Switch to all wet food diet?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Popsie is really enjoying his new low phos. low protein wet food. He likes it so much that when he's get hungry again he goes back and eats the leftover portions. With his old diet he'd leave uneaten portions and eat dry. Well ever since I started him on this food he hasn't touched his dry. So I guess I'm thinking if he's satisfied from his wet food only, should I even bother with dry food anymore. I haven't be able to get him low phos. low protein dry food yet. I was planning on doing that Monday. Why waste money though if he's not even going to eat dry food anymore. What are your opinions on an all wet diet?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Popsie was diagnosed with early CRF, and since he seems to like the renal wet food, I'd say just switch him over. CRF kitties need the extra water in the canned food to help their remaining kidney tissue function optimally. I keep a bag of Hills k/d dry food in an airtight container, and use it as the girls' treat. They get about a tablespoon of dry food, a couple of times a week. Their diet consists totallly of canned food.

As a side note, the canned diet (with the extra water content) might actually help with Popsie's constipation issues too!

zirkel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you need to feed dry for your convenience, I wouldn't bother with the dry. Just keep an eye on his body condition--I've had a couple of cats who lost too much weight on wet alone. I also have a cat who gains weight on everything, so it really just depends on the cat. I personally feed some dry because my young, active cat loses too much weight on canned alone and because I'm often gone for 12 or more hours at a time. Otherwise, I'd love to feed all wet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Unless you need to feed dry for your convenience, I wouldn't bother with the dry. Just keep an eye on his body condition--I've had a couple of cats who lost too much weight on wet alone. I also have a cat who gains weight on everything, so it really just depends on the cat. I personally feed some dry because my young, active cat loses too much weight on canned alone and because I'm often gone for 12 or more hours at a time. Otherwise, I'd love to feed all wet.
Well I like to leave dry down for him in case he gets hungry and I'm not home to feed him wet. I think I'm going to buy him a bag of renal diet dry anyway. He loves loves the renal diet wet food. Maybe he'll like the dry as well.