TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Looking For a Good Breeder
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking For a Good Breeder

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hello Breeders

For about a year and a half, I've been researching and planning to buy a kitten during the Summer of 2008, preferably a few weeks *before* I move into my new house, August 19. The reason is because I will be moving out of my parents house, but plan to return and stay a few times a year (during holidays) and I want the new kitten to become somewhat accustomed to my dog and my parents two male cats (4 years old and 1/2 year old). So I have a few questions for you and I'm hoping you guys can help me and point me in the direction of the perfect kitten for me!

Questions
1. Do you think it makes a difference if I get a male or a female. Ideally, I would like this kitten to be able to integrate into my all male cat community as easily as possible. Can this be achieved easier with a particular sex? With most breeds, I've always found that males are more laid back, but maybe a female plus the two (neutered) males would do best?

2. I have narrowed my preference down to a few breeds; (Traditional or Classic) Siamese, Tonkinese, Ragdoll, Maine Coon and American Bobtail. Obviously I'm a color point fan, but personality and health are most important to me. The traits I'm looking for in a cat companion is easily handled, affectionate, yet playful and somewhat active (the reason I've ruled out Himalayan, as much as I love them!). I'd like a breed who integrates well into a household of existing creatures. Perhaps an intelligent breed, I'd like to train it to walk on a leash because I don't want to let it outside. Given these preferences, do you think there are some other breeds that might also suit me? I'm not one for too much grooming, but from what I understand the long hairs I mentioned have somewhat manageable coats.

3. Where can I find a good breeder? I've just googled words like "Siamese breeder New York" or looked on TICA and breedlist.com. Anybody know of any good breeders in New York or New Jersey? I'm on Long Island, but I'm willing to drive as far as 4 hours each way.

4. I'd like to spend no more than $600, but preferably around $500 or less. Is this unrealistic? I haven't ruled out a breed rescue, in fact, there is a nice Siamese Rescue in NYC who I'm keeping in mind, but I do think I'd prefer a pure bred from a breeder.

If I think of anymore questions, I'll add to this thread! Thanks in advance for the wonderful advice I'm sure I'll receive!

Jill
post #2 of 17
I think males (neutered) adjust faster and better then females. You might look into Retired breeder/show cats for one you like in your area. These are usually under 5 yrs old and already spayed/neutered and would be well within your cost range (probably a lot less).

BTW Maine Coons do NOT come in colorpoints! Not sure if the Bobtails allow that - I'd have to check the standards.

Another place is to check out a local show and contact breeders there - go online to Cat Fanciers Association, American Cat Fanciers Association, or TICA for a list of shows that might be coming up.

Here's the link for the retired breeders:

http://www.breedlist.com/seekers.html


I will tell you that most US breeders do NOT want their cats outside - leash or no leash.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
I think males (neutered) adjust faster and better then females. You might look into Retired breeder/show cats for one you like in your area. These are usually under 5 yrs old and already spayed/neutered and would be well within your cost range (probably a lot less).

BTW Maine Coons do NOT come in colorpoints! Not sure if the Bobtails allow that - I'd have to check the standards.

Another place is to check out a local show and contact breeders there - go online to Cat Fanciers Association, American Cat Fanciers Association, or TICA for a list of shows that might be coming up.

Here's the link for the retired breeders:

http://www.breedlist.com/seekers.html


I will tell you that most US breeders do NOT want their cats outside - leash or no leash.
Thank you!
No, I know Maine Coon's don't come in CP but American Bobs do. Still, I think I'm going to have to stay with Siamese. All in all they seem like the perfect cat for me. I am going to get in touch with the breeder who sold us Raymond. He's my ideal cat and I know she's ethical and her prices are within my price range.

I will check the Retired Friends list. I've been on it recently and if I remember correctly the only retired Siamese are in FLA. A little too far for me to drive and I'm not one to have a cat shipped.


I thought I've heard people advocating walking an indoor cat? What are the disadvantages and dangers? Is it even unsafe to bring your cat out on a leash in your own backyard?

Thanks again! I appreciate your advice!
post #4 of 17
I totally love my Ragdoll - he was and is, extremely playful - and is now maturing (a bit) into a cat that wants to know what I'm doing most of the time. He doesn't want to be like - touching me - but if I get up, he follows me around. And he doesn't talk very much at all. Very easy to groom, and gets along with everyone, although a little rough at times!
post #5 of 17
I have a Siamese Mix and love her. I also had a Seal Point Siamese before and she was great too.
post #6 of 17
I probably shouldn't respond but I will - I'm very biased toward Siamese.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillie View Post
I thought I've heard people advocating walking an indoor cat? What are the disadvantages and dangers? Is it even unsafe to bring your cat out on a leash in your own backyard?
Over here breeders like their kittens to be on a harness, in an enclosure or cat proof garden if outdoors.

I take mine into the backyard a few times a week, they know harness=outdoors and don't try to escape at other times. I like giving them some outdoor time, if that's something you want to do bring it up to the breeder maybe?

Good luck in your search, oh and if you like Siamese you'll love an Ocicat
post #8 of 17
It won't hurt to have the cat on harness/leash and in your backyard. The only indoor/outdoor cat I owned was my first one, Mitten. After he got in an argument with a neighborhood cat, he never went outside unless I was with him.

Most breeders' cats have been inside all their lives and would probably freak out if alllowed out or even on a harness - that's one reason they don't want them outside. You could ask the breeder what they thought of training to harness/leash and sitting outside in the backyard.
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I probably shouldn't respond but I will - I'm very biased toward Siamese.

So am I! Which is why I settled on them! I had decided on them initially, but wanted to do a little research first. I don't see how I could go wrong with a Siamese! And I've found a few great breeders with whom I've been in contact. Yosemite, do you see a big difference between males and females? The best Siamese I've ever had was a female, but the males have been consistently wonderful... I think I'm going to go with a male, but I'd like your opinion. I'm not particular about a color, the only standard Siamese color I've not owned yet are the beautiful Lilacs, so we shall see ;-) I appreciate everybody's advice!


Jill
post #10 of 17
well..I am a persian Biased.. LOL

I would talk to the breeder about harness leash training. We have two girls here who like to go outside on a harness leash and we take them out for little walks around the yard because they enjoy it. But most everyone else in the house is happy just in the window.

infact..now that i mention it my pretty girl is asking for her walk now, its lovely out today.
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillie View Post
So am I! Which is why I settled on them! I had decided on them initially, but wanted to do a little research first. I don't see how I could go wrong with a Siamese! And I've found a few great breeders with whom I've been in contact. Yosemite, do you see a big difference between males and females? The best Siamese I've ever had was a female, but the males have been consistently wonderful... I think I'm going to go with a male, but I'd like your opinion. I'm not particular about a color, the only standard Siamese color I've not owned yet are the beautiful Lilacs, so we shall see ;-) I appreciate everybody's advice!


Jill

I've had both male and female and honestly have to say my little female, Susie, was more affectionate with me than Bijou. That's not to say Bijou isn't affectionate - he is, but he seems to equally divide his affections between hubby and I (and daughter as well of course). For instance, he only ever sleeps curled up with me, but only ever sleeps on hubby's lap in the living room. So, I cannot say one sex is more affectionate than the other. Our little Mika is also very affectionate but in a much different way than her brother Bijou. Mika tends to be a bit more skittish but Bijou is so laid back it's funny. We (any of us) can do raspberries on his tummy, play with his feet and kiss him all over and he never protests. Both cats have a wonderful disposition and neither has a mean bone in their bodies.

The Blue or Lilac Points have always been my favourite, so Bijou and Mika are our dream kitties.
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I've had both male and female and honestly have to say my little female, Susie, was more affectionate with me than Bijou. That's not to say Bijou isn't affectionate - he is, but he seems to equally divide his affections between hubby and I (and daughter as well of course). For instance, he only ever sleeps curled up with me, but only ever sleeps on hubby's lap in the living room. So, I cannot say one sex is more affectionate than the other. Our little Mika is also very affectionate but in a much different way than her brother Bijou. Mika tends to be a bit more skittish but Bijou is so laid back it's funny. We (any of us) can do raspberries on his tummy, play with his feet and kiss him all over and he never protests. Both cats have a wonderful disposition and neither has a mean bone in their bodies.

The Blue or Lilac Points have always been my favourite, so Bijou and Mika are our dream kitties.
Aw! Sounds like Joyce (our old Blue Pt. Female)

Well, my kitty will be born in the end of May. At the end of June I get to go pick one out, so I definitely choose based on temperament and not so much on sex or color, although the mother is a Chocolate Point and the father is a Lilac Point so all they will produce are Chocolates and Lilacs. I can't wait!

When my family went to pick up Joyce to bring her home, the breeder cried. She said she could tell this kitten was very special and was one of the best she had seen in all her years of breeding.... how could you not love a Siamese?
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillie View Post
so I definitely choose based on temperament and not so much on sex or color
This is very wise. Waiting is hard though
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillie View Post
Aw! Sounds like Joyce (our old Blue Pt. Female)

Well, my kitty will be born in the end of May. At the end of June I get to go pick one out, so I definitely choose based on temperament and not so much on sex or color, although the mother is a Chocolate Point and the father is a Lilac Point so all they will produce are Chocolates and Lilacs. I can't wait!

When my family went to pick up Joyce to bring her home, the breeder cried. She said she could tell this kitten was very special and was one of the best she had seen in all her years of breeding.... how could you not love a Siamese?
Joyce sounds special. I agree with you of course, how could you not love a Siamese! But, sadly, some folks have such poor notions about these wonderful cats. I have to say my husband believed them to be nasty cats until we got Bijou - now he's smitten. My neighbour told her kids that Siamese will destory your house and others say they are nasty. Too bad.

If you get a chance, check out Gayef's siggie - her George is divine and I'm in love with him.
post #15 of 17
Personally I have YET to really meet a nasty Siamese (pet or show) I've met some grouchy older ones, but not of them mean or nasty
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Personally I have YET to really meet a nasty Siamese (pet or show) I've met some grouchy older ones, but not of them mean or nasty
I've met a couple that required a little longer introduction period. I catsit for my neighbour when she travels to South Carolina for family holidays. She has 2 cats - Sophie the Siamese and Lenny the Burmese. Lenny just loves to snuggle and be held and petted. Sophie, on the other hand, is not at all friendly. She'll try to nail me when I put her food down. I reached out to her and she bit me quite hard. I ignored her and lay down on their couch to snuggle with Lenny. She waited 5 or 10 minutes and jumped up on the couch, and slowly manoeuvred herself to sit on my hip until I moved. I suspect that as time goes on and she sees more of me, she will be more accepting.
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
Joyce sounds special. I agree with you of course, how could you not love a Siamese! But, sadly, some folks have such poor notions about these wonderful cats. I have to say my husband believed them to be nasty cats until we got Bijou - now he's smitten. My neighbour told her kids that Siamese will destory your house and others say they are nasty. Too bad.

If you get a chance, check out Gayef's siggie - her George is divine and I'm in love with him.
Must be that darn Lady and the Tramp movie!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Looking For a Good Breeder