I need advice! (looooong)

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I have been managing the mobile home park I live in for the last 3 weeks.
I worked a deal out with the owner that for the 1st month (or until I found another job because my other employer closed his business
) I wouldn't have to pay rent and then after that I would only pay half of the rent... Sounded like a good deal, right?

WRONG! SOOOO WRONG!

I have been working like 70 hours every week!
No joke! I'm tired, my house is a mess, my kids are just screaming for my attention, the critters need a bath, we've been living off fast food, I barely get to take a shower and when I do it's like a 10 min shower and someone is either calling or knocking, and to be honest there has been a couple nights I was too tired to help the kids with thier homework
I calculated up the hours I worked compared to the rent I would have paid and I'm making like $2.50 an hour!

I'm a total mess!!!

So last week one of the jobs I sumbited my resume to called me. I went for the interview on Thursday and they called me yesterday and said I got the job!

So I told the owner last night that I have a job offer making quite a bit an hour and he was ok with it. He said he would still want me to handle collecting rent.
Then all of a sudden after he left last night, the office hours went missing off my door
They stated what days I was closed too.
So when I asked the owner what happened to them, he said he took them off and we can't have ANY days closed..... at all!

I was livid but kept my mouth shut..
Well, today I was painting a unit (not something I'm used to doing) and I told him that Monday I would be getting things together for me to start my new job.
His reply was "well, you still have one more week free so I want you to get #2 and #5 ready before you start your new job"
I about screamed!

These two are a total mess! Meaning they need floors, and cabinets replaced. Things I can't do physically.
I have 2 choices here:
1. Bite the bullet and do as much as I possibly can on these 2 units. Meaning my house and everything else will be a total MESS when I go to work Tuesday.
Or.
2. Tell him I can't do it and pay him the rent this coming Friday. (we pay by the week)
Only problem with #2 is that the owner is less than honest. I'm afraid he will tell me I have to pay rent NOW (which I don't have) or say that I owe him for the last 3 weeks and he'll kick me out and I don't have ANY money to move

I don't know what to do! I'm so stressed out and confused that I have been in tears all day long!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Only problem with #2 is that the owner is less than honest.
That's an understatement. He sure took advantage of you.

Maybe you can try #2 with a long and exaggerated tale of woe.
There's a chance he will understand.
BTW, congratulations on the new job!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that park owner is sure taking advantage of you
I agree with trying to pay the rent - it's his place after all, and it's up to him to try to get his spaces habitable. That said, maybe you could offer to help him make phone calls to enlist the paid help (yes, he will have to pay someone else - oh well, that's life - he needs to realize that).
And I join Yayi in congratulations on your new job

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just tell him that you can't. And let him know that according the labour laws, you are entitled to days off, and you are taking this weekend off.

By law he should have had a back up caretaker who could take your place on your days off and after certain hours. What he has been doing is illegal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

that park owner is sure taking advantage of you
I agree with trying to pay the rent - it's his place after all, and it's up to him to try to get his spaces habitable. That said, maybe you could offer to help him make phone calls to enlist the paid help (yes, he will have to pay someone else - oh well, that's life - he needs to realize that).
And I join Yayi in congratulations on your new job
He really needs a contractor in here to do this stuff.. Seriously, some of these places are horrid!
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Just tell him that you can't. And let him know that according the labour laws, you are entitled to days off, and you are taking this weekend off.

By law he should have had a back up caretaker who could take your place on your days off and after certain hours. What he has been doing is illegal.
Oh there's LOTS of things he does that are illegal!

I mentioned that maybe the people who are short on the rent could help out doing some things. But nooooooooo he wants the

There are a couple of people here that are out of work and more then willing to do what they can to help out and even take it off thier rent.
But he doesn't want to do it.
He has a Hotel/Motel license and boy does he use it!
I've seen him do some things in here that just shocked me! He thinks he's above the law and that everyone (including me) should worship the ground he walks on because he "allowed" them to move in

He will tell me that nothing is getting done around here and then all in the same sentence say I've done more then anyone else has in 4 yrs!
He really doesn't make sense to me.

And just yesterday, I was painting and he called me. He told me to come to the laundry room and wipe down the washing machines.
I was thinking "What? Wiping those down are more important then getting this place rented?"
Then he said "Nothing's getting done around here. You need to wipe these everyday." I told him I've been busting my hump, working 13-14 hours a day here and I haven't had time to worry about the washing machines"
He said "Oh I know, you've been really busy around here"... huh?????
I'm just soooo frustrated that I could pull my hair out!

I will be sooooooooo happy when I start this new job!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That guy is taking advantage of you. I would slow down your pace of work you are doing for him-I would make a list of what you have done so far and the hours it has taken.