Mushroom hunting

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone go out and look for morels in the Spring? It's probably too early but I suggested to DH that we go have a look see tomorrow out in the woods by this road out by us. My parents have a wooded lot and when I was 16 I found like 40 or 50 morels just beyond my Dads yard. They were huge too. I've seen a few out there once and a while but nothing like that one time.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did when I lived in Michigan. I found some huge ones too!

People go mushroom hunting around here, but not sure who's property we could go hunting on. It's fun and I'd really like to do it again some spring.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw something really odd and thought it might be a hugh morel but it was an oriole nest from last year!! We have found only a couple on our property every year but we have "wild " asparagus and well as the cultivated stuff.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds dangerous unless you are an expert in that.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

sounds dangerous unless you are an expert in that.
If in doubt, double check by looking them up before you eat any.

A lot of box turtle keeper report that there's a particular type of mildly toxic mushroom that box turtles seek out and devour (with glee, even
). I'm a bit too leery to go hunting for what is a known toxic mushroom for them..

Of course, half the fun is hunting.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

If in doubt, double check by looking them up before you eat any.
The problem is that there are a lot of look alikes. A simple comparsion visual isn't always sufficient.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*confession* Ive never gone hunting for any mushrooms that you didn't have to turn over a cow pie for... Toxic or not, young and stupid comes to mind! I believe that turtles would go looking for them, but after getting a little bit older I can't imagine eating any that didn't come from the store! YUCK!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I live morel mushrooms are about thirty bucks a pound!!!!!! I think it's because they can't be farmed and conditions have to be just right for them to pop up. When they do come up there is only a short window to pick them. They don't live long plus deer like to eat them.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

The problem is that there are a lot of look alikes. A simple comparsion visual isn't always sufficient.
You could say that about all foods. For example, the human nose cannot detect spoiled foods until they're significantly spoiled - yet we still all eat food and take it on faith that it's safe.

People have been collecting and eating wild mushrooms for a very long time. I'm not even sure there is such a thing as an "expert" when it comes to collecting mushrooms.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't think of another mushroom that could be mistaken for a morel.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

People have been collecting and eating wild mushrooms for a very long time. I'm not even sure there is such a thing as an "expert" when it comes to collecting mushrooms.
True. But seems like a big risk to take all for mushrooms that you can safely buy at the store or get at places you eat.

I wonder this now. How many people really go picking mushrooms? How did those people decide to this and decide what you were going to pick and consume? Still sounds dangerous to me!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

I dont think we have any of those mushrooms around here! Are they tasty?
Very tasty. Morels are have rich, buttery flavor. They also have a meaty texture. You can fry them plain or dip them in egg then batter them with fry magic.