Does your company have a pension plan for anyone who has been there for 20 years? If so, could they have been trying to make your life miserable because the company doesn't want to pay your pension/retirement?

This is happening with my husband's cousin...getting the crappy shifts, riding her constantly, basically they are trying for MAKE her quit before she reaches 20 years (she's worked there 16 years now). Just something to think about.

But, I think you made the right decision. Absolutely! Pension or not, if stress from work is affecting you that much when you are home, it's not worth it. Panic attacks aren't fun, and you don't need that in your life. You won't BELIEVE the feeling of relief when you work your last shift and leave there for the last time! I think you'll be much happier once you are out of there, and have the time to look for a job that you will enjoy.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie I am so sorry you have to go through that! It is good that your DH is behind you on this.

When I worked for a bail bond agency, I was blamed that paperwork was not entered into the computer on a timely manner. I can't enter it in if I do not receive the bonds.. My boss would come in when and if he felt like it, cussing a blue streak at the agents (I was the secretary) or cussing at me or his wife (my best friend at the time). They laid me off right before Christmas 1999 with a one months severence (I had been there 2 yrs)

Know what? They wanted me back a couple of months later because they realized I was not the one messing up. I told them where to go. I now work for a company that pays fairly well. I have been there 8 years now.

You did the right thing though. No one deserves to be treated like dirt.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I have to add is not to burn your bridges. If you choose to talk to someone about what is wrong with the comapny or the personal, do it in a professinal manner. Anything less will come off as whining (and may affect future references) or ignored (might as well save your breath).

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
It sounds like the job was destroying you and it is wise you leave. As mentioned before, conduct yourself in a professional manner for these last 2 weeks. You will find a new opportunity and be much happier.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to congratulate you for finally quitting that job!!

From past posts you haven't been happy there for quite some time. I hope you are feeling better about your decision. As to your fellow employees you might feel that you are letting them done but how many people have you seem come and go in all that time??

I would ask for an exit interview for some type of HR person and personally associated with that store. Write down the "bad" episodes so you remember them and corrective action can be made.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Let me ask you something. Does your company have a pension plan for anyone who has been there for 20 years? If so, could they have been trying to make your life miserable because the company doesn't want to pay your pension/retirement?

This is happening with my husband's cousin...getting the crappy shifts, riding her constantly, basically they are trying for MAKE her quit before she reaches 20 years (she's worked there 16 years now). Just something to think about.

But, I think you made the right decision. Absolutely! Pension or not, if stress from work is affecting you that much when you are home, it's not worth it. Panic attacks aren't fun, and you don't need that in your life. You won't BELIEVE the feeling of relief when you work your last shift and leave there for the last time! I think you'll be much happier once you are out of there, and have the time to look for a job that you will enjoy.
No pension plan. No benefits of any kind. They took that away when the owner bought the place 5 years ago.

Originally Posted by Mom of 4

The only thing I have to add is not to burn your bridges. If you choose to talk to someone about what is wrong with the comapny or the personal, do it in a professinal manner. Anything less will come off as whining (and may affect future references) or ignored (might as well save your breath).
I'm not burning anything. I went in today to the meeting, talked to her after and told her that her offer to me was a slap in the face after being there 17 years, and she told me "techincally I've only been there 3 weeks" Um are you kidding me? If that's the case, then I don't need to put that "job" on on my resumes? I also told her that I would work my two weeks each shift I was scheduled, (knowing I wouldn't get a good reference no matter what I do) but I am not willing to put my health into jeapordy for a job. I also told her that I was a good worker and that I was good at what I did, honest and hard working and that it was not bragging, it was the truth, but I was not going to be treated like crap at each turn. and I finished to say that I was not going around trying to get people to "leave with me" like she's been asking them and if she was wondering that why didn't she just ask and I'd have told her that myself instead of having someone ask all the people I'm friends with there. Then I asked if we were finished, and she said yes and I went and waited for a co worker to get done so we could leave.
Originally Posted by GailC

I want to congratulate you for finally quitting that job!!

From past posts you haven't been happy there for quite some time. I hope you are feeling better about your decision. As to your fellow employees you might feel that you are letting them done but how many people have you seem come and go in all that time??

I would ask for an exit interview for some type of HR person and personally associated with that store. Write down the "bad" episodes so you remember them and corrective action can be made.
There isn't an HR person. I wish there was. I have lots to tell someone like that. Maybe I'll just email the owner and let him know why I'm leaving. I'm sure he's heard her side of it, I'd like him to hear mine. Better yet, I'll call him, I have Wed and Fri off, I'll email him and ask if I can talk to him about it.