Did she lose her mucus plug?

mama311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so about ten minutes ago Zoey got up from my bed and started sniffing the sheet where she had been laying and then sat with her mouth open. So I got up to look and I noticed a little wet spot but in didn't really smell like urine. Then I looked more and I saw two more little spots that looked kind of blood tinged or orange tinged. Was that her mucus plug? I am getting nervous she is due any day now.......I appreciate any input.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she is opening her mouth and panting then labor is coming! Watch her closely and move her over to her box. My cat liked me being there when she delivered.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By your description, I suspect you will be having kittens soon. Panting is a sign of impending labor, as is the spotting!

Good luck and here's to smooth healthy deliveries!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mama311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well it didn't seem like she was panting more just smelling it and then sat with her mouth open a few seconds so what does that mean?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mama311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well she more sort of smelled it and sat with her mouth open for a few seconds. Also, it didn't seem mucousy. But I didn't really want to touch it. So I guess my question is, "What is it supposed to look like?"

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mama311

Well it didn't seem like she was panting more just smelling it and then sat with her mouth open a few seconds so what does that mean?
A cat doesnt pant like a dog, their tongue doesnt hang out of their mouth. Their mouth hangs open with a heavier rythmic breathing pattern.

On average, a cat will have her kittens within a day of losing her plug. But sometimes there is spotting up to a week before.

Good luck! I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. Cant wait to hear about healthy kitten arrivals!

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mama311

Well she more sort of smelled it and sat with her mouth open for a few seconds. Also, it didn't seem mucousy. But I didn't really want to touch it. So I guess my question is, "What is it supposed to look like?"
I don't know if this is what it's supposed to look like, but Ms Friskers' mucus plug pretty much looked exactly like the name would suggest: like a large, kind of bloody, nasty, booger. Honestly, it was pretty gross, and it would be hard to miss. (I accidentally ended up with it on my fingers, so I may be overestimating the grossness.)

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoethor2

I don't know if this is what it's supposed to look like, but Ms Friskers' mucus plug pretty much looked exactly like the name would suggest: like a large, kind of bloody, nasty, booger. Honestly, it was pretty gross, and it would be hard to miss. (I accidentally ended up with it on my fingers, so I may be overestimating the grossness.)
You are describing it well. This is exactly what Sophie's looked like.