Inapproperate Chewing

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay so Tom has this really annoying habbit of chewing very strange things. At first I thought its because my apartment is a pig sty(it is I have garbage covering the floors). He likes to find stuff on the floor and chew on it for hours, and this would be an issue but theres rotting things there and I don't want him getting sick. He also likes chewing on the metal parts of his cage(when he isn't in it) and last night he started to chew the coffee table at my summer home...almost bit off the corner of the table before I shooed him away.

I feed him on a regular basis(1 cup of food every day and about 2 cups of water every 2 days) so I don't think its hunger. He is about 11 months old so it might just be an age thing but I don't like him chewing my furniture. He also has a habbit of chewing electrical things...while there plugged in. He has ruined about 5 pairs of head phones, a cell phone charger, and has recently started chewing the power cable to my lap top.

How do I stop the chewing.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
firstly i would say that he needs more food and constant access to clean, fresh water.

i'm a little confused as to why you have rotting garbage on your floors. you are putting your cat at risk as he is no doubt 'chewing' on these inappropriate things because he is hungry. and why is he in a cage sometimes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only cage him in the car because I live alone and no one rides with me when I take him places so he has to get caged. And the rotting garbage...well yeah thats just my lazyness there. I cleaned the apartment once since he lived there and it was at x-mas time. He was really confused by the cleaning.

And I am surprised to hear you say he needs more food my vet told me 1/2 a cup a day and he is getting a little pudgy(maybe from the things he finds on the floor...). And I agree with you about he water *goes to change it*.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, look for your health and well being as well as toms, you really should sort out the rotting garbage situation. it is not good for anyone to be living in those conditions.

also i think tom sounds really bored, what with chewing the wires, cables etc. that is not normal behaviour for a cat. do you provide him with toys, a cat tree, things to do?

as far as the food thing goes, it does sound too little. so how much exercise does he get? i have 2 indoor kitties and while they do provide each other with alot of entertainment, it is also up to me to ensure they are given adequate stimulation as they don't go outside.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by algebrapro18

... 2 cups of water every 2 days
Cats should have free access to fresh water everyday.

Originally Posted by tab

ok, look for your health and well being as well as toms, you really should sort out the rotting garbage situation. it is not good for anyone to be living in those conditions.
I agree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has tons of things to do actually. I have ball galore for him to play with in my room(which is the cleanest area). I also play with him at least 4 hours a day and I am thinking about getting him one of those cardboard things once I get the money(I'm broke at the moment).

tallulah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thing I would have a good spring clean, I am sure he will join in, and it will keep him entertained. Good luck.

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not trying to offend you with this, but rotting garbage on the floor? Quite frankly, that's disgusting, and a completely inappropriate environment for someone (human or otherwise) to live in. I'm sure you love your cat dearly, but what you're describing is very dangerous - wires and electronics left out for him to chew, rotten food that could make him very very sick... if you have a problem with keeping your house clean enough to live in, perhaps you should consider temporarily relocating him until you can get (and keep) things under control.

As far as his chewing, I would actually take him to a vet. It could be he's having pain in his teeth or mouth and trying to alleviate it by chewing on things. Beyond that, I can only strongly recommend cleaning your house thoroughly and putting all potentially hazardous things away.

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abstract

I'm not trying to offend you with this, but rotting garbage on the floor? Quite frankly, that's disgusting, and a completely inappropriate environment for someone (human or otherwise) to live in.
I have to say that I agree.

I consider myself a bit of a lazy person when it comes to cleaning because I generally have a few water glasses cluttering up my night stand, and the once-in-awhile plate left over from a midnight snack. Rotting garbage is so far over that line that I can't imagine it.

One needs to be able to take healthy care of oneself before one brings a pet into the mix.