Dangerous?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think it's unsafe to keep a dish towel under the toaster to catch crumbs? I had one under and DH took it out because "it's dangerous". I wouldn't think a toaster would be hot long enough to set a dish towel on fire.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Where fire is concerned, I take zero chances. It's just too horrible a possibility not to do everything you possibly can to prevent it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything that heats up or has fire is subject to start a fire. Think of it this way: IF the toaster sparks at the electric cord for some reason and one of the sparks falls on the dishtowel it COULD start a fire.

Better to not have a towel under the toaster and just periodically clean out the toaster and the crumbs

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A toaster is the appliance most likely to just spark and catch fire when left plugged in. I really would think twice about having a towel under it. I saw that on a show about household safety. It showed survivors that had been horribly burned just because their toaster had been innocently left plugged in. When I was growing up, we constantly left ours plugged in on the counter and never thought a thing about it. Please don't risk it. I still unplug mine and put it in the cabinet every time I use it after seeing the damage it could do.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is a fire hazard

I still unplug mine and put it in the cabinet every time I use it after seeing the damage it could do.
Yes, all appliances and other electrical devises, are still active and do consume electricity, even when they are not being used. Therefore, I unplug anything I am not using (or will not be using for a while) for the most part, except my computer, washer, dryer and microwave. Our TV is on a "switched" outlet that I can turn off on the wall. You can never be too safe, where fire safety is concerned. Please do not risk it, keep the towels away from the toaster and keep it unplugged while not in use

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't do it. I don't even like to have tea towels on the oven door when I'm using it as they do get warm.

Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

Our TV is on a "switched" outlet that I can turn off on the wall
I forgot you don't generally have switch outlets over there, it was so strange when I lived in Canada to just plug things in, over here it's considered dangerous to have the switch on and plug in.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jeez, you guys must be related to my BIL. He can't stand to leave anything plugged in.

I wouldn't put a dishtowel under a toaster, although it's important to remember that heat rises. If I thought I needed something under the toaster, I'd put a sheet of aluminum foil.

Very few small kitchen appliances consume any electricity when they aren't turned on. Your toaster almost certainly doesn't, unless it has a timer on it. Your coffeemaker might, if it has a timer. But in most cases, when an appliance is off, the electricity stops at the switch and nothing is "hot" after that point.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As everyone said, I wouldn't do it either.

I do leave things plugged in though..it seems annoying to unplug the ones with clocks on them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

If I thought I needed something under the toaster, I'd put a sheet of aluminum foil.
That's what I ended up doing.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It all depends, are you right there when the towel is underneath it?? I wouldn't leave one under there if I wasn't right there while the toaster was plugged in! My toaster broke the other day, turned my toast into pieces of charcoal...